Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got flashed today!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jenny
I was tooling around town in my primer/flakey silver paint car this afternoon, getting quotes for body work and paint. I was stopped at a red light, and saw a black 911 convertible pull up across the street, also waiting for the light. He flashed his lights at me! I was suspicious at first, "is he flashing at me, or is there a real porsche behind me?" laugh.gif I raised my hand and casually waved, a flighty wave that wouldn't embarass me if his flash wasn't directed towards me. He waved back!! It felt great! It also felt great driving with the top down today. I can't wait to have my car pretty, complete, and back on the road again!

Jen
URY914
Could you flash us?
(sorry, I don't even know you and I shouldn't have said that)

Nice avatar, has kinda a Patty Hearse look to it.

Paul
lapuwali
Funny, I was flashed by a 993 today on the way home. I thought it was pretty odd, and decided attitudes really do change. He they still don't flash 924s, though. wink.gif
jonwatts
Congratulations! Makes you want to paint your car, doesn't it?
Hawktel
Right on Jen. So whats your quotes for Body work/Paint looking like?

I need mine to be painted, and body worked!
Jenny
The quote for painting exterior, door jams and trunks is around 1500. I should have it back pretty soon. I'll definitely be plastering pics of it all over here for you guys to see.

Jen
jonwatts
Have you picked a color yet? What color was that chassis originally?

When are you having it done?

I await your responses with bait breath blink.gif
Jenny
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Mar 12 2004, 09:36 PM)
I await your responses with bait breath blink.gif

Ewww.... blink.gif

Yeah, I picked a color already. It's a light light light silver blue. I don't remember Maaco's name for it, but it pretty much looks like the sky reflecting off a silver car. Won't be too obtrusive if seen next to the original silver. I can relate to Kim's sentiments about Porsches always being silver. I wanted something a little different. But going signal orange doesn't seem like a viable option. Too far from original color. And metallic doesn't show imperfections as much. wink.gif

I dropped it off this afternoon. They should be able to start on Monday. If I can get the damned lights to work, I'd be able to take it to Patrick's at the end of the month.

I gotta thank the good weather for motivating me to get off my ass and get started on this.

Jen
Hawktel
On mine I was considering pulling all the interior, and just bolting back in the seat, driving it to maaco, pulling the seat and having them paint it that way.

My question is what do they do with the Fresh air vent in the cowl? Thats where my ugly respray shows through the worse.
joea9146
I gotta thank the good weather for motivating me to get off my ass and get started on this

When is it not Good Wether..... lol3.gif
ejm
QUOTE(Hawktel @ Mar 12 2004, 10:51 PM)
My question is what do they do with the Fresh air vent in the cowl? Thats where my ugly respray shows through the worse.

Loosen the screws on the sides of the air box and slip a piece of cardboard in there.

Jen - Plan on paint getting on everything, cover, tape off or remove whatever you can. Using clear tape to cover labels makes it easy to trim along the edge. Few budget places will do good prep work in trunks, I would wash them down with thinner and scuff the paint with a Scotchbrite pad.

And be careful if they cover the engine. I knew a Beetle owner who had his car painted, the plastic got sucked into the fan. Ended up with a pretty car that didn't run.
TheCabinetmaker
Macco? ohmy.gif run, run, run away!
krk
QUOTE(Jenny @ Mar 12 2004, 09:45 PM)
Yeah, I picked a color already. It's a light light light silver blue. I don't remember Maaco's name for it, but it pretty much looks like the sky reflecting off a silver car. Won't be too obtrusive if seen next to the original silver. I can relate to Kim's sentiments about Porsches always being silver. I wanted something a little different. But going signal orange doesn't seem like a viable option. Too far from original color. And metallic doesn't show imperfections as much. wink.gif

I dropped it off this afternoon. They should be able to start on Monday. If I can get the damned lights to work, I'd be able to take it to Patrick's at the end of the month.

I gotta thank the good weather for motivating me to get off my ass and get started on this.

Jen

Hey Jen, glad to hear of the forward progress!

I don't recall the original color -- it was a silver wasn't it? If so, you won't have as much grief on the color change part. The new color sounds purty! (and yeh, silver is The Right Color™ for P-cars wub.gif )

Hope it goes well!

kim.
blonde914
Jen, I am so excited for you!!! boldblue.gif
The best part is I had some guy in a Porsche flash his lights and honk at me over and over again last summer right when I got the car, I even pulled over because I thought something was wrong with my car. Is this something that Porsche owners do? Never heard of it before, boy do I feel blond!!! driving-girl.gif

Learn something new everyday!

Sherry
Joe Bob
The flash started with the 356 crowd and continued with the 911 taildraggers.....the 914s don't do it much as the lights are retractable and don't respond quickly.

Some 914s will flash the fogs, if you have them and are fast enough....

On the 911 and 356 list, they bitch about the newbies that don't do it or don't know the history behind it. The Boxster drivers seem to get the biggest ribbing as they are most likey sipping latte, cell phone talking and primping in the mirror to notice or to flash....

YMMV
TimT
Jen do you have a sample of the color your painting your car?

Ive been thinking of doing my 911 gulf blue... but thats like a "sacred color" robins egg blue is a possibility... just looking for ideas..
Jenny
No sample... sad.gif , but I should have pictures as early as next week. I'll keep everyone posted on its progress.

Jen
trojanhorsepower
Jen that sounds like a great color!

Tell me about your side arms in your avatar. That looks like some pretty serious hardware.

-Pete
Pnambic
One of the original colors for a '64 Corvette was "Silver Blue". Beautiful color. My father in law has one. I've been told by my better half that signal orange is not an option, so I've been leaning toward this color myself.

Looks like this:
Jenny
Pete, that's a beretta and a glock. I much prefer the latter. Unfortunately, that particular one was traded for an M1 Garand. I also have some pics of me playing Lara Croft toting an AR15.

Jen
Jenny
Pnambic~ Yes, I think that's pretty damn close to the color I got. I only saw a 1"X1" sample of it. Hopefully it'll look good all over the car. laugh.gif

Jen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.