Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dating My Doors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
Too easy for a joke. Anyway, I was starting to rebuild my lock mechanism on the drivers door and tore up the rear window guide cap. I went to order one (anybody got a good used one?) and noticed they differ for up to, and after 1973 (My car is a 1970). I then noticed that my two end caps (right vs. left) are different. Not sure whether I need an ear;y or later version for my driver's door. Since the driver's door has been replaced, I'm guessing it's the later model, but you never can tell. Is there some way to tell whether the driver's door, and therefore it's end cap, is early or late? The driver's door end cap (the one I destroyed) has a rounder slot for the window thatn the passenger side one which is more angular looking.
URY914
Match.com
Ferg
Later doors have a inner brace... early doors do not.
Cupomeat
Also, it is my understanding that the early doors have the guide chain style window riser, where the later doors have the scissor style.

ghuff
My 1975 has scissor style window lifts in each door if that helps any Ken.
ghuff
My 1975 has scissor style window lifts in each door if that helps any Ken.
TROJANMAN
Just try and pick up it up. If you can't, then you have a later door laugh.gif

cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
kenshapiro2002
Is the brace just an extra part in the stamping or something bolted on?

QUOTE(Ferg @ Oct 2 2009, 11:10 AM) *

Later doors have a inner brace... early doors do not.

r_towle
Early doors, up to the middle of 1972 have no door braces.
the door braces look like three tubes welded to the inner door skin running horizontal.

The early door window mechanism is a cable style that runs inside a metal tube, the later style is a scissor style.

Early doors have all different window rubber, including the fuzzy strips and end caps.

Pull the door panels, you may have one of each door...who knows.
AA has both early and late door parts.

Rich
kenshapiro2002
So...seems I have a late door on my '70, right?
Click to view attachment
r_towle
That is a later door, yes.

Two positive points.
Door bars will save you life.
Window mechanism is WAY better.
Rich
kenshapiro2002
Alright...I need a rear window guide cap for a later model driver's door. Anybody got one lying around?
r_towle
AA has a boatload of new ones...get new
Cupomeat
I agree, the old ones crack when brittle.

I also think that having the later doors is worth the weight, unless you are racing the car.
ClayPerrine
One correction....

Euro 73 doors do not have the door bar, but have the late model window mechanism. I know. I have one. (Parted out a euro 73 years ago).

EyeTrip
one more correction ... the rubber is the same
EyeTrip
I have one early and one late 72 doors ... I agree with the weight and the window reg smoothness. And yes ... they are different.
kenshapiro2002
What are you referring to?

QUOTE(EyeTrip @ Oct 3 2009, 12:09 AM) *

one more correction ... the rubber is the same

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.