Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hondabond HT rocks, and lets have a RTV/sealant discussion thread!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ghuff
I have yet to find a product this cheap that works this well. 12$ a tube and it is better than the permatex right stuff and VW sealant that is 40$ per tube.

It's RTV but thicker, and you can sculpt with it almost.

I used a very light layer of it on my intake pieces. This was after removing the dead paper gasket from the phenolic spacer/intake manifold gasket on my 1.8l L-jet. Snugged down the 13mm nuts on the studs and barely any visible bleed out. It's thick so it will not compress out like RTV unless you torque on it very hard.

I guarantee this seals better than any brand new intake manifold gasket.

Not original/concourse but I could not see spending 8$ on a new gasket to get another plastic phenolic spacer with paper attached to it that sucks.

IPB Image

You could easily do an oilpan gasket out of this, it is much easier to work with than permatex right stuff, which I had used in the past for gasketless sealing.

We all know standard RTV sucks and compresses out, does not stick etc.

Pick up a tube for 12$ and see for yourself, most honda dealers have it or order it from the internet.

If I missed the memo on an equal or better product for this price or cheaper please let me know.

Opinions, and your favorite sealants and stuff for these jobs?

I want to add, this stuff rules so much the sealant creep effect on compression was so miniscule there is no way it would creep into the intake ports.... like the RTV over the dead greasy/oily paper that was on there before. Also, all surfaces should be super clean. I wire brushed the head surface and held my shop vac next to the brush/ports to suck debris up then vacuumed the intake ports back out as well.
Sleepin
Hondabond is great IMO! I have used it for a lot of unorthodox things!
ghuff
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Sep 22 2009, 11:40 AM) *

Hondabond or hondabond HT? I hear this HT stuff is thicker, like a gasket maker vs. a regular RTV viscosity/thickness. I looked up the temp spec and it's like 600 degrees. Doh says it on the tube!

I know guys using it on oil drain gaskets of turbo cars that see well over 500 there, and it still does not fail FWIW.

Stuff seems to be great and useful all over.

I plan on using it to seal my trans cases back together on my VW's and the 914.
Sleepin
I have used the HT for my oil return tube gasket on the T3/T4 turbo on the old Civic. I have used the regular HondaBond on the oil pan gasket corners and the valve cover corners on the DOHC cam covers.

Never had it fail or leak on me. I wonder why I have never used it on the Type IV.....
ghuff
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Sep 22 2009, 11:56 AM) *

I have used the HT for my oil return tube gasket on the T3/T4 turbo on the old Civic. I have used the regular HondaBond on the oil pan gasket corners and the valve cover corners on the DOHC cam covers.

Never had it fail or leak on me. I wonder why I have never used it on the Type IV.....

Try it. I am going to be using it where applicable all over the Type IV.

To be honest, in a weird way I feel like this stuff has been missing from my toolbox for years and I am being reunited with a soul mate or lost love. It made me smile working with this stuff last night and seeing the potential.

I have been let down by about every other sealent due to cost, compression squeeze out and etc.
SLITS
Does it come with neon lights, ground effects fibreglass and a 5 lb fart can exhaust?
Sleepin
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 22 2009, 01:59 PM) *

Does it come with neon lights, ground effects fibreglass and a 5 lb fart can exhaust?

and a fake carbon fiber cap! biggrin.gif
degreeoff
its what is sealing my cam towers....(oops I am using Yamabond...same shit!)
ghuff
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 22 2009, 11:59 AM) *

Does it come with hot young asian girls of low moral integrity & lesser values?

