Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My belts slipping
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rod
My Alt belt is squeaking sad.gif If I spray WD40 on it, it stops. for a while.... Then comes back. I have never dropped the engine before, and am worried that if the belt needs tightening I need to...

Is there a way the belt can be adjusted (or maybe, probably changed) with the engine in?

Other than this, I had a wonderful day in the garage, took all the wheels off and polished the fuchs and each wheel bolt one by one .... wow what a difference smile.gif
r_towle
piece of cake.

there are little plastic oval covers on the side and front of the alternator tin.
Remove them.
On the front, use an allen head wrench to loosen the adjuster.
Under the car, find the 13mm nut that holds the bottom of the alternator in place and loosen it.
Via the side window you can get a bar in there and lever the alternator to tighten the belt, then tighten the front allen bolt.
when you are tight, go back underneath and tighten the 13mm nut.

Put on the covers...good to go.

RIch
brant
you absolutely don't have to drop the engine
not at all

its a pretty easy job

1st... buy a new belt
2nd refer to the haynes manual

basically, there is an access cover on the tin work. you open the access and loosen the lock nut on the alternator adjustment (an allen head I believe)
then open a 2nd access cover and slide the alternator on its adjustment track to loosen the existing belt. Replace the belt and slide the opposite direction (pry). when the new belt is tight, then lock the allen head tightening nut. Turn the motor over or run it for a few minutes. Re-tension.

you may find that the pulley on the alternator is too worn.. but a new belt may 100% be the cure!

Rod
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 24 2009, 09:02 PM) *

piece of cake.

there are little plastic oval covers on the side and front of the alternator tin.
Remove them.
On the front, use an allen head wrench to loosen the adjuster.
Under the car, find the 13mm nut that holds the bottom of the alternator in place and loosen it.
Via the side window you can get a bar in there and lever the alternator to tighten the belt, then tighten the front allen bolt.
when you are tight, go back underneath and tighten the 13mm nut.

Put on the covers...good to go.

RIch

Rich and the internet to the rescue... Thankyou. beer3.gif
ericread
While you're there, it'll only take a minute to check check the bolt that holds the generator to the engine mounted bracket. The generator pivots on this bolt when you adjust the belt.

About a yer ago I was having belt problems and found the pivot bolt was hanging on a few threads.

Eric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.