Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gracious Dr makes a house call
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
plas76targa
As if he doesn't have enough transmissions to work on.. I have been wanting to change my tail shift to a side shifter for some time now. Bought most of the necessary parts more than a year ago. So Mike and I were IM'ing this past week making plans to drive down to Atlanta for his clinic there in two weeks and he says' "I'll drive down soon and switch your tranny for you". After a few more IM's it works out to be yesterday. We started late in the afternoon with lofty goals of going to the local PCA Autocross near Annapolis on Sunday morning.

No such luck. I had some fatherly duties with my three boys, the tail cone needed a stud drilled out (I was too slow and Mike fixed that while I was dealing with the boys once), and we were delayed with removing the old nuts on the engine mount location - both my 1/2 and my 13 mm sockets have taken a hike and nothing else I had would fit in that tight location. Two trips to the local Wall Mart for gear oil and to buy a socket set were also interruptions.

I reached "worthless" around 2:30 am and Mike kept going until discovering I didn't have the plates or pieces that replace the motor mounts. I was up at 6:30 hoping to go to AX but found the car in the garage still on jack stands. At that point I realized the AX was too lofty a goal and I didn't bother Mike until almost noon.

What a great friend to drive 90 minutes to change my transmission and stay at it way past the time I crashed! I'll take this moment to plug for his clinic's. If you haven't signed up for Canada or Atlanta do so NOW. You're gauranteed a fun time. See you in Atlanta.

Now to find those needed plates and get Mike to 'visit' again.

Thanks Mike! I'm forever in debt to you for the work you've done.

VaccaRabite
No, the question is: did he remember to get my bag like he said he was gunna?

What plates do you need? I've got a set of new motor mounts you can have if you need them. By plates do you mean the squares that mount the engine block to the mount? I *MAY* have a spare set of those too. Have to look at my spare core motor.

Zach

zymurgist
Cool story bro. thumb3d.gif
scotty b
Keep an eye on yer wife while he's around dry.gif He comes across as this great guy willing to help anyone at anytime, but I've seen the real Evil within. My poor dog put herself down after what that sick bastard did to her mad.gif
plas76targa
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 27 2009, 07:04 PM) *

No, the question is: did he remember to get my bag like he said he was gunna?

What plates do you need? I've got a set of new motor mounts you can have if you need them. By plates do you mean the squares that mount the engine block to the mount? I *MAY* have a spare set of those too. Have to look at my spare core motor.

Zach

Red bag? My son traded that at school for a video game. biggrin.gif

I picked the bag up in my house - I think I carried it out to his car.

I put the 911 engine mounts on all four corners two years ago - Mike says these two plates replace the mounts on the front/engine bar points - where the wide engine mount bar attaches to the body
ClayPerrine
In a pinch you can flip the tail shifter mounts upside down and use a longer bolt to attach the side shifter bar. But you end up with 2 rubber mounts in the system.......

Dr Evil
smile.gif I have a serious problem. dry.gif
plas76targa
Clay - I had that same thought, flip the 'old' mounts. Scotty - you got it on the nose happy11.gif .. fortunately K was out of town hence my occasional requirement to check on the kids. We had fun.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(plas76targa @ Sep 27 2009, 09:11 PM) *

Mike says these two plates replace the mounts on the front/engine bar points - where the wide engine mount bar attaches to the body

okay, so these are not the plates that mount to the engine block itself? If so, I don't have a spare set for you. sad.gif

Zach
Richard Casto
QUOTE(plas76targa @ Sep 27 2009, 08:54 PM) *

I reached "worthless" around 2:30 am and Mike kept going...

When I visited him earlier this year I learned that Mike is just getting warmed up at about midnight!
Dr Evil
Matt, I will see if I can secure you a set from a parts vendor here today. I'll let you know.
Dr Evil
Matt, I got the parts for you from a vendor friend of mine up in Ono. smile.gif
plas76targa
Thanks Mike - you da' man.
MikeSpraggi
So he did make it down to your place on Saturday. I got up to his place about 1 or 2 PM that Saturday to drop another tranny off for a rebuild. I felt kinda bad 'cause he was just getting up from a long night at work/school.
Dr Evil
Dont feel bad, Mike. I was laying in bed too late that day. smile.gif Sorry you had to see me in my bath robe blink.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 29 2009, 03:30 AM) *

Dont feel bad, Mike. I was laying in bed too late that day. smile.gif Sorry you had to see me in my bath robe blink.gif

last time i was at your place mike, i was in your bath robe blink.gif

av-943.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Sep 29 2009, 10:10 AM) *

last time i was at your place mike, i was in your bath robe blink.gif

av-943.gif

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
type47
Sorry I couldn't make it, but let me just say
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif (no, not of the bathrobe, of the swap)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.