Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any interest in an ECC?, East Coast Classic
Part Pricer
post Jul 10 2004, 06:45 AM
Post #1

Believe everything I post

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 35

I’ve been mulling over some ideas for a potential East Coast Classic event in 2005. I’m pretty sure I know what the answer will be, but I figured I’d ask anyway.

Is there any interest in holding an East Coast Classic?

If you say “Yes”, offer up your suggested time and place. If there is enough interest, we can then hold a rigged-election and choose Rich Herzog to organize everything. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
william harris
post Jul 10 2004, 07:31 AM
Post #2

914 Restorer

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,539

Oh hell yeah. We can't let the West Coast have all the fun. The event should be near a track that would be available. Lime Rock or NHIS come to mind. We should check for PCA, SCCA, etc. events to make sure they don't conflict. Since I hope most members are also PCA members, perhaps we could hijack a local PCA autocross or driver's ed event and join in masse. Let the PCA guys organize and we just arrive and drive. Well, my two cents worth. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
djm914-6
post Jul 10 2004, 07:32 AM
Post #3

Happiness is: Getting on the road

Member No.: 248
Region Association: None

I vote for Rich too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

My vote is way North in Maine. The Camden area is very scenic with lots of Porsche roads. And if things get out of hand, Thomaston is only a few minutes away (Maine State Prison). There's also the Owls Head Transportation Museum that I'm sure would be interested in us. Time? Late summer, early Fall.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jul 10 2004, 08:00 AM
Post #4

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

I'm up for it! I've been looking for an excuse to add some of the Northeast states to my list of "Been Theres"
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 10 2004, 08:02 AM
Post #5

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

...and how long did you think this thread would run before i saw that :-) ...

i can MAYBE see doing something in the future. i said once upon a time i'd help with an ECR. i don't know that we need two 'big' gatherings a year and i don't know that i want to inject myself into a political struggle at this point... that's a topic for future discussion ...

you want Maine, you go talk to Joan. she can probably even find the time more easily than i can. as the ECR has traditionally had a "NorthEast" flavor perhaps that's a venue you can discuss with the organisers of that event...

anything i do will be in the Mid-Atlantic region first. (i.e. - no farther north than Pennsylvania.) past that, i don't yet know the regional geography well enough to know what kind of facilities and venues exist between Philadelphia and oh - arbitrarily - Charlotte.

i can tell you now that 2005 will be difficult. i expect to continue my commitment to edit the Region PCA newsletter through 2005. the 50th Porsche Parade will be held in my back yard (Hershey) in July and as the chairman of the Goodie Store is a friend and member of my Region, i hope to be working on lots of airbrush paintings to be placed and sold there. plus who knows how much other Parade-oriented stuff i'll get sucked into...

organising and promoting the 2002 event in did in Reno was enough work when i was unemployed. there are simply not enough hours in the day for me to take on that responsibility right now, what with the day job, the PCA responsibilities, the household responsibilities, trying to advance the airbrush art business, and keeping the 911 running.

i'm happy to "consult" in '05 - but we'll all be happier if i say now that i just can't be the main guy. talk to me again for '06.

in the immortal words of Harry Callahan: "A man's gotta know his limitations." learning mine have come at great expense, and involve experiences i do not care to repeat.
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Jul 10 2004, 08:39 AM
Post #6

OK, so Rich is in... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes or cause any political conflicts. I believe that any Classic can peacefully coexist with any Ramble or Wramble. And you're right, to me the ECR is more of a NorthEast event.

As far as a NorthEast event, I was thinking a little further South. Hopefully a location that would allow people from the NorthEast, Mid-Atlantic and SouthEast to attend. Wouldn't we all like to see Qarl's car?

One of my thoughts was to piggy-back off of Parade. The venue and organization has already been done. And, Hershey is pretty centrally located on the East Coast. However, I think that would be more like the 914Club descending upon Parade and not have a unique identity like a stand-alone ECC.

Anyone else have comments?
+Quote Post
djm914-6
post Jul 10 2004, 08:58 AM
Post #7

Happiness is: Getting on the road

Member No.: 248

That's cool too. I WILL be at the parade... even if it kills me. But, I won't have the Porsche. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) This event will become a week plus long family vacation. Can you imagine driving 7 hours with the wife and two kids in a 914? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) I'm working on a Condo deal now, but I suppose I could give in to the kids plees of camping. If there is any sort of 914Club thing, I'll be there.

I was only kidding Rich! I know you'll be busy with the Parade stuff.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 10 2004, 09:15 AM
Post #8

rich herzog

QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Jul 10 2004, 06:39 AM)
Wouldn't we all like to see Qarl's car?

One of my thoughts was to piggy-back off of Parade. ... However, I think that would be more like the 914Club descending upon Parade and not have a unique identity like a stand-alone ECC.

yes, and there are several interesting cars in the Mid-Atlantic area - RonSC has that 3,6 that i'd love to see ...

who knows - we might be able to pursuade a 916 up from Florida - but i think getting it to ME would be a huge coup ...

