Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: starter question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
weird_looking_cactus
I just replaced the ignition switch and still can't get the car started turning the key. But for the past 4 weeks I have been touching the yellow wire(igintion switch wire) right to the positive on the battery. But I don't let it run through any of the relays first. So I have screwed up 3 starters and I wondering if maybe if the starter is getting to many volts and thats why my starters are going out so fast. The guys at auto zone are probley going to freek out when I come in and ask for another starter.
blabla914
So you're jumping direct from the battery to the terminal that should be coming from the key right?

If that is what you're doing, it should not hurt the starter. My bug has a 914 starter in it and it has been running since 1970 with a ford solenoid delivering power directly from the battery to the terminal from the key. I has never hurt any of the 6v or 12v starters fitted to the car.

I'm assuming you've checked to see that you have 12v at the starter both from the key and from the battery and you've checked all the grounds including the rear strap? If you're on your 3rd starter sounds like it might be something else.

Kelly
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(weird_looking_cactus @ Mar 13 2004, 12:56 PM)
...I wondering if maybe if the starter is getting to many volts and thats why my starters are going out so fast.

The guys at auto zone are probley going to freek out when I come in and ask for another starter.

the starter is supposed to get all the battery voltage, but i think you're right - you have some kind of problem that's killing them.

why would the guys at Auto Zone not come greet you with the red carpet? you're paying for these starters, right ? i should think they'd be glad to sell them to you by the carload ...
weird_looking_cactus
Nope I got a starter with a 1 year warrenty from them so they have to replace it. laugh.gif
blabla914
Or "you have some kind of problem that's killing them" like he said.

Kelly
914ghost
Well,
I think I'm right in saying there are NO relays in the or ignition circuit.
Same as to fuses- WAY too easy to fail a relay or blow a fuse, and if you dont have a spare your car cannot be started.
I have never heard of voltage destroying a starter, at leats not in a regular car-
is it possible you have wired the starter / solenoid wrong?
If you had something in the 'voltage' area strong enough to destroy a starter, it would fry the whole circuit TO the starter first. Maybe your solenoid-to-starter connection is wrong.
Try this:
Get another starter if you're sure you've blown the one you have- ALSO get a remote starter button (has an insulated push button and two long wires with alligator clips at the end) they're usually under $10.
With your next GOOD starter, bolt it in and attach the battery positive to the solenoid as normal- LEAVE the rest unconnected.
Make SURE the engine is grounded, even ground teh battery to it if needed.
You then *clip one of the wires from your remote button to the large + terminal (battery) on the solenoid then the other *clip on goes to the PUSH on spade terminal on the solenoid (the only other connection).
Pushing the button SHOULD be like turning the key.
Always in Neutral. Always in Neutral. Always in Neutral. Always in Neutral. Always in Neutral.
You should be able to crank the engine over easily like this- if you fry a starter using this method you better get a priest you have bigger problems than we can help you with. blink.gif
_Bob O
tracks914
I was once corrected (by Brad I think) that the 914 starters turn the opposite direction to a bug starter. Could it be that simple that you have the wrong starter?
Always start with the easy stuff.
tracks914
Do you now have 5 reverse gears and only one forward? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Mar 13 2004, 06:39 PM)
Do you now have 5 reverse gears and only one forward? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Dave_Darling
Ummm, no... The Bug starters are in the same spot on the transmission. The Bug engine turns the same direction as ours. Therefore, the Bug starter turns the same way as ours.

Other starters don't, but those are for engines that have the starter mounted to the engine rather than the transmission, or for motors that turn the other way. (Those are not very common though.)

--DD
Dave Bell
Weird stuff guy... check out how you have the starter wired up.

If you are up under the back end, drivers side of the car, looking at the starter, you should have the heavy duty cable from the plus side of the battery wired to the big screw post on the left side of the solenoid. The right screw post on the solenoid should come prewired to the starter.

The yellow wire should go to one of the two smaller spade lug posts on the top of the solenoid. Running 12 Volts to one of these lugs, (which is what you do when the key is in the start position), powers the solenoid which in turn powers the starter.

I assume that when you say you are touching the yellow wire to the + side of the battery, you are not leaving it there... i.e. leaving the starter in the start position... that could destory a starter...

You can check your ignition power circuit at two places on the relay circuit board... it comes in on pin 1 of the cable coming from the dash and connecting to the circuit board near the fire wall. It goes out on the yellow wire from pin 6 on the big connector on the other side of the relay circuit board. Turning the key to start, should obviously take these wired connections to something near +12 Volts.

- Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.