Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: newbie- what can you advise about this car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
advtracing
Hello All, I'm a newbie to this forum ( but a regular on 911s reg , pelican , etc..) and one of the founders of www.early911nz.org ( new Zealand group for pre 74 911,912 and 914's ) .
So long time admirer , first time buyer of a 914 and i have acquired this car ( pic attached ) . what can someone tell me about this , it's a 1974 with 2.0ltr engine , factory white paint ( ? ) and green script
vin 4742917762

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
welcome.png

Never seen the car and it's not in our VIN database but it looks like a decent chassis from the picture.

If you're handy with tools (sounds like it from your post) and you own a set of 4 jackstands, you'll be doing just fine. biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif Andy
RJMII
welcome.png

I can't tell you much, though. but, welcome!
jaxdream
You need a targa top , rocker panel covers , front bumper , look at the little tag , if it's there , on the body when the driver's door is opened, it's a Karmann tag , it will have the body paint code on it , you can find the original body color from the code chart , IIRC the chart is in the info section at the top of the screen header , great to see you going for the 914 format !!! piratenanner.gif

welcome.png

Jaxdream
Sleepin
w00t.gif locust.gif

biggrin.gif
advtracing
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Sep 29 2009, 06:22 PM) *

w00t.gif locust.gif

biggrin.gif

i should be so luckly laugh.gif
Rand
Many more pics needed! smile.gif
Hopefully you can share from camera card instead of scans... Easier that way.
Rand
Sir Andy knows it is decent chassis from said peek sure. I honor and learn how so. poke.gif
advtracing
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 29 2009, 07:39 PM) *

Many more pics needed! smile.gif
Hopefully you can share from camera card instead of scans... Easier that way.

The car is in storage at the moment and i will have it home this weekend once one of the other cars head out for further work. So i'll get photos , full spec of the numbers and let's see what comes up.
one question - the paint codes spec sheet does not list a type of white for the 74 year yet this car has not been repainted ? huh.gif
advtracing
forgot ... any other members listed in new zealand?
Sleepin
I would think it would be an L80E (light ivory). Not sure on the members in NZ. It seems like there is quite a car culture there from everything I have heard, so I would not be suprised if we have a member or two from there.
SirAndy
QUOTE(advtracing @ Sep 28 2009, 10:43 PM) *

one question - the paint codes spec sheet does not list a type of white for the 74 year yet this car has not been repainted ? huh.gif

The only white (available for all years) is "Light Ivory" "L80E".
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors

bye1.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 28 2009, 10:42 PM) *

Sir Andy knows it is decent chassis from said peek sure. I honor and learn how so. poke.gif

- For starters, i can see the backing plate for the jack post and it seems largely intact. That's usually one of the first things to fall off.

- Secondly, the top is off yet the door gaps look fine. On a severely rusted tub, it's usually the top that prevents the car from folding.

- There appears to be no visual damage and the front hood lines up nicely with the headlights and the curve of the body in front.

- I can't see the garage floor peeking through the long.

Is that enough for 'ya?
biggrin.gif Andy
Rand
biggrin.gif Ok, great observations.
After my last car I'm just a little too paranoid of 914 chassis to trust them without some serious digging around up close and personal. The driver's side of my black car had an intact jack post and a perfect door gap with top off, but you *could* see the garage floor through the hell hole.
smile.gif
Anyway, hopefully this one is solid.
Welcome advtracing, looking forward to seeing more.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(advtracing @ Sep 28 2009, 09:29 PM) *

w00t.gif locust.gif

biggrin.gif

locust.gif locust.gif locust.gif agree.gif That would be cool! welcome.png assimilate.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 29 2009, 12:28 PM) *

QUOTE(advtracing @ Sep 28 2009, 09:29 PM) *

w00t.gif locust.gif
biggrin.gif

locust.gif locust.gif locust.gif agree.gif That would be cool!

agree.gif

The VIN is within the range of possible LE cars! w00t.gif

Time for a COA?
idea.gif Andy
ClayPerrine
If it is unmolested, this would be the first LE with Fuchs.....

