Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: master cylinder access
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skiking
Is there a better (or easier) way to access the master brake cylinder on a '75 teener than crawling underneath by jacking up the front of the car? I need to get at the reset switch that's apparently on the master cylinder for the brake flasher.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Robbie
tat2dphreak
nope... and check it for leaks under there... it sucks to replace it but if it's leaking or not working right you have to.
ClayPerrine
If you just need to push the reset switch, then you can turn the wheels hard right against the stop. Then follow the left tie rod inward, and once you get your hand inside, you can drop down to the master cylinder. The button is on the outboard side in the center of the cylinder.

If you want to just visually inspect it, pull the left front wheel and use a flashlight to look at the master cylinder. You can't do any service work this way, but it is a good quick check for visible leaks.

Otherwise break out the 914 feet (AKA Jackstands) and pull the gravel pan off.

SirAndy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 26 2009, 02:46 PM) *

If you just need to push the reset switch, then you can turn the wheels hard right against the stop. Then follow the left tie rod inward, and once you get your hand inside, you can drop down to the master cylinder. The button is on the outboard side in the center of the cylinder.

agree.gif You can get to the switch with the car on the ground ...
zonedoubt
Your master cylinder may not have a switch on it. I reset mine by unscrewing the sensor, then putting it back in.
jaxdream
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Sep 26 2009, 04:31 PM) *

Your master cylinder may not have a switch on it. I reset mine by unscrewing the sensor, then putting it back in.

Did you allow air to get into the master cylinder ??You may have to bleed the system , I could be wrong . confused24.gif

Jaxdream
zonedoubt
Nope. I don't recall any fluid coming out.
skiking
[quote name='zonedoubt' date='Sep 26 2009, 04:31 PM' post='1218970']

I assume the sensor is on the master cylinder?
zonedoubt
Yes. One or two wires attached to it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.