Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Primer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I have an old Volvo 122 Wagon that I am going to be painting. Next Friday, I will be shooting it with primer. It currently has an amalgam of rattle can primers on it. Some of that primer is on bare metal, some of it is on the on top of the old paint where it was still good.

I want to put a sealing primer on it. This is a driver project, not concours. I need something fairly inexpensive, and easy to use.

I have a friend with a booth, guns, etc.. that will be helping me, but he's not a car painter by trade.

I plan to go to Finish Masters in Hawthorne, CA for the stuff.

Please let me know what you recommend. Any help is appreciated.

Here's a pic of the car:

IPB Image
d914
just tell them what your doing..they'll sell u what you need. Theyre a little pricey but thats where I go here..
7TPorsh
Literally a shack on the street, but he has what you'll need at super prices. Also will custom mix color

I got primer, paint, and additives for one stage Coach Black for under 100 bucks.

Sherman Williams Western Synthetic Enamel

Rays Auto Paints
5917 York Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90042-2636

(323) 255-3675‎
KaptKaos
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Sep 25 2009, 11:28 AM) *

Literally a shack on the street, but he has what you'll need at super prices. Also will custom mix color

I got primer, paint, and additives for one stage Coach Black for under 100 bucks.

Sherman Williams Western Synthetic Enamel

Rays Auto Paints
5917 York Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90042-2636

(323) 255-3675‎

Just got off the phone with Robert.

They have 3 types of primer:

Direct to metal (DTM) (Brand name & Generic) $190
Polyester $140
Lacquer $90

Not sure what primer you used, or if their prices went up.

I'm going to ring up finish masters as well and see what they have.

More to follow.....

KaptKaos
Finish Masters has their "Extreme Primer." It is a DTM primer that can be used as high build, sealer and sandable. $135 for a gallon with the additional bits (hardeners, reducers, etc...).

Anyone use these?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.