6freak
QUOTE(advtracing @ Sep 28 2009, 10:29 PM) *

w00t.gif locust.gif

biggrin.gif

there never was a "Grasshopper"
KELTY360
QUOTE(6freak @ Sep 29 2009, 03:06 PM) *

w00t.gif locust.gif

biggrin.gif

Aww why ya gotta say that? Next you'll tell us there's no abominal snowman....and what about sporto 916's?
championgt1
agree.gif Thanks for the buzzkill Mike!
majkos
agree.gif
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 29 2009, 03:28 PM) *

w00t.gif locust.gif

biggrin.gif

Aww why ya gotta say that? Next you'll tell us there's no abominal snowman....and what about sporto 916's?

agree.gif

GRASShoper! smoke.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
It's all good.
Sleepin
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 29 2009, 05:28 PM) *

w00t.gif locust.gif

biggrin.gif

Maybe no sporto 916....but there is a sporto 914 on Austrian eBay right now.... biggrin.gif
PanelBilly
I think you should fly me over to help you restore it. I may need to stay for a few years so better add a room on to your house.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(6freak @ Sep 29 2009, 02:06 PM) *

w00t.gif locust.gif

biggrin.gif

I don't know if there never was a Grasshopper, but the Porsche script on this car does not look like factory LE script to me. The letters look too narrow and rounded. Hard to tell from the picture.

I would like to believe in Grasshoppers as much as I would like to believe the readers letters in Penthouse, so until I find myself in a threesome with my wife and her long-lost twin sister, I will have to suspend my belief that this is in fact a Grasshopper.
advtracing
OK , curiosity got the better of me so i have gone to the lock up and taken photos of the id plates etc... so have a look and advise me rolleyes.gif

http://s359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/ad...mview=slideshow
P.Rocket
QUOTE(advtracing @ Sep 29 2009, 11:12 PM) *

OK , curiosity got the better of me so i have gone to the lock up and taken photos of the id plates etc... so have a look and advise me rolleyes.gif

I'm as green as they come when I.D'ing factory 914's.
Some things in the photos that make me go hmmmmm.
Or the nightshift is making my brain short circuit.

Paint tag has 1849549 / Other ? tag has 1829549???
Grey color in the door jams???
Red color on the longs and interior??? confused24.gif

Ok boys and girls, shed some light on this for me so I can be way smarter by sleep-time.

Cheers, Andrew.
flipb
QUOTE(advtracing @ Sep 30 2009, 02:12 AM) *

The Karmann tag shows L 80 E, so it's an original Light Ivory color...

OK, there's my valuable contribution.
Rod
Welcome to 914W!

I was only thinking about New Zealand members the other day (wondering if there were any 914's there?!?) I am married to a Kiwi girl from Tauranga! I will be hopefully emigrating in about 5 years time and wanted to take the 914 with me (I'm currently in the UK)

How many 914's have you seen over there??
Michael N
It is hard to tell from the pictures but is the rear sail panel trim painted black?
advtracing
I'm as green as they come when I.D'ing factory 914's.
Some things in the photos that make me go hmmmmm.
Or the nightshift is making my brain short circuit.

Paint tag has 1849549 / Other ? tag has 1829549???
Grey color in the door jams???
Red color on the longs and interior??? confused24.gif

Ok disregarded the grey and red , these are primer only as the body has had some work done by the last owner .
i agree with the "why different codes ?" why ? and why only 1 digit difference ?
I have added some data in the vin data base but here is is the past data;

Imported into New Zealand in 1996 from past US owner Gary Caputo , San Clemente ,CA
California plate number was 1ntz949

Has had 2 New Zealand owners but never registered here only ever been in storage. (13 years)

The rocker covers were black and the targa bar is in black vinyl. The interior was black and had centre gauge console.
So i guess to find out any more i need the COA? type.gif
advtracing
QUOTE(Rod @ Oct 1 2009, 03:50 AM) *

Welcome to 914W!

I was only thinking about New Zealand members the other day (wondering if there were any 914's there?!?) I am married to a Kiwi girl from Tauranga! I will be hopefully emigrating in about 5 years time and wanted to take the 914 with me (I'm currently in the UK)

How many 914's have you seen over there??

As far as i know ( being ex pcnz committee ) there is only 5 cars in new zealand , 4 imports and 1 brand new 914/6
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.