I fixed that for you. You need to look at the silver lining there my friend. beerchug.gif
SLITS
Used it to seal my cam towers too! No yamabond .... just hondabond

Of course us old farts are used to Gasgacinch ... elephantsnotbond
zymurgist
QUOTE(ghuff @ Sep 22 2009, 04:07 PM) *

I fixed that for you. You need to look at the silver lining there my friend. beerchug.gif

So I should leave the Porsche at home and go cruising in the Integra? biggrin.gif
ghuff
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Sep 22 2009, 12:16 PM) *

QUOTE(ghuff @ Sep 22 2009, 04:07 PM) *

So I should leave the Porsche at home and go cruising in the Integra? biggrin.gif

If you had a Type-S with a Borg Warner S366 you could get the asian girl of your choice at the local shows.

zymurgist
Who needs a Type-S when you own a classic Corvette?
Sleepin
Classic Corvettes usually don't draw out the underage asian chicks!
ghuff
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Sep 22 2009, 12:55 PM) *

This.

Sorry dude, I like old corvettes, but you could maybe pull in some 80's metal chicks with that.

The ratio of hot 80's metal chicks to worn out 80's metal chicks is in favor of worn.

RSX needs more turbo, and more i-vtecs.
zymurgist
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Sep 22 2009, 04:55 PM) *

Ummm, why would I be interested in "15 will get you 20"? Sorry guys, don't get it. Besides, I own a Vette and a 911 not because of whom I can impress with them. After all, if I wanted to impress, I'd buy a C6 convertible, not some 30 year old relic with 30 year old paint. I bought my classics because I enjoy driving them.

...and to get back on topic, I will definitely keep Hondabond in mind. I think it might be useful if I can figure out where the RSX taillights are allowing water to get in them.
zymurgist
QUOTE(ghuff @ Sep 22 2009, 05:04 PM) *

RSX needs more turbo

Only way it's going to get more turbo is if my mom decides she's not going to keep her Civic any more... that would become my daily driver and the RSX would become a toy. Even then I'd have to consider selling it and start looking for a "real /6" though.
SLITS
New discussion ... what's a real six ... a Vin number, anemic engine and shitty shift mechanism?

Asbestos flame suit on! av-943.gif
zymurgist
LOL. Ya got me there... but I guess mostly it's the VIN.
ghuff
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 22 2009, 03:49 PM) *

New discussion ... what's a real six ... a Vin number, anemic engine and shitty shift mechanism?

Asbestos flame suit on! av-943.gif

All of the above.

Add in no moving passenger side seat, and a motor that costs more than some surgeries to rebuild, while still making 300hp or so at most.

Oh wait, don't forget the 6 prestige. lol-2.gif
ghuff
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Sep 22 2009, 01:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Sep 22 2009, 04:55 PM) *

Ummm, why would I be interested in "15 will get you 20"? Sorry guys, don't get it. Besides, I own a Vette and a 911 not because of whom I can impress with them. After all, if I wanted to impress, I'd buy a C6 convertible, not some 30 year old relic with 30 year old paint. I bought my classics because I enjoy driving them.

...and to get back on topic, I will definitely keep Hondabond in mind. I think it might be useful if I can figure out where the RSX taillights are allowing water to get in them.

It is a joke. But really, the young azn import tuner girls are only impressed by japanese cars that make 200ftlbs of torque and 550whp with final drive ratios approaching 5.x
zymurgist
QUOTE(ghuff @ Sep 22 2009, 09:19 PM) *

I'm thinking resale value here. Although as the owner of a no-sunroof long hood 911, I may already be sitting pretty.
zymurgist
QUOTE(ghuff @ Sep 22 2009, 09:20 PM) *

It is a joke. But really, the young azn import tuner girls are only impressed by japanese cars that make 200ftlbs of torque and 550whp with final drive ratios approaching 5.x

I guess a Z06 would make them crap their panties, then! driving.gif
ghuff
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Sep 22 2009, 05:58 PM) *

QUOTE(ghuff @ Sep 22 2009, 09:19 PM) *

I'm thinking resale value here. Although as the owner of a no-sunroof long hood 911, I may already be sitting pretty.

To me a 914/6 is like having a 16v scirocco instead of an 8v.

Same chassis, at this point in time you can make it better.

