Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: saturday carnage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
To those higher minds out there, what do you think? Any obvious scary looking things in there?

The case split went pretty easy, thanks to having jakes video on a full time loop in my office.

One part I did not like was tapping the pins out of the pistons. I used a wooden dowel and a brass hammer but it seemed like an awful lot of force was being transmitted to those big rod bearings on the crank, that can't be good.

I even tried shimming the piston with a block of wood but that didn't always work out due to alignment.

I just want to get it right when I put it back together.

Right now I am really good at taking things apart, like when I was 12 smile.gif

dr
Mueller
I'd say not many oil changes and lots and lots of heat has been absorbed by that motor.........
machina
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 13 2004, 04:42 PM)
I'd say not many oil changes and lots and lots of heat has been absorbed by that motor.........

it ain't seen nothing yet.

dr
DNHunt
Looks pretty much like what I saw a couple weeks ago when Kevin, my son Gerry and I split and old engine from Rich Dauenhauer ( sorry Rich I'm sure I screwed that up). Taking it apart was great fun until I tried to pull the cam and dizzy gears off the crankshaft. That was a bit of a problem and now I get to buy a new cam gear. Live and learn.

Clean up is a ball of fun. All those nooks and crannies are hard to clean and there is a baked on residue that just plain takes work. Not as bad as a firewall pad but close. Berryman's can give you a real buzz so use LOTS of ventilation.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.