Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Action Items from our Meeting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
rick 918-S
My action item was to call Ed Morrow and see if he is up for a build off. I spoke with Ed today. He's in.

Question: Does anyone object to giving Ed the password for the Angels site so he can get up to speed?

I can vouch for him. He is a great guy and can keep a lid on what goes on here.

If you would rather not for now that's fine don't sweat it.
tat2dphreak
Absolutely no objections here
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 3 2009, 01:43 PM) *

Question: Does anyone object to giving Ed the password for the Angels site so he can get up to speed?

Rick,

I don't know Ed but if you say he is trustowrthy and can keep this forum in confidence I am good with it and would welcome his thoughts on the project as he might be lead on the build.

Thanks!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 4 2009, 05:14 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 3 2009, 01:43 PM) *

Rick,

I don't know Ed but if you say he is trustowrthy and can keep this forum in confidence I am good with it and would welcome his thoughts on the project as he might be lead on the build.

Thanks!

That's what I was thinking. He may have some pre-flight planning and instructions for the guys that end up on the build off.

Let's wait until Rob has a chance to check in before I proceed.
EdwardBlume
Its unanimous. Sounds like a good guy!
tat2dphreak
I've been around these forums long enough to know the name, and it's always spoken with high regard. that is a feat unto itself smile.gif
Kansas 914
Rick, Rob and Wayne,

I just spoke to Mary and here is a recap.

As to the time line for completion - it is her wish that the inaugural cruise in the car would be the First Day of Spring 2010 (March 21st). I think this works well for us as far as putting together the budget and raising the funds to do the build.

I also found out that she bought all new brake calipers/rotors/pads/ball joints and perhaps tie-rod ends from a local alignment shop. I know she paid a ton - but we should feel good that those parts are new.

She is sending me the phone number of her engine builder so I can get a better idea of when his part will be done. He is supposed to bring the motor to the body shop and install it there.

I have sent a preliminary budget spreadsheet to Rob to see if the format is okay for him to work from. When I have his go ahead I will try to complete the parts list.

Mike (Dr Evil) is coming to Wichita to interview with a hospital here on Nov 5th. He has offered to stay an extra day or so to look at the car and maybe even rebuild the transaxle while he is there. I am PM'ing him next. I would really welcome his input on the car as it has changed a lot since I saw it in August.

Let me know if you need anything.
rick 918-S
Good work Mike. It would be cool if Evil could do the transaxle while he's in the area.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 6 2009, 07:28 PM) *

Good work Mike. It would be cool if Evil could do the transaxle while he's in the area.

Yep - agreed - it will be a function of time I think. The company plane is stll available for that day (it isn't always available) and the Evil one is thrilled at the chance to fly in it. We are thinking about the day after his interview (which is actually the 4th of November). The nice thing about a company plane is they fly when you are ready (for the most part).

Weather can still be a factor in Kansas in November but plan B is too make the drive instead of flying or if we get him to Garden City in the plane it might mean a drive back - worst case scenario.

Doc was supposed to call me tonight - but is having car problems (stuck caliper).

Let me know if you need anything.
EdwardBlume
Mike,

Nice work.

The spreadsheet looks fine. I would add tax - 10% and shipping... ?? I'm tempted to add contingency with excess to be spent on participants with the build. Perhaps Rick can estimate costs for Ed too. Still, under $2K is awesome.

On the Dr. build, I did one with him a couple years ago and he can be trusted to build a solid box. Do you have access to the 901 in advance? It makes sense to pull the gear stack out and examine the synchros and bearings because extra needed parts will stall a rebuild cold.

Thanks again,
Rob
EdwardBlume
I'll forward the spreadsheet to Rick next....
rick 918-S
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 6 2009, 05:53 PM) *

I'll forward the spreadsheet to Rick next....

Cool, I sent an email to Ed but gave him the wrong password for this forum. I just corrected it. He should be able to check in soon.

rick 918-S
I agree. The spreadsheet looks fine if your sure we have what we need to finish the car. I agree about a shipping budget.

I will forward the spread sheet to Ed. I had had a thought. Ed works for Chris Foley.

If Chris can get the parts that are listed under the AA source is anyone upposed to getting the parts from Chris? Chris is a member vendor like AA.

Ed will know if he can get the stuff on the list for the prices listed without discussing it with Chris first.

Ed, I'm sure you read that part of what we are doing here is supporting 914 guys also. So, we are willing to purchase parts. 914 vendors can't always be expected to give parts to every cause out there.
EdwardBlume
I agree. The wheel bearings you might be able to find a better deal for all 3 (x2). I don't know much about the competitive prices on seals, but let's do the best we can while as you correctly point out support the 914 vendor.
tat2dphreak
does she need new front wheel bearings? I bought a box of em off ebay, I can send her some... I'm out of rear bearings tho.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Oct 7 2009, 10:31 AM) *

does she need new front wheel bearings? I bought a box of em off ebay, I can send her some... I'm out of rear bearings tho.