I did not buy my 914 to make money. I never buy cars to make money. I buy them to sink money into, and break the money I sink into it racing and acting like a child.

driving.gif

I hope that resale value is sky high, because 914/6 parts prices for the motor, exhaust and other bits are retardedly expensive for no other reason than being labelled "Porsche" and the fact that most 6 cylinder Porsche owners are fairly well off.

Sort of a historical market thing i would say.

Really though 914's in general will be going up, because good luck finding clean ones now that they are 30-35 years old. Same thing with 911's of the vintage/era.

Especially since the price of scrap metal was insanely high the last few years, I guarantee a lot of salvage/save worthy 914's were smooshed and turned into hummer parts or pepsi cans.
scotty b
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Sep 22 2009, 11:40 AM) *

blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

sheeplove.gif sheeplove.gif

blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(ghuff @ Sep 22 2009, 10:05 PM) *

I did not buy my 914 to make money. I never buy cars to make money. I buy them to sink money into, and break the money I sink into it racing and acting like a child.

Whatever works for you. I think sitting on a desirable model, while being able to enjoy it while it appreciates, is like having one's cake and eating it too.
DBCooper
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 22 2009, 01:13 PM) *

Of course us old farts are used to Gasgacinch ... elephantsnotbond

Yeah for Gasgacinch! Nothing else would keep those old Beezers and Trumpets dry. And it's been scientifically proven that using that Japanese plastic glue on old Brit bikes will suddenly make your lights go out! And tell the truth, who could beat that sweetheart on the Gasgacinch label?

IPB Image

ghuff
Why does it look like she farted so hard she fell and is surprised about it?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 22 2009, 07:49 PM) *

The VIN, of course - the other attributes are just parts, and changeable at will.
DBCooper
QUOTE(ghuff @ Sep 23 2009, 03:46 PM) *

Interesting perspective. For the last forty years or so I've been thinking those were just clouds. Proof that what you see really does depend on where you're standing when you see it. rolleyes.gif
HarveyH
Back in the 70's a friend of mine knew a guy who put a Brit bike together using Hylomar sealant
Hylomar
and supposedly it didn't leak.

Didn't see it myself, but I been told...

Harvey
turboman808
In my experience girls could care less about cars. They sure don't give a shit about classic cars.

However beating up some guy at a bar seems to turn girls on. confused24.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Sep 24 2009, 03:52 PM) *

In my experience girls could care less about cars. They sure don't give a shit about classic cars.

However beating up some guy at a bar seems to turn girls on. confused24.gif

Yeah, just the kind of girl you want to meet anyway. WTF.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Sep 24 2009, 05:35 PM) *

However beating up some guy at a bar seems to turn girls on.

Yeah, just the kind of girl you want to meet anyway.

I don't think I'd care to hang out with a girl who likes to beat up guys...
tod914
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Sep 24 2009, 06:31 PM) *

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Sep 24 2009, 05:35 PM) *

However beating up some guy at a bar seems to turn girls on.

Yeah, just the kind of girl you want to meet anyway.

I don't think I'd care to hang out with a girl who likes to beat up guys...

Some women charge extra for that chair.gif
ghuff
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Sep 24 2009, 03:44 AM) *

QUOTE(ghuff @ Sep 23 2009, 03:46 PM) *

Interesting perspective. For the last forty years or so I've been thinking those were just clouds. Proof that what you see really does depend on where you're standing when you see it. rolleyes.gif

I don't know about you, but I generally avoid products in which sex is used to sell them.

The chemicals I buy are non-descriptive with a name, some information and that is that.

Especially so when it comes to automotive parts, chemicals and other things. That is the vintage equivalent of a honda ad with some half naked asian girl on it staring at you suggestively.

Where are you standing again and what did you speak of seeing? I thought this thread was about chemicals, some humor and exploring the uses of those chemicals. I came with data and uses. confused24.gif

I see some bottle with an upskirt going on. If you want to talk about perspective, take a look in the mirror. Do you have any hot snap on pin up calenders in your shop too?

biggrin.gif

So any comments on how the upskirt flapper girl gasket sealer is used and how thick and spreadable it is? How it holds up to compression?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.