Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oh boy...greenlight to buy new rims/tires :)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif

Gotta do the dance first smile.gif

Just got the green light from the wife to purchase new rims and tires for the 914, now the tough decision will be 15, 16 or 17 inch rims and tires....I'm leaning towards the 15's since more tire choices are available and after my last little fender bender with the 17" rims on the C2, I obviously cannot tell when my tires are low on air sad.gif

Decisions, decisions smile.gif
Jenny
Are you sure she doesn't already have them wrapped and ready for your birthday?? confused24.gif

Jen
jonwatts
What widths are you considering?

Will these wheels have a custom bolt pattern?
SirAndy
thats right, muellers b-day is coming up!
where's the party?
beerchug.gif driving.gif
seanery
I'd go for 16's. Definitely a lot of rubber choices out there.

I just had to get new rear tires for the 944 turbo, one of the expensive-assed Michelin MXX3's couldn't hold air for some reason, but they have a bitchin' stiff sidewall that let me limp to the gas station every morning til the new tires came in.

I cheaped out TireRack was selling 255/40/17 Pirelli P6000 for $87. I couldnt pass it up since I'm probably gonna sell her this summer.

By the way I think 16's are definitely the way to go for a teener!
airsix
15's? Who are you and what did you do with my friend Mike? My friend Mike built a CAD/CAM machine in his garage. My friend Mike built his own fuel-injection system from little bitty parts in plastic bags. My friend Mike designed and built roller-bearing suspension bushing kits for real men with real race cars. My friend Mike wouldn't put a 15" wheel on a stinking lawn tractor let alone a 914! confused24.gif

16's or 17's ...Dood. Friends don't let friends "upgrade" to 15 inch wheels.

-Ben M.
Mueller
I should add....no flares or external fender modifications this time...

I might not have learned much from my past adventures but the first Frankenfendered car was enough smash.gif
Bleyseng
Yeah, how about some nice 16" Fuchs that actually look really cool in a stock 914.
Geoff
L8Apex
like these? biggrin.gif

IPB Image
Porsche Rescue
Or these...7 x16 with 205/45's.
Bleyseng
That's the ones!!!
Geoff mueba.gif
Jeffs9146
Mike........Definitely the 16's have the class without being an over kill!! 205 55 16 is what I have on 6x16's! I would like to have 7's in the back tho and maybe a 225 or so!! PS: my fenders are stock! If I rolled them I could fit 225's on the back.

Jeff
campbellcj
I'm also going with the 16x7 black-centered Fuchs; 205/45 Hoosiers. Or maybe 215/40's if they will fit the fenders with some coaxing.
914Timo
I am going to chance the old 15" wheels and 205/50/15 tires to 7x16 wheels and 205/55/16 tires. The gear ration was way too short for 3,0L six with 15" wheels and low tires combo.

Mike, I hope you will do something extraordinary (again happy11.gif ). How about some custom bolt pattern, 4x100 for example ?? Then you can find a lot of 7x16 wheels with 35 ET.
L8Apex
damn, those 16x7's all around look good. someone sell me a pair of 16x7's! Question: can you really fit 225/45/16's in the rear with some fender rolling? That would just be awsome. I would like to do 225 rears and 205 fronts. Probably kumho victoracers or Hoosier R3S03's.
SirAndy
QUOTE(L8Apex @ Apr 2 2003, 07:16 PM)
like these?

yepp, L8Apex's look great. get those in 16 ...
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 2 2003, 06:34 PM)
...I'm leaning towards the 15's

Mike,

Mike,

I would not discount the 15's!

Here is a pic of my car with 7X8X15's with Hoosier 205/50's & 225/45's

This wheel/tire combo is smaller and lighter. Less unsprung weight. Lower center of gravity. Shorter gearing for autocross (my goal). They're also much less expensive, if that matters. biggrin.gif

My car has 911 SC flares (plus they're rolled) and the 225's BARELY fit. Hoosiers are wider than other tires. My street set are Dunlop Sport 9000's 7X8X15's with 205/55 & 215/50's.

