Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many qts of oil in your tank?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seebobgo
When I got my 914-6 3.2 conversion, it smoked billows. It was way to full of oil. It showed normal on the dip stick. After seeing a few photos, I came to the conclution that the filler neck was set in to high. So my dip stick is wortless. Are all tanks created equal?

I'm going to do a oil change and try to measure out whats in there, now that I have burned off a lot of the excess oil. The smoking has calmed down to a puff.
IronHillRestorations
If you haven't started the engine in a few days it will puff smoke on cold starting.

If you have a factory style tank and don't have an external oil cooler, you should be safe starting with 9 1/2 qts.

Check the oil level with the engine idling at operating temp, parked on a level spot.

I know a few guys who have accidentally over filled their (new to them) "6" and belched motor oil all over the engine bay, because they checked the oil with the engine off.
SirAndy
Do you have a catch can?

I've overfilled my oil twice and as long as your catch can is large enough, you won't get any smoke at all as the excess oil just collects in the can.

shades.gif Andy
pete-stevers
just a thought you may not want to run your engine with to much oil...you may push out a seal
the amount depends on if you have an external oil cooler and lines

always check it and top it when it is running and on level ground

and don't rev it until oil has reached operating temp..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.