Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Excellence" magazine 930
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
I was just going thru my "Excellence" magazine (Nov. 2009), and noticed this rare 1976 Oak green metallic 930 Press-Car. It was one of 4 to come over to the U.S. from Porsche to be used by the motoring press. According to the article, this 930 was stationed here on the west coast and driven by all of the motoring mags.
A friend of mine Jay Amestoy, then editor of "VW greats" asked me to bring my 2.0 turbo over to Irwindale Raceway, then a real 1,320' track. The testing was part of the "Turbomania" article he wrote about my 914 2.0 turbo.
When they lined me up against this 930 (same oak green metallic car), I asked if they were KIDDING.
I ran him several times and smoked him ! Jay said that this 930 had been so badly beaten up by the press, that it had a malfunctioning wastegate. So I was running against a 6.5:1 cr 6 cyl with NO boost...great advantage ! My et's were in the mid 15's with hard launches and 7 psi boost. The 930 was running about high 16's.
Check out the hole shot I got on him in the b/w pic. Good piece of history for the new owner of this green turbo biggrin.gif
Marty
davesprinkle
Yeah, except you forgot that you can't turbo a 914.
ghuff
I would like to see what that 2.0 could od with something like a 3071R, modern fuel injection and E85.
seanery
Pretty Cool Marty!!!
rick 918-S
Woo Hoo! driving.gif Great piece of history! agree.gif
Drums66
Yes.....I like the looks of that one also! shades.gif
GS Guy
Very cool Marty!

So was that an early version of the current car? If so - it sure has come a long way!

Sure wish you could get back-issues of the old VW Greats magazine, it was one of my favorites of all time.
Jeff
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(GS Guy @ Oct 3 2009, 12:55 PM) *

Very cool Marty!

So was that an early version of the current car? If so - it sure has come a long way!

Sure wish you could get back-issues of the old VW Greats magazine, it was one of my favorites of all time.
Jeff

Yes Jeff , same car and some ions of morphs later dry.gif
This is another of the MSDS installations on a '75 2.0, me (L) and Blu ( R). It must have been hot that day. Hey Orville Kyle if you're out there give me a call !
Marty
r_towle
Sandals in a shop....only in CA...

Rich
Eric_Shea
And if he got close you could always swerve over and take out his tires with your "wheel-scythes"... (old Ben-Hur trick)
dlestep
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 3 2009, 08:58 PM) *

And if he got close you could always swerve over and take out his tires with your "wheel-scythes"... (old Ben-Hur trick)

and a James Bond move as well...
ghuff
What kind of turbo was that? turbine/compressor size * a/r ?
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(ghuff @ Oct 4 2009, 05:11 PM) *

What kind of turbo was that? turbine/compressor size * a/r ?

These were Rajay with a .40 a/r , I think the FB flow series.
Rajay can be cross-referrenced to a comparable newer tech turbo. Turbonetics bought out the rajay product line.
Marty
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment

Here's another pic from Irwindale, taken at the end of the track in the Sand Pit.
The caption reads "No match" , but the 2.0 served the 930 that day biggrin.gif
Marty
ghuff
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 4 2009, 08:11 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Here's another pic from Irwindale, taken at the end of the track in the Sand Pit.
The caption reads "No match" , but the 2.0 served the 930 that day biggrin.gif
Marty

I smell marketing there. smile.gif

http://www.dragtimes.com/Porsche--930-Drag-Racing.html

Those times do not add up either..........

What does a stock 930 do in the 1/4?
Maltese Falcon
To The Top:
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 2 2009, 10:53 PM) *

So I was running against a 6.5:1 cr 6 cyl with NO boost...great advantage ! My et's were in the mid 15's with hard launches and 7 psi boost. The 930 was running about high 16's.
Check out the hole shot I got on him in the b/w pic. Good piece of history for the new owner of this green turbo biggrin.gif
Marty

A turbo (any turbo) that has a malfunctioning wastegate, like this paricular 930 (valve stuck open), will be like running with a gaping 1" hole in the exhaust system ahead of the turbine inlet. In other words NO boost, and totally relying on a 6.5:1 compression ratio (n/a engine) to make horsepower. The 3,000+ lb. turbo couldn't launch or catch the 914 that day.
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment

