Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What are higher powered 914s like?, I've never had the chance to drive one.
anthony
post May 15 2003, 02:46 PM
Post #1

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

Like every 914 owner I've been thinking I want more power. You know, I'd like to at least be able to smoke a Mini Cooper S or a Honda Civic Si without breaking a sweat.

I've been collecting parts to build a 2056 2L engine. I keep wondering if it's worth it.

Or, will I still want more hp in the end?

What kind of horsepower does it take to make a 914 into a 0-60 8 second car (Civic Si), a 7 second car (Mini S), or a 6 second car (S2000)???

TIA
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post May 15 2003, 02:56 PM
Post #2

Irrelevant old fart

Group: Members
Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

Wanna "do" an S2000?
Forget about a 4 pooper. You're gonna need one of these. "Around" 200 hp.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jeff Krieger
post May 15 2003, 03:30 PM
Post #3

Unregistered

Couldn't you just cheat and install nitrous? BTW, according to Car & Driver, the '73 2.0 was an 8.6 second car.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/pix/image1jjjj.jpg)
+Quote Post
cha914
post May 15 2003, 03:31 PM
Post #4

MUSR 8 - 5lug conversion done wed - drive 500miles thrus

Member No.: 63

I have a 2056 w/130hp to the flywheel...I think its a blast, and I could probably take most rice rockets, but I really don't drive it on the street much so I can't help you there...

You will probably need about 150hp to really wax most things on the road and I have ridden in a 2.7/6 and it was scary fast ~200hp like JP's above...

I think the 2056 really livened the car up, but its still not *fast* by any means...however, its fun to watch those Mustangs fall waaay back once you hit a fast sweeper ;P

Tony
+Quote Post
Ferg
post May 15 2003, 03:32 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Having just moved from a 2.0 four to a 2.7 six I can say I am much happier with 180ish hp vrs 100hp. I would say 200 is the magic number when you start talking dollars for conversion cost as well. This is assuming a porsche power plant. My car is above my driving abilities, but i'm not gonna be accepting any stoplight challenges from a neon SRT any time soon. But if I had to guess I would say it's a 7 second 0-60mph car. Ferg.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post May 15 2003, 03:52 PM
Post #6

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I recently got a ride in an ~1800lb open cockpit 914 race car with a 3.8RSR high-compression twin-plugged open-piped Motec race motor and 12x18" slicks.

HOLY SHIT, is all I can think to say....
+Quote Post
Don Wohlfarth
post May 15 2003, 04:27 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 117

Anthony, it may be cheaper to buy a S2000 instead of modifying your 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
I still have my first 914 which I bought because it was an original 6. I mistakenly replaced the motor with a 2.7RS motor with ~220hp. Since it was an orginal 6 I didn't want to install flares foolishly thinking that one day it would be worth some money (what was I thinking?). I upgraded the brakes and suspension but I can only run 205 tires. The car will spin rear tires anywhere in 1st gear, almost anywhere in 2nd, and real nice chirp going into 3rd. Car has a limited slip. Make sure you have the wheels pointed straight before you nail it. Car is crying for more tire.
Yeah, the car is fun to drive...for about 15 minutes. It's strictly a street car and I drive it less than 200 miles (not a typo) a year.
Before you guys start on me I also have a semi tube 914 with 2.8 race car that takes entirely too much of my time and a SC with a short stroke 3.2 as a daily driver.
It will be difficult to get much more than 160 hp out of a reliable 4 and you're still going to be 50-60hp short. Taking advantage of every deal you can find I don't think you could do a 6 conversion making the kind of power you'd need for 15K including motor, suspension, brakes, and wheels and tires.
Rebuild your 4 and lower your expectations. BTDT
+Quote Post
anthony
post May 15 2003, 04:36 PM
Post #8

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

I hear ya Don. A low mileage 180hp 911 SC for around $12K looks more and more like the cheapest way to get more air-cooled Porsche power.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post May 15 2003, 04:42 PM
Post #9

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219

v-8 sleeper? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

ive seen a rotary powered teener- quick stuff! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Blynes
post May 15 2003, 04:55 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 169

I don't know how much power my car has exactly my guess 175 -185. 2.4 big bore kit and webers.

Street legal race car - a blast.

My buddy has a turbo Miata with 245HP at the rear wheels and we run pretty close at Roebling Road.

My advice get a six.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post May 15 2003, 04:57 PM
Post #11

Professional Lawn Dart

whadda bout a turbo? didnt someone on this list have a turbo teener (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post May 15 2003, 04:58 PM
Post #12

Professional Lawn Dart

was it turboshyu?
+Quote Post
krk
post May 15 2003, 05:02 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 22

QUOTE(campbellcj @ May 15 2003, 01:52 PM)
I recently got a ride in an ~1800lb open cockpit 914 race car with a 3.8RSR high-compression twin-plugged open-piped Motec race motor and 12x18" slicks.

HOLY SHIT, is all I can think to say....

