Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: chain ramp install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blabla914
OK, so I've got my 2.0L 6 long block all together except the very last chain ramp in the tensioner housing on the 1,2,3 side. I'm using the hard plastic ramps first introduced on the '76 930. I've managed to get all the others in no problem, but this one is giving me a real problem. I already broke the retention doohicky off of one ramp. I don't see anything different between the posts on the 1,2,3 side and the 4,5,6 side, but it just won't go on.

My 911 factory manual for '67-'72 only shows how to install the ramps with the wire in the bottom. My up to '83 factory manual has no text on ramp installation. Bruce Anderson's book has a nice comparision of the different ramps types, but also no text on installation.

So WTF am I doing wrong? I mean there's just no room to pry apart the flipping retention doohicky. The best idea so far suggested by a friend is to heat the ramp in some hot water. I'd prefer to hear from somebody who's done this installation before instead of re-inventing the wheel.

Kelly
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(blabla914 @ Mar 13 2004, 12:19 PM)
...one is giving me a real problem. ...

i know i have pictures and i'm surprised there are none in Bruce's book. i'll check Pelican Wayne's book - i'm pretty sure that's where i saw this recently. but first - there are supposed to be 5 black, one brown - you got that, right ? but the left bank uses all black ones, so that shouldn't be your problem (unless maybe you're trying to put a brown one over there ...

the long end always points to the closest sprocket. that's the other important thing.

which of the 3 are you having trouble with - top, bottom left, or bottom right ?

in the section on installing the inboard chain ramps, Pelican Wayne's book says: "Two odd-shaped bolts that pass through the case create the mounts for the chain ramps. Place each ramp inside the case and hold it there as you thread in the chain ramp bolts. ... Push the bolts through the center of the holes in the ramps. ... "
blabla914
Thanks for the suggestions. I got all that together. It's the one in the 1,2,3 tensioner housing. The VERY last one I need to put in. No it's not brown. That's the lower right in the case as I recall.

Kelly
ArtechnikA
the last thing Wayne says in that section is "verify the ramps have properly snapped onto their mounting bolts." so i suppose that a defective ramp, or some kind of irregularity in the mounting bolts, could cause a problem. sorry i can't be more help, i did this once and it was unremarkable, so i don't remember any more about it than that ...
blabla914
Seems it should be unremarkable. Thanks.

Kelly
blabla914
I heated the ramp up in some boiling water on my stove and it went on in 2 seconds.

Kelly
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.