Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help - Tranny/Clutch Issues?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
Out driving my car tonight and as I am driving I notice that the transmission is getting harder and harder to get into every gear - particularly 1st and 2nd. When I come to a stop I had to force the shifter into 1st with plenty of grinding. Lately after I had driven for a while getting into 1st was a bit more difficult than normal - but tonight it was way beyond that. I had been meaning to change the tranny oil to Swepco - hopefully that is all I need. Do you think it is the tranny or the clutch? After I got it into first the clutch operated normally.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!
SLITS
You just might want to check your clutch cable for stretching and getting ready to fray and break.

Is the takeup point (point where the clutch begins engaging) changing (getting closer to the floor than it was)?

That would be my first investigation.

After that, you might want to check the oil level in the tranny if it leaks.

Anything after that ... well, it's gonna be money as in new clutch.

And ... I think SWEPCO is a total waste of money, but then I'm an old fart.
srb7f
I second that...Sounds like the clutch cable is out of adjustment. Start with the cable, and so long as it isn't ready to let loose, give the nut at the throw-out arm a few turns and re-check the adjustment in the pedal board to see where that gets you.
vesnyder
The clutch feels the same as it always has - same release point. But I will take a look. The cable is new.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(vesnyder @ Sep 22 2009, 11:03 PM) *

The clutch feels the same as it always has - same release point. But I will take a look. The cable is new.

Your clutch tube may also have come loose inside the tunnel.
Ian Stott
Same thing was happening to me when I first changed my clutch. The problem was solved when I put an extra nut on the adjusting end so it couldn't back off, haven't had an issue since, always check the simple things first!!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.