Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom sized venturri
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
Does anyone know who can make me some custom sized venturi for Weber IDF carbs? I think you used to be able to get them from Aircooled.net, but you can't get them there any longer.

I am looking to get a set of four 28mm or 30mm vebturii made for my 44 IDFs. The smallest stock size is 32mm for the 44IDF.

yes, i know it may be easier to just find a set of IDF 40s, but I have these carbs built right and working right now.

Zach
sixnotfour
40/44 HPMX, 44 IDF
71507.XXX SERIES
43-5625 28mm $19.95

http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/buggy/...uggyintake3.htm
r_towle
Zach, Call them
Its listed at 40/44 and also 44 webers...

Call and confirm...if those are real, buy them and you are now in business.

Rich
VaccaRabite
Double post. Oops.
VaccaRabite
Holy crap! I called and talked to Dan (owner of the shop above.) he said he could not say 100% and gave me the number for EMPI to confirm. I talked to a guy named Enrico at EMPI to confirm that these venturi WILL FIT 44 IDF carbs. I mentioned the my 44s were the old Spanish ones, not new production, and was assured they would work perfectly.

This is great news!

So now the question... Do I want to get a set of 30MM or 28MM?

Zach

sixnotfour
71507.XXX SERIES

This is the correct weber PN for your 44's
jmill
Sweet source. Thanks for that. His prices are decent too. He's got the best selection of ET's I've ever seen. He's got every single one made listed. I doubt he's got them all in stock but just to have them all listed is Huge!
r_towle
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 2 2009, 04:46 PM) *

Holy crap! I called and talked to Dan (owner of the shop above.) he said he could not say 100% and gave me the number for EMPI to confirm. I talked to a guy named Enrico at EMPI to confirm that these venturi WILL FIT 44 IDF carbs. I mentioned the my 44s were the old Spanish ones, not new production, and was assured they would work perfectly.

This is great news!

So now the question... Do I want to get a set of 30MM or 28MM?

Zach

28mm works up to a big 2.0 liter....even 2.2 liter.
You have little valves, stockish cam....use 28mm.

Worst thing that happens is you loose the top end WOT from 4-6k.
The rest of the time 28mm is perfect.
You will still be able to drive up to 6k, it will affectively move your torque band down lower.
Rich
VaccaRabite
How will I need to re-jet for the smaller Vents?

current setup:
Here is a refresher on how my carbs are currently jetted
Carbs: Weber 44 IDF
Engine: 2056 with Raby carb cam (9.1:1 compression)
gas: 93 octane, ~15% ethanol (its PA, nothing much I can do about that)
Timing 26 BTDC on Mallory unilite
Altitude: under 1300 (range of 500 - 1200 most common I live in a hilly area)
Vent: 32
Aux Vent: 4.5
Pump Jet: 50
Main Jet: .125
Emulsion Tube: F11
Idle Jet: 55
Inlet Valve: 55
Air Correct:200
r_towle
I would stick with 50mm idles and 28mm vents.
You will like that, its a better around town setup.

Bigger vents are for more air..track needs more air...town needs the right amount up to 5k..

rich.
Jake Raby
You are about to create a very odd tuning scenario... With these super small vents in a large throttle bore expect the emulsion tubes to need alteration, else the main circuit will come in way early.

BTW- Enrico isn't an engine builder or carburetor guy..
yeahmag
How did you come up with 26 degrees BTDC. I was always told to run 12-28 with a Mallory.
jmill
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 2 2009, 06:16 PM) *

You are about to create a very odd tuning scenario... With these super small vents in a large throttle bore expect the emulsion tubes to need alteration, else the main circuit will come in way early.

Like jake said your mains will come in early. With the larger bore and butterflies you'll still be on the progression ports when you have enough air velocity through the small vents to pull fuel from the mains. The F11 has a lean transition. I don't know if it'll be lean enough.

Did you try setting it up like the 2 liter Fiat with 44's? The 1.7 liter Fiat-Abarth had this same setup also.

Vents = 36
Aux Vent = 4.5
Main jet= 1.45
AC jet = 1.90
ET = F9
Idle jet = .60
Accel pump jet = 40
Accel Pump back bleed = .80

VaccaRabite
I think what I am going to do is just trade Todd Enlund my 44s for his 40s, since he offered up the trade.

I am running slightly retarded timing because I am getting too hot on the highway. Any hill I take at 65+ has my head temps up to 370 with a quickness. Which is wrong.

I know these cars heat up in 5th, but I think mine is running too hot right now. Which supports the lean running theory by Jake. But I am also getting on 14 mpg when driving, which seems to support that I am running rich.

So instead of trying to tune these 44s with odd sized venturi if I move to 28s, I'm just going to move to 40s.

Zach
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 3 2009, 04:05 PM) *

I think what I am going to do is just trade Todd Enlund my 44s for his 40s, since he offered up the trade.

Good move, you won't be dissapointed; you'll just wish you'd done it that way to start with!
r_towle
QUOTE(9146986 @ Oct 4 2009, 10:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 3 2009, 04:05 PM) *

Good move, you won't be dissapointed; you'll just wish you'd done it that way to start with!

agree.gif
ME733
popcorn[1].gif ..IMHO....DON:T do the trade! KEEP THE 44,s!....You are no where near adjusting those carbs for best all round performance...and the smaller venturies of the 40,s will hurt your top end..(thought you were going to or did some D.E. or autocross events.). You will EVENTUALLY regret the "deal "if you do it......you apparently got a decent "carburator cam"...You have a larger than stock displacement. and the C.R. is higher than stock.....Those three (or one ) of these performance enhancements would normally allow you to gain somemore H.P. and torque with a bigger carburator...44,s......just keep on tweeking those things....as for overheating... retarded timing will do that, do you have a remote oil cooler?.going up and (well not) down the mountains where you live can cause overheating also. popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.