You would need 205's all around to meet your goal of retaining your stock fenders. I was lucky enough to be able to go to a racer friend and try different combinations from his trailer to insure fit.

Here's my car.
Mueller
joseph...wow, that car looks very aggresive with that combo.

From that angle, I can hardly tell that the rear fenders are flared, making it look even better.

I too think the 15's are a more practical choice due to weight and tire prices/choices.

I really like these Enkies, but at 220 a piece, that'll add up to more than my car cost once tires are added to them. They only come in 17x7 or larger, but only weigh 17 pounds.

IPB Image

More than likely, these will get the a-okay, 15x7 and only 12 pounds, made in Germany by ATS (same rim manufacture for 996TT hollow spoke rims plus other P-Car rims)...99 bucks smile.gif

IPB Image
Bleyseng
Rice!

Geoff aktion035.gif
Dman
Joseph great looking car!

Did you get those rear flares off a 911? Or did you smash.gif them yourself? That's the look I am going for.
Mueller
Bleyseng wrote: Rice!

Yea, well, to me the Fuchs are boring....
everyone has 'em.....I'm not a sheep following the rest of the heard smile.gif
TravisNeff
I know you have checked out panasports in the past, but you were looking at 15x7's why not their 16x7?? run around 200-220 each, if offset is right no fender rolling!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 3 2003, 09:12 AM)

ic, well, then go 4lug and get some nice VW rims ...
there is tons of stuff out there, even the new centerlines
are not bad. what about the old-style steel VW rims with a deep offset? i had them (rewelded) in 8x15 and 9x15 on my bug.
looked awesome ...
Bleyseng
Well Mike, I have seen a 914 with those 16" maybe they were 17" rims and lopro tires and its just looks "Rice".
Try out some those newer 911 turbo rims then or have you already? They look cool and modern without looking "Rice".

Geoff
kdfoust
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 3 2003, 09:12 AM)
Bleyseng wrote: Rice!

Yeah, I agree, can't swing a cat without hit'n a Porsche with Fuchs. I'd try those ATS in a heartbeat. Rice, hmph. I say "what's hap'nin now." cool_shades.gif

Have fun,
Kevin
mightyohm
L8Apex - That is one bitchen looking 914.
I have the 15" Fuchs in that style on my 4, but I wouldn't mind 16's. For now I think I'll settle, 15's are better than no Fuchs at all!
Joseph Mills
Mike,

I couldn't put those ATS wheels on my car. All you'd see through those thin spokes would be all the grease, grime & dirt on my car. laugh.gif

You might photograph your car from about the same angle as those wheels and then photo shop them in to actually see how they would look. It's your car - if you likem', slap em on!

Yeah, Fuchs are kinda boring in that common sense, but I have always loved their appearance....especially with the spoke paddles polished out. At the AX, the ricers all stare and they're lookin' straight at those Fuchs. I think they have some hypnotic effect rolling at 5mph. wacko.gif

Hey D-Man, those are 1970 911 fender wells that are cut and welded into place. They are subtle enough that only other 914 owners notice it. But they're still quite roomy. I have a set of 8X16's with Yoko 245/45's that squeeze in. When I hit a severe dip, they chirp. I don't run them anymore because the 15's give me way better performance for AX.

Good luck with your wheel quest.
Bleyseng
I thought they were frowned on in PCA AX's, to have a non-orginal shape to the wheelwells. They look really nice to me.
Those ricer rims are a dime a dozen and that's why the rice guys look at the Fuchs! They are soo classy looking compared to the others.
Mike, put on whatever you think looks good. I was just commenting because I have seen 'em on a few cars.
Geoff
L8Apex
jkeyzer - thanks!

