Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering wheel can't remove HELP!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thompson-mfr
PLEASE HELP

I am trying to remove my Steering wheel. It is an aftermarket one.

I have an impact wrench and can get the nut off with no problem.

I have removed the same steering wheel before, but now it won't pull off.

I have pulled as hard as I can to no avail! If I pull any harder I may break the steering wheel.

Any additional suggestions would be helpful.
SLITS
Dynamite?

C4?

A steering wheel puller?

Keep wiggling it back and forth .. it should come off unless you somehow jammed the splines when you gunned it on with the impact wrench.
McMark
Put the nut back on until the top of the nut is level with the top of the threaded shaft.
Pull on the steering wheel while lightly tapping the nut/shaft. You may need to use your knees/legs to apply pulling pressure.

It seems counter intuitive, but it'll work.
thompson-mfr
tried this tapping/hammering a while ago with no success. smash.gif headbang.gif

it moves a little bit out (1/4 inch) then just stops can't get it past this point.
Sleepin
Might have to use a puller then...and hope you didn't somehow screw up the splines.
SLITS
See, you pissed off Ferry by purchasing a non-Porsche part.

You might try a 3 finger puller if there is anything to hook onto. Harbor Freight ... 1 time use tool

Other than that .... I gots nuthin'
tradisrad
was the wheel put on with the impact wrench? did the nut damage the splines? can you file them (splines) so the wheel slips off?
thompson-mfr
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Sep 22 2009, 02:22 PM) *

was the wheel put on with the impact wrench? did the nut damage the splines? can you file them (splines) so the wheel slips off?

Yes I tightened the nut with an impact wrench.

Don't know how that could damage the treads????

Wheel only moves 1/4 inch out then stops.
thompson-mfr
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Someone mentioned a steering wheel puller (which I already have) but couldn't think of how to use it.

Just thought of welding up a bracket to use with the steering wheel puller. welder.gif

The site is always good for jogging the memory.

If that doesn't work then C4 will be next! ar15.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
Drums66
[quote name='thompson-mfr' date='Sep 22 2009, 03:01 PM' post='1217392']
[quote name='tradisrad' post='1217379' date='Sep 22 2009, 02:22 PM']
was the wheel put on with the impact wrench?
Yes I tightened the nut with an impact wrench.

[/quote]

That was a mistake.........Hide the impact wrench from yourself!!
now you just have to play around with it.....punished idea.gif headbang.gif
thompson-mfr
Why is it SO bad to use a impact wrench to put the steering wheel nut back on? idea.gif
jt914-6
QUOTE(thompson-mfr @ Sep 22 2009, 06:36 PM) *

Why is it SO bad to use a impact wrench to put the steering wheel nut back on? idea.gif

Because of the current problem you have now.....I'm sure the torque specs aren't 100 ft. lbs...... shades.gif
ClayPerrine
I wonder if Ron wishes he had this problem..... lol-2.gif
ghuff
QUOTE(thompson-mfr @ Sep 22 2009, 03:36 PM) *

Because you exceeded the torque spec by a ton.

Spray some wd40 or penetrant down and tap back down with a hammer then work it back up.
thompson-mfr
I made sure it would come off!!!! lol-2.gif headbang.gif

I guess I figured it was taken off with a impact wrench, so I should put it back on with one. Who can argue with that dumb logic.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice!!

I will try som PB Blast and a hammer first before I make the adapter for my steering wheel puller.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.