Great question - what I have discovered is she buys things I don't know about - and it makes it difficult at times. Her body guy will tell her - I need abc-part and she goes out and does her best to source it. I found out yesterday that she bought calipers/rotors/pads/struts locally. It is almost to the point where anohter updated inventory needs to be done. Last visit the were piles of car parts in three differents rooms of the shop.

Thanks for the offer Wayne - I will try to find out. Mary is still in Nebraska visiting her Dad for a few days.
tat2dphreak
I hope she got good calipers... local FLAPS stores do not carry the right ones, but they THINK they do...

check them out when you can and hopefully they came from a porsche auto store, locally... if they did, then ouch the price must have hurt... eric shea should have been her source. smile.gif
EdwardBlume
Here is the Shortridge budget as of 10-07-09...
Kansas 914
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 7 2009, 10:43 PM) *

Here is the Shortridge budget as of 10-07-09...

All,

So we can keep the Budget spreadsheet in sync (I made changes since I saw Rob's version) I am attempting to post the sreadsheet to the web. It should allow us to edit and save the changes in realtime.

You should be able to log in to it here:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Av...F5Rnc&hl=en

Let me know if you have problems - this is new to me...
tat2dphreak
thanks man! I couldn't open the document yesterday because work was blocking it. I did view it this morning before work tho

I do have the front wheel bearings.
EdwardBlume
Thanks Mike, I got in it just fine. Looks good.
Kansas 914
UPDATE (THURSDAY 10/08/09): It appears that Mike Lezniak (Dr Evil) is coming to Wichita on Nov 3rd. His residency interview is on the 4th. We will go to Garden City on the 5th to rebuild the transaxle (time permitting) and do a current and complete evaluation of the patient.

I will pick Mike up at the airport and he can stay at my house for the duration.

We should have a dead on parts needed list after that visit. At that point I think we can nail down the budget - schedule the fund raiser and lock down times for the build (February I am thinking).

I need to make sure Mary keeps me informed of all purchases going forward.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 8 2009, 07:09 AM) *

UPDATE (THURSDAY 10/08/09): It appears that Mike Lezniak (Dr Evil) is coming to Wichita on Nov 3rd. His residency interview is on the 4th. We will go to Garden City on the 5th to rebuild the transaxle (time permitting) and do a current and complete evaluation of the patient.

I will pick Mike up at the airport and he can stay at my house for the duration.

We should have a dead on parts needed list after that visit. At that point I think we can nail down the budget - schedule the fund raiser and lock down times for the build (February I am thinking).

This is great news! I wanted to send the doc a pm thanking him for his kindness.

P.S. Just talked with Mike Moorman. Dr. Evil doesn't know about the Angels.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 8 2009, 08:39 AM) *

This is great news! I wanted to send the doc a pm thanking him for his kindness.

Mike's a good guy. Are you thinking of an invite?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 8 2009, 10:20 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 8 2009, 08:39 AM) *

Mike's a good guy. Are you thinking of an invite?

Mike, If your thinking of inviting the Evil one I'm good with it. Dr. Evil is the opposite of Evil.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 8 2009, 03:29 PM) *

Mike, If your thinking of inviting the Evil one I'm good with it. Dr. Evil is the opposite of Evil.

Hi Rick,

I think the invites should be relegated to you, Rob and Wayne. I don't know that many people on the board.
tat2dphreak
I'm down for inviting Dr Evil, Clay or anyone who has real interest in helping. I only know people through the board, really, thom ewing and clay are the only ones who I know personally.

I am looking at Rob and Rick as our leaders, and they can make the call on how and how many invites imo.
rick 918-S
I have met Dr. Evil this year in Hershey and had the pleasure of helping planning an event with him. He was the work horse behind the scenes for the Mid-West Invasion.

I say send him the password. Do you want me to do it?
EdwardBlume
Sure. Bid him.
rick 918-S
Action item completed.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 9 2009, 12:25 AM) *

Action item completed.

I will give him (Dr Evil) access to the budget - I gave Ed the link yesterday.
Dr Evil
"Poof" you rang? wink.gif

Hey fellers, I read through this whole post and have a few thoughts.
1- Thanks for thinking of me and offering me a chance to do more good

2- For parts prices, I have 2 vendors that tend to be cheaper than the larger parts houses (I do not know how), but a for instance is the 1st gear slider listed at $433 that I can get from aircooledtechguy (Nate) for $350. Nate is a solid guy and I would have his back any time.

3- Ed Morrow is a hell of a human being. Again, anytime he would need help I would be there.

4- I do not have to return on the 5th if there is the possibility I can stay over at Mary's to accomplish a rebuild, parts/actions list, and even do some extra work like the brakes or what ever.

