Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whatzit ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
Hey guys...what is this? I'm guessing it's a sending unit for my oil temp., oil pressure or both? Also, since my VDO temp. gauge only goes to 300ยบ is it safe to assume it's oil temp. and not head temp?

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
Oil pressure gage sender, and idiot light sender. NOT oil temp.
This type of sender allow the use of a pressure gage and retains the function of the idiot light. otherwise you would have to choose gage or light. it uses a remote hose because it is too big to fit in the tin under the dizzy. Oil temp is on the bottom of the engine block, and the sender looks like a short fat stubby dipstick.

Zach
charliew
probably both but wait for a positive conformation. Usually two connectors are for dual purpose.

Ah Zach beat me to it with a positive answer.
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 5 2009, 11:00 AM) *

Oil pressure gage sender, and idiot light sender. NOT oil temp. Oil temp is on the bottom of the engine block, and the sender looks like a short fat stubby dipstick.

Zach

agree.gif

KP
kenshapiro2002
Thanks gentlemen. What about my extra question about my temp. gauge?
Cupomeat
Correct in your assumption. The normal temp gages are Oil, not Cylinder Head temp.

hey, anyone know where to get that sender holder? I need one.

BTW, no luck on the thottle stop. I'll try my second option.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Oct 5 2009, 11:26 AM) *

Thanks gentlemen. What about my extra question about my temp. gauge?

Sorry, Ken, I did not see it earlier.

The VDO gauge that you are talking about is oil temp.

The VDO CHT gauge does not have numbers, IIRC. Just a sweep with a red zone. it also is not stock on our cars... I *THINK*

I could be wrong though, I use a non VDO CHT, and it has been a while since I have seen one.

The console gauges are usually Clock, Oil Temp, and Voltage.

Zach
Rod
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Oct 5 2009, 05:31 PM) *

Ditto, I like that. I had to make up a bracket and it looks a bit Heath Robinson..
kenshapiro2002
Thanks,
Ken

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Oct 5 2009, 12:31 PM) *

Correct in your assumption. The normal temp gages are Oil, not Cylinder Head temp.

BTW, no luck on the thottle stop. I'll try my second option.

kenshapiro2002
Hey...that was uncalled for! lol-2.gif

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 5 2009, 12:00 PM) *

Oil pressure gage sender, and idiot light sender. NOT oil temp.
This type of sender allow the use of a pressure gage and retains the function of the idiot light. otherwise you would have to choose gage or light. it uses a remote hose because it is too big to fit in the tin under the dizzy. Oil temp is on the bottom of the engine block, and the owner looks like a short fat stubby dipstick.

Zach

kenshapiro2002
And furthermore...my third VDO is an amp gauge. How is that different from a voltmeter and how much should I care about keeping it?
charliew
All the amps used in the complete circuit go through a amps gauge where a volts gauge just shows voltage and the connections don't get as hot because everything is not going through the gauge. The volts gauge is just a seperate leg of the whole circuit.
SLITS
That holder is nothing but a pipe / conduit clamp. Used to hold pipe/conduit against a beam for overhead piping or where ever. Should be available at any hardware store ............
marks914
That is the oil prrssure sender for your gauge and your idiot lamp.
Your oil temp sender is on the bottom of the engine in the "taco plate"
if you need to change the sender or gauge, the must match. A CHT gauge is somethibng different, aftermarket as well, the VDO CHT gauges have a sender that goes under a spark plug.
any questions feel free to ask. Or if you need anything let me know my company is a VDO distributor.
Mark
kenshapiro2002
Have no idea what you just said, but I also know that's my fault...I'm pretty much electro-moronic. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(charliew @ Oct 5 2009, 02:15 PM) *

All the amps used in the complete circuit go through a amps gauge where a volts gauge just shows voltage and the connections don't get as hot because everything is not going through the gauge. The volts gauge is just a seperate leg of the whole circuit.

kenshapiro2002
Hey...don't go putting down my gauge...it's very stylish! sad.gif

QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 5 2009, 02:34 PM) *

That holder is nothing but a pipe / conduit clamp. Used to hold pipe/conduit against a beam for overhead piping or where ever. Should be available at any hardware store ............

kenshapiro2002
OK...what's a "taco plate" (the plate that contains the drain plug?)?
What's a CHT gauge (my amp gauge?)?

QUOTE(marks914 @ Oct 5 2009, 02:50 PM) *

if you need to change the sender or gauge, the must match. A CHT gauge is somethibng different, aftermarket as well, the VDO CHT gauges have a sender that goes under a spark plug.
any questions feel free to ask. Or if you need anything let me know my company is a VDO distributor.
Mark

Cupomeat
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Oct 5 2009, 03:14 PM) *

I am sure he meant, "Any, extremely high end and STYLISH hardware store"
biggrin.gif
Cupomeat
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Oct 5 2009, 03:16 PM) *

Mark

"Taco Plate" is the plate that sits at the bottom of the case, right below where the dipstick goes down. It is called a "TACO" plate, apparently because it will fold when over tightened. The drain plug is next too the oil strainer plate, which is in the middle of the case, not the same thing.

The CHT stands for Cylinder Head Temperature gage and is always aftermarket. Usually the sender is a ring that goes around a spark plug base and gets crushed down when tightening the spark plug.

I hope that help!

Eric
kenshapiro2002
Depot de la Home'

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Oct 5 2009, 03:18 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Oct 5 2009, 03:14 PM) *

I am sure he meant, "Any, extremely high end and STYLISH hardware store"
biggrin.gif

kenshapiro2002
Helps a lot! So...can I dump the amp gauge? Is it relatively unimportant?

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Oct 5 2009, 03:21 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Oct 5 2009, 03:16 PM) *

Mark

"Taco Plate" is the plate that sits at the bottom of the case, right below where the dipstick goes down. It is called a "TACO" plate, apparently because it will fold when over tightened. The drain plug is next too the oil strainer plate, which is in the middle of the case, not the same thing.

The CHT stands for Cylinder Head Temperature gage and is always aftermarket. Usually the sender is a ring that goes around a spark plug base and gets crushed down when tightening the spark plug.

I hope that help!

Eric

SLITS
If you want to know what your alternator is doing, you have three choices: 1.) Amp guage 2.) Volt guage 3.) Idiot light ....

Amps tells the load on / condition of the alternator. Volts just tells you it working. You can have volts with minimal amps. Keep the Amp guage.

The idiot light is fun to look at, but not when it lights up while you're driving. It's a case of nothing said means there is no worries.
charliew
Amps gauges were ok till cars started using more than 30 amps in a single circuit which is what older cars used. It's really hard on connections when a car is using 60 amps to keep the connections good because of heat, I'm pretty sure thats why newer stuff went to volts gauges. When the alternator is working and after starting a volt meter will usually show above 13 volts if the alt is ok. If it's not it will show only 12 volts or less. When ac is on and a newer car is running radiator fans, a blower motor and the other normal stuff it will be using 50 amps or more which is a lot to run through a gauge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.