Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: INTAKE SPACERS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JOE M
Anybody know where I can get the spacers that go between the intakes and the heads. Or better yet do I even need them on my ICT34`S? The original spacers are cracked. I was going to glue them back together but I am not sure if that would be o.k.
Gint
Any of the usual vendors shoud have them . Or you could look at this classified ad:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=84420
rhcb914
I don't run them with my carbed 1911. I just bolted the intakes to the heads with the paper gasket. I found there are fewer places to create intake leaks and the manifolds heat up quicker...a good thing when running in the late fall.
JOE M
QUOTE(rhcb914 @ Sep 24 2009, 07:13 AM) *

I don't run them with my carbed 1911. I just bolted the intakes to the heads with the paper gasket. I found there are fewer places to create intake leaks and the manifolds heat up quicker...a good thing when running in the late fall.

So what are the benifits to using them and also what are the downfalls to not using them?
r_towle
Without them you will boil the fuel in the carb bowl when you stop...
It was a common issue in the older 356 cars.
the concours guys still stick with the no-spacer setup but they have a hell of a time starting at the car shows....lol

You want a thermal break between the manifold and the head...
You should be able to touch the carbs when the car is hot..

Glue will be ok if that is your only choice...use contact cement, not RTV.
Clean them with alchohol first.

At the end of the day, its formica ...just very thick.
Its called "phenolic" material.

You could always order up a small sheet from McMaster Carr or MSC the correct thickness and make a set...they are simple to drill with hand tools.
Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 24 2009, 09:25 AM) *

Without them you will boil the fuel in the carb bowl when you stop...

agree.gif
jmill
The only benefit to not using them is less places for a vacuum leak. When your trying to start a hot engine with some heat soaked carbs you'll wish you had them.
JOE M
QUOTE(jmill @ Sep 24 2009, 03:59 PM) *

The only benefit to not using them is less places for a vacuum leak. When your trying to start a hot engine with some heat soaked carbs you'll wish you had them.

Well I think I will take the broken parts out and try to glue them. On a positive note this car has not left my driveway so starting a hot engine wont be a problem. This project is so freaking anoying.Sorry for venting but it just seems like for every step I take forward I take 3 back. Usually the saying is 2 steps back but this project is a freaking nightmare. On a positive note the electric ignition I installed works great. I cant seem to tune it but it starts real good.
lotus_65
with all due respect, maybe if you bought new parts instead of gluing old ones together maybe your project wouldn't be "so anoying". i mean, it's twenty bucks my friend:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...t_pg2.htm#item7

eliminate issues by fixing them once, correctly.
JOE M
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Sep 25 2009, 04:11 AM) *

with all due respect, maybe if you bought new parts instead of gluing old ones together maybe your project wouldn't be "so anoying". i mean, it's twenty bucks my friend:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...t_pg2.htm#item7

eliminate issues by fixing them once, correctly.

Look I have bought tons of new parts. As a matter of fact the only thing I have not bought new is my exhaust. Every other part that I have bought is new. It just seems like I get close and than find another part to buy. It never seems to end.Thanks for the link.
tat2dphreak
It just seems like I get close and than find another part to buy. It never seems to end.

such as it is... at least you realize it now.
JOE M
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Sep 25 2009, 06:43 AM) *

It just seems like I get close and than find another part to buy. It never seems to end.

such as it is... at least you realize it now.

It`s become a way of life now. This piece of crap car has got me by it`s clutches and twisted my way of thinking. I keep saying "oh it`s only $25 more". The bad thing is a bunch of $25 add`s up quick. I think I will do what Rich told me a long time ago. Get it in the damn thing and drive it.It`s sitting in my driveway and it runs pretty good but I am stubborn and want it to run perfect. I need to take 2 steps back and remind myself that it is a driveable project car. It`s like when I bought my first house--I had projects and big plans but I got discouraged because I did not draw a line. I had an 1890`s house and wanted more than it could ever be. It drained me and I sold it. I dont want to get so discouraged that I end up getting rid of this. I think I am going to take a different approach and pace myself better. Sometimes it only takes a something small like a stupid broken spacer to make me realize what I have been doing wrong.
Geezer914
After 30 plus years these cars need a lot of tlc. Look at the British Porsche post. There is a guy welding a pile of rust back together so he can drive a 914 in Britain.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.