5- I think fondly of many of the people here on the board. Many now that I have met, and many I have yet to.

I think that is it for now. I was up late last night (2:30am) getting Matts 1.7 ready for the 10 hr trip to ATL. He tried to let me quit at midnight, but I know how much it meant to him so we plugged on. Time for bed as I ahve a clinic in the morning with a hoard of millions blink.gif
ejm
Hi all, good to be here.

Mary’s project is moving much faster than I would have imagined from the initial thread. It seems she has good people working on the car and she’s motivated to keep the project moving. I agree with Mike about parts purchases going forward. I shudder to think maybe she paid top dollar for KYB’s from a local shop. And the most knowledgeable shop can falter without access to key bits of info. For example, we all know the windshield trim clips need to be replaced before setting the glass but does her shop? I’m available for consultation via phone or email if Mary is amicable to the idea. Basically to listen to what’s going on and offer btdt advice or pitfalls to avoid.
tat2dphreak
I dug up the 2 sets of wheel bearings today(2 inners, 2 outers), I'll get them in the mail to her tomorrow. I also realized I never sent the firewall boot. that will be in the package as well.
tat2dphreak
Just found wheel/rotor seals too! They'll be in the box too
EdwardBlume
Wayne, you are da'man!

Should we start building the fundraiser, call to action post? I feel like I'm sitting on my hands...

tat2dphreak
Should we start building the fundraiser, call to action post? I feel like I'm sitting on my hands...

I feel like that a lot smile.gif you guys are still running circles around me smile.gif
rick 918-S
I'm up for a conference call first. I thnk we need to just mow over what we have done to date and form a new set of action item assignments. My suggestion would be a conversation later in the evening. I'm getting bombed with work calls and reports this week.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 13 2009, 12:08 AM) *

I'm up for a conference call first. I thnk we need to just mow over what we have done to date and form a new set of action item assignments. My suggestion would be a conversation later in the evening. I'm getting bombed with work calls and reports this week.

I agree - let's have another call - we can get so much done quickly on a conference call - plus we have 2 new "angels" to get up to speed. After this call I think we need to get Mary and her mechanic on a call so they understand our intentions and to make sure they don't do too much without our (Ed's) blessing...

Someone pick a time for call #1 - let me know and I will send out an invite to all. I am good anytime this week - but go out of town (on Hawaii Standard time) Sunday for 10 days.
rick 918-S
East coast guys will need to approve but I was thinking like 9:00 pm est?

Or Saturday or Sunday AM would also work.
ejm
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 13 2009, 10:25 AM) *

East coast guys will need to approve but I was thinking like 9:00 pm est?

Or Saturday or Sunday AM would also work.

Nights or Sunday works for me.... Saturday I have plans that take me out of cell range for a good part of the day but will be around in the evening
Kansas 914
Since coordintaing a call is difficult (and takes time to get all onboard - longer as we add people) shouldn't we be proposing a weekly call that occurs same time every week - so one can plan ahead a little - I think participation will be better that way - just a thought...
Dr Evil
I am not a morning person so nights work best for me as well.
rick 918-S
Thanks east coast guy's. How's thursday evening or sunday?

As far as a weekly I think we could set a day of the week but I think we could look at the need as we go.

ie: let's say we set a weekly for thursday night. We have our thursday meeting, set our action items and by wednesday the following week we haven't completed the tasked or no new work is needed.

We could say, check this forum on Wednesday evening to see if the thursday call is a go.

Make sense?
EdwardBlume
I'm a go any time Rick. Lets get all the angels on track, pass out some assignments and move this forward.

Dr Evil
Thurs I will be interviewing until about 4pm. It is a 3-4hr drive for me to return so I can talk while on the road (so long as I can concentrate) wink.gif . What time Thurs? Sun night would be fine with me also.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 13 2009, 03:57 PM) *

Thurs I will be interviewing until about 4pm. It is a 3-4hr drive for me to return so I can talk while on the road (so long as I can concentrate) wink.gif . What time Thurs? Sun night would be fine with me also.

All,

Let's try to have a call this Thursday at 9PM Eastern time. We may not always get 100% attendance - I have found that out in the real world...

I will send out invites.
rick 918-S
I received my invitation. I'm in. Lets go over the notes in the New action items forum during our teleconference.

I received a nice email from Mary today.

Also, I googled cwleveck from Salem, Or that posted in Mary's thread about having a medical issue and wanting to donate parts. I came up with a car audio web page where he had 4 posts. In one of the posts he mentioned he has a 914. I am going to give him a welcome. I was thinking he may be a troll since this was his first post on the site.
tat2dphreak
the timing works fine with me. I'll try not to snooze past this one biggrin.gif

Kansas 914
Conference Call Data

9PM Eastern

Please Call Dial-in Number: 1 (218) 486-1600
The Participant Access Code is: 124424#
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.