Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To the V8 guys - how much did you have to offset your CV joints?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cheapsnake
I'm in the process of designing my engine mounts for my V8 conversion (3.5 L Rover) and trying to get the engine as far back as possible to avoid cutting the bulkhead. This, of course results in an offset from the outer to the inner CV joints since it moves the tranny back. Right now I'm looking at about 1/2" offset, but another 1/2" (1" total) would be nice. Is that too much??? Dunno, I'm concerned about inducing too much angle in the joints that could result in heat buildup and premature wear.

I'm guessing most of you V8 guys are running your CV joints offset. Happily, I haven't heard of any problems, but still curious what your offsets are and if you have seen any problems. Thanks.

Tom
rick 918-S
I moved my trans mounts 1 1/2" back with no issues. assimilate.gif
jimkelly
the renegade set up pushes the trans back 1.5 inches - so what ever that equates to in degrees. the 914 cv is not considered to have a wide range but i can not find which porsche cv does - i think 944 ?

TC 914-8
I think the Rod Simpson kit moves the trans back at least 1-1/2". From what I see on the shift linkage extension and trans mount adaptors.
1/2 you'll be OK
jd74914
I believe the 930 CV allows for the most misalignment. That's just an educated guess since I know sandrail guys use 930 CVs. smile.gif
jk76.914
This guy has done some measurements-

http://www.blindchickenracing.com/How_to/C..._joints_101.htm

Note that what he calls "type 4" refers to 924/944/VW Thing.

Here's his chart:

Maximum Angularity for each CV is listed below

Type 1 is 12 degrees
Type 2 is 17 degrees
Type 4 is 22 degrees
930 is 25 degrees

He didn't measure 914, so I did at the time. I was installing a pair of brand new (from the Porsche dealer) Lobro axles. I measured 22 degrees offset.

Other measures- ball and race size, diameter, etc, may indicate robustness.

Jim
Cheapsnake
Thanks guys, great help. A 1 1/2" offset over an approximately 20" axle length translates to about 5* if my rusty old trig calcs are right. Not even close to the limit. I'm good for another inch!!!

Tom
Phoenix-MN
Just a thought

Type 1 is 12 degrees
Type 2 is 17 degrees
Type 4 is 22 degrees
930 is 25 degrees

Are these numbers for a single plane or X and Y combined?
jk76.914
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Sep 30 2009, 12:58 PM) *

Just a thought

Type 1 is 12 degrees
Type 2 is 17 degrees
Type 4 is 22 degrees
930 is 25 degrees

Don't know for sure. You can contact BlindChickenRacing to ask. I don't see the point in posting one-axis offset though.

http://www.blindchickenracing.com/How_to/C..._joints_101.htm
JRust
Another thing to keep in mind is while you are moving it back. Like Renegades for instance. They move it back 1 1/2" but also the adapter drops it 3/4". So that does compensate somewhat for the movement back. Again well with the safe range.
Cheapsnake
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Sep 30 2009, 08:58 AM) *

Just a thought

Type 1 is 12 degrees
Type 2 is 17 degrees
Type 4 is 22 degrees
930 is 25 degrees

The limits should be for both x and y axis since the CV joint is unconcerned about axis, just the total amount of flex in any direction.
Actually, my calculation isn't entirely realistic since it only accounts for the x axis. However, factoring in y axis flex wouldn't change the resulting total flex angle a whole lot. In fact, while I'm wringing my hands over x axis flex, it's probably a very minor part of the total flex when you consider the total travel (5-6"?) of the wheel hub in the y plane.

Tom
charliew
I know this is not angle specific but: If the axles will be longer doesn't that mean the splines would need to be longer to allow the cv's morebetter positioning also?
marks914
Moved mine back 1-1/4" with a desert hybrids kit. The trans is also lower with the setback mounts. No big deal, works fine for 7-8 years now.
Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.