Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What winch are you using in your trailer?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
kyhunting
What winch are you using in your trailer? I'm going to be buying one so I would like some suggestions.

Thanks

David
brant
none for the last 15 years
URY914
Mine's electric.
J P Stein
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 23 2009, 11:15 AM) *

Mine's electric.

Mine too. It's a Warn.
URY914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 23 2009, 01:32 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 23 2009, 11:15 AM) *

Mine's electric.

Mine too. It's a Warn.

Mine's warn too but it still works... biggrin.gif
Heeltoe914

Warn comes in handy. 33 ft cable lawn 12V connection

rfuerst911sc
I just purchased a 12v Harbor Freight 3000 lb. winch with wireless remote. Comes with 35 feet of cable and seems to be decent quality. I got it on sale for $59.99. I haven't installed it yet so no real world feedback.
Randal
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Sep 23 2009, 05:00 PM) *

I just purchased a 12v Harbor Freight 3000 lb. winch with wireless remote. Comes with 35 feet of cable and seems to be decent quality. I got it on sale for $59.99. I haven't installed it yet so no real world feedback.

The HF wench works good. Have one on my race trailer with the docking bracket welded to the trailer..

Of course I don't use it every day, but it's worked so far.

I even think it is guaranteed.
puff adder
One time my girlfriend and I were looking to buy a 4x4 truck. Looking at the want ads, she said "look honey, this truck has a wench".

I said "it's called a Winch, a Wench you have to yell Get Out and Push!!"
Randal
QUOTE(puff adder @ Sep 24 2009, 02:10 PM) *

One time my girlfriend and I were looking to buy a 4x4 truck. Looking at the want ads, she said "look honey, this truck has a wench".

I said "it's called a Winch, a Wench you have to yell Get Out and Push!!"

Well you know where my mind is....
puff adder
I'll be heading to Harbor Freight tomorrow to pick up one of these winches for my trailer. I am SO looking forward to using the winch on my own trailer instead of rental trailers and cheesy come-alongs.
grantsfo
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 23 2009, 10:38 AM) *

Me too. Long ramps go miles in allowing to on to push the car onto trailer if required. Winching car up is a real hassel.
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 27 2009, 05:05 PM) *

Me too. Long ramps go miles in allowing to on to push the car onto trailer if required. Winching car up is a real hassel.

I purchased the winch so I can put the car on the trailer by myself if it's not running. If the car is running I agree just drive it up. I'm not the kind of guy that relies on others to help me push a car onto the trailer. To each his own. beerchug.gif
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 27 2009, 06:05 PM) *

Really?
J P Stein
I've also used the winch to pull my dead car up into the shop up hill, all the way, bout 130 feet. A good winch comes in handy.
puff adder
I went to Harbor Freight Yesterday and bought a winch, $75 and looks perfect for what I need.

I WAS going to buy this nice enclosed trailer, but that fell through leaving me too much time to think about how much I was spending, so I went and bought a nice cheap flatbed trailer yesterday.

I CAN drive my car onto the trailer, but it's So Low, and the multi-disc clutch is difficult to be smooth with.

The electric winch allows me to load the car without any help from anyone.
puff adder
I used my Harbor Freight winch for the first time yesterday.

The winch worked fine, had decent power and pulled the car up the ramps just fine, BUT,,,,

When I went to unload the car, the controller stopped working in one direction. I had to reverse the polarity to get the thing to lower the car off the trailer.

I'm going back today and getting it replaced.
6freak
Warn or ramsey best in the business....make it semi portable so you can put it on the truck if you need to ...WARN just came out with a new model that has a compresser on it as well ....pretty cool.....
....remember price is not always the best value
URY914
Harbor Freight stuff is crap. Only buy the name brand items from HF like Channel Locks.
sixaddict
Best comment here is price is not value......On my second walmart "wench" and the best part is the cables aren't long enough to get to battery in SUV tow goat. What a pain .....But I only paid $50 bucks..... headbang.gif

Don't have enough friends to load non running car so it is a good investment just be smart......

Harbor Frt , Northen Tool mostly sell Chinese junk (not a boat) but they do make the entry level pretty low for the occasional user who doesn't need professional quality which mostly comes from the same place......We are sheeplove.gif

QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 9 2009, 06:44 AM) *

Harbor Freight stuff is crap. Only buy the name brand items from HF like Channel Locks.
Runner
SuperWinch 4000. Powers in and out. 30-foot remote. Made in US
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Jan 23 2010, 03:26 AM) *

Best comment here is price is not value......On my second walmart "wench" and the best part is the cables aren't long enough to get to battery in SUV tow goat. What a pain .....But I only paid $50 bucks..... headbang.gif

I made a pigtail for my HF winch and just plug into the plug for the trailer lights & brakes. Works great and no need to run jumper cables to truck battery. Just need to remember to plug in the trailer lights before I drive off. slap.gif
ME733
.........something to consider is How you rig up Your cable pull. A single cable, meaning from the wench directly to the car will put the maximun load on the electric motor and fuse system. I think the best way is to have a (double pull, I think it,s called) utilizing two pulleys, and requires twice the length of cable, as a stright pull uses. This setup will allow the use of a smaller, less expensive wench, and has less load on the motor, wiring system, and fuse setup. IT just makes the setup more reliable.An additional advantage is that the car moves at 1/2 the speed of a direct pull setup, this allowes you time to position the wheels exactly as the car goes up the ramps, and provides a little more control as you hit the wheel stops....MM.
J P Stein
I cut the wire end terminals off my winch and attached jumper cable clamps (good ones) to those wires.
An extra battery set on the tail gate.....you're in biddness.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.