Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it my Clutch?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
I think my clutch is bad, but want to make sure before I tear it apart and realize I just needed tranny fluid? Recently after my car was warmed up it woudl grind getting teh car into first gear. On a trip last night shifting became very difficult - particularly into 1st gear and reverse. Once the car got going I was fine. I went to move it this morning and could not get it into first or reverse at all with the motor running. With the motor off shifting was no problem. Does it sound like a clutch?
Joe Ricard
Adjustment is whacked. Easy fix.

or clutch tube is broke not as easy fix.

Clutches are bad when they slip, chatter or completely explode.
Drums66
Go for that easy fix first......could just be slack in the cable??
if not ?...then you have the other options! idea.gif popcorn[1].gif

Later...
TravisNeff
As others said try adjusting your clutch cable, but you may also want to adjust you shifter to shift rod adjustment.
turboturtle
When mine started doing that, I went to adjust and found just a few strands of cable still holding on. Needless to say it didn't hold up much longer and I had to drive the rest of the way home without a clutch at all. But hey, who needs one unless your using the starter to pull you up a hill to get going!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Sep 23 2009, 11:26 AM) *

or clutch tube is broke not as easy fix.

agree.gif

Check the clutch tube ...
shades.gif Andy
vesnyder
Just went out and adjusted the cable and I am good to go. Don't you just love it when you can fix 'em for no charge - particularly when you are unemployed!

Thanks for your help!
SirAndy
QUOTE(vesnyder @ Sep 23 2009, 02:34 PM) *

Just went out and adjusted the cable and I am good to go. Don't you just love it when you can fix 'em for no charge - particularly when you are unemployed!

Not to be negative or anything, but your clutch doesn't just get out of adjustment that much overnight.

If you find yourself adjusting it again in a couple of days, do yourself a favor and check the clutch tube ...
shades.gif Andy
Drums66
QUOTE(turboturtle @ Sep 23 2009, 01:01 PM) *

When mine started doing that, I went to adjust and found just a few strands of cable still holding on. Needless to say it didn't hold up much longer

I've had it happen like this a few times!!
keep an eye on the cable for awhile idea.gif
Dr Evil
agree.gif with Andy. Also, your clutch should disengage in the first 1/4 to 1/3 of pedal travel. NOT at the lower end of pedal travel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.