Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Converting a tail shift to a side shifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
Here are some pics of the side shift conversion I started on Matt's transmission. These are transmission specific pics as the rest of the parts are pictured around here (and Matt coulnt find them all rolleyes.gif ). I'll take more pics on my second trip to finish this up.

First is a pic of the guts from a tail shifter gear box. Yellow arrows are the shift rods which need to be changed. Orange arrow is the shift selector rod the is removed and thrown into a trash can beerchug.gif YAY.
Click to view attachment

Rods removed.
Click to view attachment

Side shift rods installed.
Click to view attachment

Dr Evil
Here is the plug (yellow arrow) and gasket (orange) used ONLY on the tail shifter. The plug is removed from the hole that the side shifter console will be inserted in.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
plas76targa
Mike - I lined up those four tail shift rods on the counter in my garage. I'll take a photo if you like to insert between photo's 1 & 2. ..and next time we'll make sure the D-R-I-P tray is right side up!
m-owen2
I know this sounds crazy, would you be willing to sell the parts you removed from the transmission you just converted? I have a side shifter that I need to convert to a tail shift.( don't ask it would take to long to explain)

Mark
JRust
QUOTE(m-owen2 @ Oct 10 2009, 10:09 AM) *

I know this sounds crazy, would you be willing to sell the parts you removed from the transmission you just converted? I have a side shifter that I need to convert to a tail shift.( don't ask it would take to long to explain)

Mark

Dude I am sure someone would be willing to just trade you a tailshift for a side shift. I know I would be more than happy to. Although we'd have to ship to do it confused24.gif
m-owen2
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 10 2009, 02:11 PM) *

QUOTE(m-owen2 @ Oct 10 2009, 10:09 AM) *

Mark

Dude I am sure someone would be willing to just trade you a tailshift for a side shift. I know I would be more than happy to. Although we'd have to ship to do it confused24.gif

I would have gladly done that before buying and installing all these new parts including a 904 mainshaft, I was not thinking when I did this. Like I said earlier it would take to long to explain but I often act before thinking things completely thru.
Dr Evil
They are yours if you contact plas76targa smile.gif
plas76targa
M-Owen2 - I'll PM you about the side shift parts
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.