Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
I hope i never have to do that again. Trying to fish the new one through the tunnel is a PITA. But the speedo sure works nice now.
tod914
zonedoubt
I think I have to replace mine too. Lubricated it last week but it's back to making noise again. I was thinking tie a string to one end of the old cable and use the string to pull the new one back through. I think it will work, it did for my accel cable.
underthetire
That migh work ok. The speedo cable has rather large ends on both sides, it may make it difficult. Once you fish the gauge side through the firewall and up to the top of the tunnel it was easy from there.

I bought the Gemo cable from PP and it fit perfect.
VaccaRabite
I can't even see my speedo.

(its always in the shade...)
ClayPerrine
Here's a trick that works for me. On the end that attaches to the speedo, wrap some electrical tape behind the nut for the speedo. That way, when you feed the cable into the tunnel, it doesn't leave the nut behind.

If you do that, you won't have to use a string to pull it in the car.
Cap'n Krusty
If you think a speedo cable replacement is a PITA, you're in deep doodoo when it comes to working on 914s .................

The Cap'n
underthetire
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 26 2009, 04:39 PM) *

If you think a speedo cable replacement is a PITA, you're in deep doodoo when it comes to working on 914s .................

The Cap'n

Didn't say hard to do, just a PITA. Had the trans out, rebuilt first gear, that was a piece of cake.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.