Man, I can believe that. I'm curious to hear your thoughs on the comparison between your current ride (which I think we've all been enjoying hearing about, btw), and the open car. Fer instance, did it still feel "914-like" at all? Or is it so much a race car that it could have been "any excellent quallity race car"? (I'm not putting this very well, but hopefully you get the idea (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )

It had to be a blast! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

kim.
+Quote Post
krk
post May 15 2003, 05:22 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 22

QUOTE(Don Wohlfarth @ May 15 2003, 02:27 PM)
Anthony, it may be cheaper to buy a S2000 instead of modifying your 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
I still have my first 914 which I bought because it was an original 6. I mistakenly replaced the motor with a 2.7RS motor with ~220hp. Since it was an orginal 6 I didn't want to install flares foolishly thinking that one day it would be worth some money (what was I thinking?). I upgraded the brakes and suspension but I can only run 205 tires. The car will spin rear tires anywhere in 1st gear, almost anywhere in 2nd, and real nice chirp going into 3rd. Car has a limited slip. Make sure you have the wheels pointed straight before you nail it. Car is crying for more tire.
Yeah, the car is fun to drive...for about 15 minutes. It's strictly a street car and I drive it less than 200 miles (not a typo) a year.

Don,

A couple of question from an original /6 owher considering engine options:

1. You say "mistakenly". Can you elaboate a little? Was the mistake that you swapped out the 2.0 at all, or the decision not to go with flares?

2. It's fun for 15 min? What causes it to be "not fun" at minute 16? (and yeh, I get that 911 based fun cars are more comfy in some ways -- my "other" car is an early turbo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )

It's funny, but the fun-est 914 I've had was a gt flared 73. It needed a little more umph, but the handling was wonderful. (it's not that the /6 isn't fun -- it just needs a bit more room to be fun - the '73 was fun on the way to the grocery store)

kim.
+Quote Post
joea9146
post May 15 2003, 05:30 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 283

unfortunately most people are addicted to power.
Most gear heads want more power .... need more power.
I would say skip the 2056 go right to a stock 3.0
loads of torque and more power than you would
ever need for the street. I am not a drag / street racer
but it just comes with the territory once you get
into the 175/200 hp range.
The car really pulls get it up on the freeway and it just
wants to keep going.
Even JP who first started with a 2.4 / 6 craved more power
and built himself a nice hotrod 2.7 motor.
Although I hear he is now looking for a 3.6 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 15 2003, 06:13 PM
Post #16

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

1st off, you shouldn't have too much trouble beating an S2000 off the line, they have no torque and unless the owner is willing to sacrifice his clutch, you'll be fine.

I've driven at least once a 914 with the following combo:
/4 2.0
/4 2.6
stock /6 2.0,
/6 2.2S,
/6 2.5 (short stroke)
/6 3.0

/8 350CI

I liked the /6 3.0 the best, in fact this was in Scott Yeamans orignal /6...this car could be driven daily and abused all day long with great pleasure (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)

He is still running 205's and I see no problem with tires that size as long as you have decent tires and somewhat know how to drive.

I hope i like my turbo'd /4 once it's finished...if not, not sure what I'll do...
+Quote Post
TimT
post May 15 2003, 06:34 PM
Post #17

retired

Member No.: 313

I have a 3.2/6 in my 914, Web cam 20-21's 10.5:1 cr
Webers and tall manifolds..headers, supercraps, or megaphones.

The car gives major wood when drving

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post May 15 2003, 06:36 PM
Post #18

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

Tim, how does it compare to your 911 in terms of handling and grins?
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post May 15 2003, 07:21 PM
Post #19

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

QUOTE(krk @ May 15 2003, 04:02 PM)
Man, I can believe that. I'm curious to hear your thoughs on the comparison between your current ride (which I think we've all been enjoying hearing about, btw), and the open car. Fer instance, did it still feel "914-like" at all? Or is it so much a race car that it could have been "any excellent quallity race car"? (I'm not putting this very well, but hopefully you get the idea (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )

I haven't driven that car or anything similar myself (yet) but there is little similarity between it and mine. It is a factory 914-6 tub, not a tube-frame car like Brad's silver one, but the engine, suspension, brakes, trans, fuel system, oil system, ignition, electricals, and body are extremely non-stock and in some cases fairly exotic.

My car on the other hand is basically a warmed-over clone of an original 914-6, more or less. I've actually only driven my car twice since the six conversion began, so I don't have much impression of that either, yet.

A lot of this is driver skill/experience, but the two cars when driven by their owners are about 11 seconds apart in lap times at our local short road course. That's an eternity in race track terms. At an average speed of (only) 60mph, the gap between the two cars would be 962.5 feet PER LAP, if I did my math right.
+Quote Post
mskala
post May 15 2003, 07:50 PM
Post #20

R

Member No.: 79

You shouldn't be using 0-60 numbers to compare
cars' performance. If you did that the 935 would
look like a dog. Sometimes the raw numbers aren't
going to show you that in one car you had to shift
into 3rd at 59mph or something. Or that one car
has a shifter you can bang around vs. the 914
where it pays to wait a while.
Mark S.
'70 914-6
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 03:08 PM