Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you keep your teener shining?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jesiv
Well I have always used Meguiar's cabana wax. Lots of work but a nice finish. However, a friend recently suggested Turtle Wax Ice product. Saw it at costco and decided to give it a try. It really seems to give a good shine but I don't know how well it protects especially over time. The easy of use of the product prompted me to investigate new products and technology that protect and produce a high gloss finish.

I am curious what products and techniques you use. Also with winter approaching do you apply anything special for protection from the harsher weather?

Regards,

James
underthetire
The oil blowing off my engine keeps the back of the car REALY shining.
tod914
Hey James, I tried a few. I'm back to the Meguiars also; their new tech wax. Goes on easy and leaves a decent shine with good protection. In the past I used PS21 Carnuba wax. Looks great while it lasts, but the longevity isn't all that good.
Found a nice combo before waxing. Clay bar it with the Mother's system. Then I use PS21 paint cleaner and the Meguiars scratch remover together on a cotton towel (buff off right away), then the wax. The Mothers clay bar system works better for me than the Meguiars. The Mequiars clay tends to leave alittle more residue.
Rod
Autoglym Super Resin Polish, then finished off with Finish Kare High temperature sealent wax. It's not too much effort and I wax the body and the wheels twice a year..

With a jetwash all the dirt just falls off - use a towel to dry it off and you have a clean car - after 5 minutes. smile.gif
DEC
I use AristoClass for my teeners, this Japanese stuff
was/is the best I ever used for my cars.

If you need only a seal for your paint
I have good expiriences with LiquidGlass.
72914S
Tried all the others but always come back to Liquid glass.
Joe Ricard
Can't wax primer..
ConeDodger
I just use that Meguire's Quick Detailer followed by Armor All on the black stuff and chrome polish on the shiny stuff... Inside, I use Lexol. Just did it last night and the car looks like new!

Jim Dupree will probably be by this morning to drive it off to work as we just finished putting his engine into the car while Jake is gathering new parts for mine... It may autocross tomorrow. Hope Jim does well! That's how we roll in Sacramento! We help each other out.
kenshapiro2002
The Turtle Wax Ice was so easy to use and doesn't eff up black parts, I simply had to try it. Used it on my DD, Suzuki SX4 (best cheap car alive), and it's been on four four months...still beading up and looking good.

QUOTE(jesiv @ Sep 25 2009, 01:15 AM) *

Well I have always used Meguiar's cabana wax. Lots of work but a nice finish. However, a friend recently suggested Turtle Wax Ice product. Saw it at costco and decided to give it a try. It really seems to give a good shine but I don't know how well it protects especially over time. The easy of use of the product prompted me to investigate new products and technology that protect and produce a high gloss finish.

I am curious what products and techniques you use. Also with winter approaching do you apply anything special for protection from the harsher weather?

Regards,

James

gopack
Is primr supposed to be shiney?

Click to view attachment

I voted never done it!

At least it looks better than before the body work!

Click to view attachment
biosurfer1
I was a detailer for years so I have a bit of advantage...luckily my paint isnt that nice so I don't worry about it too much.

FYI, I use Meguiars
JmuRiz
My car is a dull/frosted Ravenna Green. One of these days I'll take it in my garage and spend a whole week clay/polish/waxing it, just to see how much better I can make it look. Being single stage, it may work...or I may end up getting down to the primer, haha.
Rod
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Sep 25 2009, 10:54 PM) *

My car is a dull/frosted Ravenna Green. One of these days I'll take it in my garage and spend a whole week clay/polish/waxing it, just to see how much better I can make it look. Being single stage, it may work...or I may end up getting down to the primer, haha.

laugh.gif !! If anyone in the SE of England wants their teener polishing up, bring it over... I love polishing paintwork - nothing more rewarding than a couple of hours with a porter polisher and a couple of compounds smile.gif
Sleepin
I just shake the can and put another clean coat on! lol-2.gif
PanelBilly
I just wipe the dust off my baby with some of those Costco towels and look at the naked clearcoat. No wax build up for me.......
scotty b
Street urchins
IronHillRestorations
I like Zymol and Zaino's.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Rod @ Sep 25 2009, 01:12 AM) *

Autoglym Super Resin Polish, then finished off with Finish Kare High temperature sealent wax. It's not too much effort and I wax the body and the wheels twice a year..

With a jetwash all the dirt just falls off - use a towel to dry it off and you have a clean car - after 5 minutes. smile.gif

agree.gif
Cleaning clay, Autoglym Super Resin Polish, (super stuff) then a good wax. The cleaning clay also works great on the windsheald (windscreen) and window glass.
ME733
popcorn[1].gif I haven;t gotten to the point of waxing the 914 yet.!!!!! I am still polishing with rubbing compounds getting the (very, very minor orange peel areas ) looking as good as I can. It,s a good paint job though., and the original sunflower yellow. Getting down to the actual PAINT through the accumulated wax layers, dirt and grime has been a hell of a lot of work...even after the hired expert car detailers finished. no wax just hand polishing, because I didn.t want ANYONE to burn the paint with a buffer...using polishing compound. I,m close to getting wax on the car and you guys experience with waxes, and this topic is GREAT. thanks!. popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.