Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift linkage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914fun
I have a 71 with the side shift trans. I bought a new fire wall bushing and a used rod that goes through it. I can put a .016 mm feeler gauge between them. I took this measurement in different places to make sure it is not the bar that’s worn. Is that the correct amount of play. That’s not a lot but I was thinking there should be none but it should just slide smoothly. Or did I get a badly made part from Pelican Parts? I did order the bushing made for the conversion.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(914fun @ Sep 22 2009, 08:29 PM) *

I have a 71 with the side shift trans. I bought a new fire wall bushing and a used rod that goes through it. I can put a .016 mm feeler gauge between them. I took this measurement in different places to make sure it is not the bar that’s worn. Is that the correct amount of play. That’s not a lot but I was thinking there should be none but it should just slide smoothly. Or did I get a badly made part from Pelican Parts? I did order the bushing made for the conversion.

You need a little play or it will stick. Remember it is a inch thick bar that has to move left, right, up and down. .016 is not much when you consider that several of us have driven around with bushings so crumbled they may as well have not even been there.

You should see great improvement with the new bushing. Especially if you co and replace all the other ones too (and the cone screws.)

Zach
914fun
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 22 2009, 08:41 PM) *

QUOTE(914fun @ Sep 22 2009, 08:29 PM) *

You need a little play or it will stick. Remember it is a inch thick bar that has to move left, right, up and down. .016 is not much when you consider that several of us have driven around with bushings so crumbled they may as well have not even been there.

You should see great improvement with the new bushing. Especially if you co and replace all the other ones too (and the cone screws.)

Zach

Ok, Thanks. I just didnt want to put it in and find out it was too much play. I have all the other bushing too so I will dive into it this week end. Thanks again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.