Parade is doing a "featured SIG" thing, and the 914 SIG is the 'featured subspecies' at this year's Parade. next year it "should" be a different model, if they can get another SIG interested. but the planets are just not aligned right for another 914-oriented subgathering.
+Quote Post
ejm
post Jul 10 2004, 10:48 AM
Post #9

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Member No.: 224

Did someone say a CLASSIC event? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) I'm there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Jul 10 2004, 10:57 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(ejm @ Jul 10 2004, 11:48 AM)
Did someone say a CLASSIC event? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) I'm there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

Aren't you turning into the Classic addict?

Next we’ll know, Ed will have quit his job and will be wearing tie-dye clothes driving his 914 from town-to-town following the circuit.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 10 2004, 01:02 PM
Post #11

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif),---} (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alien_2.gif),---} (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif),---} (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
JohnB
post Jul 10 2004, 01:58 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 794

I think some of us Mid-Atlantic/DC area folks would be very interested, particulary if it could be structured around the Parade.

Driving to Maine would not be my favorite. As much as I'd love to see your lovely state I'm just not interested in driving that far in a 914. Delaware has the beach areas if anyone's interested in combining a family trip with a 914 gathering. And it's fairly close to the Parade activities (within a couple of hours, I think). Airports for those flying in are fairly convenient (BWI, Philly, Newark, etc) to most of the PA or Delaware locations.

Gotta keep the spouses happy, too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

But what do I know. Those lucky guys in California didn't have to put up with our much more humid summer weather. And it's easier to crank up the heat than get rid of it in a 914 so an early summer or early fall meet might be best.

john
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 10 2004, 02:12 PM
Post #13

rich herzog

QUOTE(JohnB @ Jul 10 2004, 11:58 AM)
...an early summer or early fall meet might be best. ...

any Parade takes a week by itself, plus travel time - trying to tack another multi-day activity onto that is just hard to manage. the 2005 Parade is the last week of June, pretty much terminating at 4th of July. that's pretty close to 'midsummer.'

i think a time nearer the end of summer - before the schools re-open - might be the hot -- ahh -- cool setup. i suppose you could try for late spring but my guess is that too much attention will be focused on preparing for the Parade... (certainly mine will be...)

there is a big Vintage Race event at Lime Rock (CT) each Labor Day weekend - perhaps there's potential for coordinating something with that... i expect to be at this year's event - on business, i hope - and perhaps we can discuss some concepts and scope the venue ...
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Jul 10 2004, 04:57 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

For all you Yankees out there, wheres the love for the south. How about some where in NC or Georgia. Maybe he Atlanta area. Greast roads up in northern GA, Road atlanta is just north of the city. Maybe Carolina Motorports park.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 10 2004, 05:06 PM
Post #15

rich herzog

QUOTE(Brett W @ Jul 10 2004, 02:57 PM)
For all you Yankees out there, wheres the love for the south.

i think it'd be good for an East-Coast event to wander the extent of the coast, more south one year, more north another, somewhere in the middle another.

right now, most of the people with prior experience organising similar events are north of the Mason-Dixon line, but that doesn't disqualify any area IMO. but i do recommend the organizers be geographically close to the event site.

if someone's volunteering to organize an event in the southeast, by all means go for it !
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 10 2004, 05:29 PM
Post #16

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

We should have a NECC for you north of the Mason Dixon and a SCCC for us south.

I vote for N Ga., Lake Lanier, Road Atlanta and we go see Jake!!

Paul
+Quote Post
TimT
post Jul 10 2004, 05:48 PM
Post #17

retired

Member No.: 313

The event should be near a track that would be available. Lime Rock or NHIS come to mind.

I vote for Summit Point, or CMP.. they are equidistant for the rebels and the yanks, Summit Point is a great track... the surrounding area is steeped in Civil War history

Antietam, Harpers Ferry... etc...

I havent made it to CMP yet, but when I put my ear on the rail I hear good things about it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 10 2004, 05:57 PM
Post #18

rich herzog

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 10 2004, 03:29 PM)
We should have a NECC for you north of the Mason Dixon and a SCCC for us south.

i don't think it's a good idea to have too many splintered events. otherwise, i could just hold the 'greater Schoolhouse Road Classic' in my driveway and party with myself when i want. i continue to believe that there should be - at most - one BIG event in each region (West, Central, East) a year, and that it should roam north-to-south within that region on some kind of approximately regular schedule.

in re fixed circuits - i think the new Shenandoah Circuit at Summit will be available - especially for midweek events - for a while until it gets popular. i think that the Jefferson Circuit at Summit might be better for our group (wide variety of experiences...) than Summit or VIR ...

i was set to travel to Daytona for the RennSport Reunion but logistics got in the way. i went to VT last year for the ECR, and i'm planning to go to MA this year (and MI for the MWC...). people will travel to a suitably significant event.

the Speedster people just finished up a weeklong event in the Monterey/Pebble Beach area. it was 3 years in the making and drew HUNDREDS of Speedsters from all over the world.
+Quote Post
Howard
post Jul 10 2004, 06:01 PM
Post #19

Incontin(g)ent Member

Member No.: 943

Do fall colors and I'll bet you get some western types.
+Quote Post
TimT
post Jul 10 2004, 06:08 PM
Post #20

retired

Member No.: 313

Do fall colors and I'll bet you get some western types.

Lime Rock wins this requirement hands down...

NHIS is nestled in the White Mountains....the whole of Lime Rock is nestled in the lil valley... its really beautiful... and around columbus day... them maples are on fire!!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 02:48 PM