Actually, after I put it into the wall, it doesn't look so good anymore. But it's almost fixed. smash.gif I'm ready to paint it too. Probably removing the "porsche" sticker on the side to make it look clean. Hmm, I should upload a pic of it with the phone dials on it. I don't really like the phone dials, but they were cheap, and would probably make good track wheels. I may turn around and sell them to get some 15" fuchs or a pair of 16x7's.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 3 2003, 10:43 PM)
I thought they were frowned on in PCA AX's, to have a non-orginal shape to the wheelwells. They look really nice to me.
Those ricer rims are a dime a dozen and that's why the rice guys look at the Fuchs! They are soo classy looking compared to the others.
Mike, put on whatever you think looks good. I was just commenting because I have seen 'em on a few cars.
Geoff

Geoff,
I liked the fender treatment the first time I saw it when the PO raised the garage door (plus behind the fender was the stack of 16" Fuchs with slicks mounted tongue.gif ).

I've heard that about altered fender wells. I'm running in my local SCCA AX (CSP) and they don't sweat the small stuff like that. But it's fierce competition. I'm workin' it real hard.

About everyother PCA AX I run just for fun (on street tires - gotta save the Hoosiers for scca). They only designate two classes: street tires and other. These guys are really laid back. They just want to have fun!

And these PCA events are held on a sheriffs pursuit driving range - loops and loops of 2-lane blacktop. No friggin' parking lot here. We're talking about a way narrowere course than a typical race track. First time I attended, on the first practice run of the day , I watched a guy total his 963. I see FOURTH gear all the time. If I'm doing 70mph plus, what the hell are the big porsches doing? Of course, what's really fun is anytime you beat a 911 on what is obviously a HP course. laugh.gif
It's a great venue and I feel real lucky to be a part of it.

Oops.....kinda strayed off.....

L8Apex, sorry to hear about your teener.
seanery
What's a 963?
mikerose
well Mike, I guess i need to make a trip over to your house I pick up my rims. That is if you have not sold them LOL tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

Mike
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(seanery @ Apr 4 2003, 06:52 AM)
What's a 963?

Oops - Sorry. Meant to type 968.

He was the very first car out on the course. There were to be 4 practice runs followed by 4 timed runs. He over cooked a left turn at the end of a straight, going off outside and then skidding back across to the inside of the track slamming an 8' embankment. It's about the only place out there you can get in real trouble. No one was hurt but his airbags went off and his face was all bloody. He couldn't remember anything that happened.

All he did was mis-judge a turn - something any of us could be guilty of. But what no one could figure out was why would he drive like that on a practice run - his FIRST practice run? It was very unfortunate. Kinda sad. Spooked a lot of drivers - about half went home.

We turned off the timing light and did fun runs all day. laugh.gif driving.gif
boxstr
Another set of wheels on a 914 that I have been looking at. They are Borbet 16's on 911 suspension. 1" spacers behind. This car needs longer studs, I looked behind the center caps, scary the amount of threads that were holding them on. "Thanks I don't need to road test it."
Personally I would like to get the car w/o the Borbet wheels but seller says no. I would like the widened Fuchs 16's.
CCLinLOO
boxstr
Rear..
Bleyseng
Now those are different, kinda nice.
Geoff
anthony
You can't just buy the car and then sell the Borbets?
boxstr
Yes I can do that but the seller paid $1000 for the wheels and tires and I don't want them but he won't take them off and drop the price. SO.
CLinLOO
jonwatts
Paint 'em black? confused24.gif
L8Apex
beerchug.gif clap56.gif LoL! I like that avatar! hahaha
boxstr
I also thought about doing that , but if I removed them,after painting, to sell I would probably hear, "if you had just left the centers plain and not painted them black" So I guess I buy the thing and sell them on ebay and have a set made up at Lindsey racing. Okay thanks problem solved.
CCLinLOO
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(boxstr @ Apr 4 2003, 09:53 PM)
I also thought about doing that , but if I removed them,after painting, to sell I would probably hear, "if you had just left the centers plain and not painted them black" So I guess I buy the thing and sell them on ebay and have a set made up at Lindsey racing. Okay thanks problem solved.
CCLinLOO

Hey Craig,
Tell Mike Lindsay I sent you and he'll give you
an extra discount. beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.