Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carb jetting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
At what altitude points is it necessary to rejet carbs? Will a car coming from the SF Bay Area need to be rejetted in Reno (4500ft)?
Madswede
Anyone go as far as to rejet their carbs for Atomic Ramble 07? If not, and you went on the drive up the Sandias, you made it to 10,400 ft without it (the crest is 10,700 or so, we were just below it).

As I recall, there was quite a bit of coughing and sputtering (until I finally passed Lauren Luckie and SLITS), but people made it up there!

- Nelson
SLITS
I had to quit smoking @ 9.5 to keep from sputtering and backfiring.
Sleepin
You will (read: should) be able to run the car in Reno. However, if the car is staying there for good, you should probably need to rejet it. It will run a little rich and performance will drop a bit, but you should be ok.
Gint
When coming from sea level I've always noticed the difference at around 4000 feet. So ideally you'd want to rejet, but as already stated if your only there for 3 days there really isn't much point. Often enough I take mine from 5000 feet to over 10. I notice the difference, but it's always temporary since I head back home in a day or two.
Rand
Thanks gang. She would live in Reno, so sounds like I should pick up some optimum jets for 4500ft, keep the others on hand for long visits to the coast, and just live with it for the short visits to the higher altitudes.
beerchug.gif
Elliot Cannon
For what it's worth (probly not much) my car ran really rich at sea level. I used to get about 18 miles per gallon with my 2.2 type four with weber carbs. I took it up to Sandia Peak 10,400 feet and the plugs would load up till I kept the revs up and it ran kinda rough but it ran ok enough to get up there and back. I re-jetted since then and I get 25mpg at sea level now, so I think it will be fine in Tahoe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.