Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pics wanted - fresh air vent covered in cowl area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
I'm thinking of cutting out the fresh air vent in the cowl area, between the windshield and the front trunk, and welding in a flat piece of metal. I would like some pictures if anyone else might have done this. I've removed all of the underdash blowers, hoses and vents.

-- Rob
r_towle
looks wise I suppose it would look nice and smooth.
Venting wise...I would not.
I like having the gas fumes to have an easy escape from the front trunk...
I have seen a simple flat tray made from aluminum put under there with two drain holes.
I used mine to vent the oil cooler...its a natural low pressure zone.

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Oct 6 2009, 04:20 AM) *

I'm thinking of cutting out the fresh air vent in the cowl area, between the windshield and the front trunk, and welding in a flat piece of metal. I would like some pictures if anyone else might done this. I've removed all of the underdash blowers, hoses and vents.

I think Trekkor did that on his white car.

idea.gif Andy
jhadler
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 6 2009, 12:34 PM) *

?? The fresh air vent at the base of the windshield? That's a high pressure zone. Unless you've chopped the windscreen...

-Josh2
dakotaewing
Here you go -
Rand
I have seen a simple flat tray made from aluminum put under there with two drain holes.

I think JoeO/Series9 did that
Rand
QUOTE(jhadler @ Oct 6 2009, 01:41 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 6 2009, 12:34 PM) *

?? The fresh air vent at the base of the windshield? That's a high pressure zone. Unless you've chopped the windscreen...

-Josh2

agree.gif
That's the fresh air INtake, high pressure area.
neil30076
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 6 2009, 02:22 PM) *

agree.gif

If you go fast enough in reverse its a low pressure area! lol-2.gif
dakotaewing
Here's another car -
Sleepin
QUOTE(neil30076 @ Oct 6 2009, 03:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 6 2009, 02:22 PM) *

agree.gif

If you go fast enough in reverse its a low pressure area! lol-2.gif

Unless you pressurize the cabin. IPB Image
carr914
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Oct 6 2009, 05:04 PM) *

Here's another car -

Damn, that's a good looking car.

T.C.
watsonrx13
Thanks guys, these pics have definately convinced me to remove it. Great looking car.

-- Rob
KevinP
Hey Rob,

this is a little OT but,...can you tell me. There is small vent on the early model cars that is located centered on the dash top, if you look on the back side it doesn't appear to be connected to anything. It looks as if it is open to the underside area of trunk shelf where the wiper motor is. What gives here!!

Can anyone tell me why this is? Or am I missing a hookup or something...

thanks, in advance. Sorry for hijack Rob but since your on the near subject of this vent area I had to ask.

BTW, are we getting closer to a Tampa Bay Breakfest?

KP
kenshapiro2002
I love the lack of chrome. I;m guessing he simpky painted the vent window trim, but what about the windshield?

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Oct 6 2009, 06:04 PM) *

Here's another car -

Rand
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Oct 7 2009, 09:50 AM) *

I love the lack of chrome. I;m guessing he simpky painted the vent window trim, but what about the windshield?

Rubber windshield seal. Special glass paint around windshield edge like modern cars. I love that look so much better than shiny trim.
kenshapiro2002
If it's a rubber windshield seal (who sells them?), why would you need "special glass paint" around the windshield edge? What do you think he painted the chrome trim with around the side glass?

QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 7 2009, 12:55 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Oct 7 2009, 09:50 AM) *

Rubber windshield seal. Special glass paint around windshield edge like modern cars. I love that look so much better than shiny trim.

SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Oct 7 2009, 08:58 AM) *

If it's a rubber windshield seal (who sells them?), why would you need "special glass paint" around the windshield edge?

So you don't see the ugly ass gap between the pillar trim pieces and the pillar itself. The black paint all around masks all those imperfections as they are very obvious.

The glass guy who i bought my new windshield from had the black rubber trim and the special paint that goes on the glass. And he even installed it for me.
shades.gif Andy

Tim, the glass guy, installing the windshield. The trim edges were taped down overnight to make sure they don't separate from the car while the goo is hardening.

IPB Image

IPB Image
kenshapiro2002
Nope...lost a little. What pillar trim pieces? It looks like you have a complete rubber seal...like the old "Cal Look" ones they put on Beetles. I can almost understand painting the frame insides so that no color shows through between the seat and the pillar, but where is he putting paint on the glass itself? Sorry...just not grasping this.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 7 2009, 01:20 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Oct 7 2009, 08:58 AM) *

If it's a rubber windshield seal (who sells them?), why would you need "special glass paint" around the windshield edge?

So you don't see the ugly ass gap between the pillar trim pieces and the pillar itself. The black paint all around masks all those imperfections as they are very obvious.

The glass guy who i bought my new windshield from had the black rubber trim and the special paint that goes on the glass. And he even installed it for me.
shades.gif Andy

Tim, the glass guy, installing the windshield. The trim edges were taped down overnight to make sure they don't separate from the car while the goo is hardening.

IPB Image

IPB Image

SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Oct 7 2009, 09:55 AM) *

Sorry...just not grasping this.

Three parts.

1 - New windshield
2 - Rubber trim that goes on the outside
3 - Black paint that goes on the inside of the windshield

The rubber trim is only about 3/4" wide and it does not overlap with the window much.
When you look at your windshield from the outside, you can see the "ugly" side of your vinyl trim pieces that are inside the car.
That's why you black out ~2" of the windshield all around with paint to "mask" all those ugly seams that otherwise would be very visible.

In my first pic, you can clearly see the black border painted all around the inside of the windshield. No rubber trim installed yet.
In the second pic, the rubber trim is installed.

Most modern cars have blacked out borders on their windshields from the factory, on our old cars you have to paint it yourself.
The paint is a special self-etching glass paint.

shades.gif Andy
kenshapiro2002
Perfectly clear now...thanks! The rubber doesn't actually fit around the glass at all, right (like the old VW seals for example)? It really is just trim. Gotcha. Is the rubber anything "specific" to a 914 or just a standard thing?
SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Oct 7 2009, 10:52 AM) *

Is the rubber anything "specific" to a 914 or just a standard thing?

Generic. I actually made mine a two-piece as the bend on the lower corners is too much and the trim will eventually buckle there.

I cut the trim so now the lower part across the cowl is a separate piece that meets the top U-shaped piece in the lower corners.

That worked out pretty well ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy

VaccaRabite
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Oct 7 2009, 01:52 PM) *

Perfectly clear now...thanks! The rubber doesn't actually fit around the glass at all, right (like the old VW seals for example)

Depends on the trim piece.
On the trim that I used, it DID fit around the windshield and required installation prior to glass being put in the car.

It is not a loop though. it is a cut to fit piece. I think mine was 1/2 inch not 3/4, and the join is at the bottom. There is a guy online here that sells a kit that has the glue, frit paint, and trim. Look in the Member Vendor section for it. it is a very nice looking upgrade, and is easier to install then the chrome.

Zach

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.