I couldn't find any factory 1/4 mile stats, but the factory 0 to 60 (in km)
specs for the 1976 930 are shown here. The 3.0 930 turbo, non-intercooled should run in the 13.5 to 13.7 et bracket. The '78-up 3.3 intercooled should run in the 12.9 to 13.3 bracket. The 930's in the Dragtimes arena are proll'y not running anywhere near stock boost, stock Ring and pinions, etc., indicated by the et's/mph posted.
Marty
ghuff
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 5 2009, 07:20 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I couldn't find any factory 1/4 mile stats, but the factory 0 to 60 (in km)
specs for the 1976 930 are shown here. The 3.0 930 turbo, non-intercooled should run in the 13.5 to 13.7 et bracket. The '78-up 3.3 intercooled should run in the 12.9 to 13.3 bracket. The 930's in the Dragtimes arena are proll'y not running anywhere near stock boost, stock Ring and pinions, etc., indicated by the et's/mph posted.
Marty

That is what I thought and they have a lot of trap as well for their times, which leads me to believe they can't hook.

Drag racing is ruled by solid axle cars with full frames for a reason.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 2 2009, 10:53 PM) *

Click to view attachment
I was just going thru my "Excellence" magazine (Nov. 2009), and noticed this rare 1976 Oak green metallic 930 Press-Car.

Update...

This was 1976 930 #0014, restored and currently residing in the U.S.
The next car, 930 # 0015 is also here in the U.S. and owned by Magnus Walker. I've heard that Magnus' 930 was the first dealer car sold in the U.S.

Marty...still wearing Huaraches sandles biggrin.gif
relentless
Thanks for the stroll down memory lane Marty. I still remember reading about your MSDS car and turbo system back in the day. sunglasses.gif
KELTY360
You've got some interesting archives Marty. 1st person history is always compelling. Thanks for sharing.
Maltese Falcon
The 2.0 also made 149 rwhp , I wonder what % is lost through the drivetrain on our trsansaxle cars idea.gif ?
r_towle
Nice story.....wonder how many burn marks you have on yours feet?

And....if this is such a great setup, why the hell don't you make it again....
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ May 24 2014, 07:21 PM) *

The 2.0 also made 149 rwhp , I wonder what % is lost through the drivetrain on our trsansaxle cars idea.gif ?

Most "Experts" say 15% driveline loss. That would add another 22.35hp at the crank.

When I dyno'd my car is was on a 4 wheel dyno. The rear wheels turning made the front wheels spin. I would think this type of dyno would be 20%-25% loss.
iamchappy
I would like to see a new shootout with your twin turbo monster and a new 911 turbo s.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 24 2014, 07:58 PM) *

Nice story.....wonder how many burn marks you have on yours feet?

And....if this is such a great setup, why the hell don't you make it again....

The bolt-on type4 turbo kits were sold 1976-1996. Average kit price was $1,200.00 with a few options. When sales interest dropped off, we mothballed the product...leaving MSDS to go on with its line of exhaust mfg.
Today with the intetest of 914 type4's on the rise, we could return to the market.
No worries with the zapatos, these are steel toe sandals blink.gif
Marty
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 24 2014, 09:49 PM) *

I would like to see a new shootout with your twin turbo monster and a new 911 turbo s.

Chap which MSDS twin turbo, the black one or 9148 gtt in progress?
I'll be kind and spot them a few car lengths !
Click to view attachment
Justinp71
I'd think with 930 power in a 911 you'd really be cautious as to when you can get on it, give too much gas in a corner and you'll spin out before you know it... I bet that 914 would really school it on a road track.

I raced a stockish 80 911sc on slicks at thunderhill against my 914 with a 81 3.0 on webers. It was no contest, we came out of turn 15 and I blew his doors off like he wasn't moving... shows how much weight and balance plays into the role (I was going faster than him in turn 15).
iamchappy
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ May 25 2014, 02:44 AM) *

QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 24 2014, 09:49 PM) *

Chap which MSDS twin turbo, the black one or 9148 gtt in progress?
I'll be kind and spot them a few car lengths !
Click to view attachment

I guess you will have to do a run off between both.. get that 9148 gtt done so we can see which is the biggest 914 monster of all time.... first.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.