Entries on Monday 18th March 2013
I finally took the plunge back in January. I've always wanted to replace the Vellios side shift unit in my 915 transmission.
Martin has had his 916 kit out for a couple of years now, so I figured it's now or never to buy and install it.
It finally arrived today. In a couple of month's I'll pull the tranny and make the swap. then it'll be a full evaluation as to it's improvement over the Vellios unit.
Entries on Monday 8th October 2012
Entries on Tuesday 11th September 2012
I finally got the parts for the fuel filler neck aligned, fit, and tack welded together for final fitment.
I took a air cleaner cap from a 8hp horizontal Briggs engine and used it to make the rain catch tray that will be welded to he receiver, but sit under the hood.
Another week or to, and the finished filler neck will go off to the powder coater for a shot of semi-gloss black. I also found a stainless steel sink strainer at Lowes for about 4 bucks that I will insert between the filler neck and the gas tank, just to keep crap from falling into the fuel tank due to it now having such a large opening.
Entries on Wednesday 29th August 2012
I got a request to add more pics of the receiver modification.
So, here are some more... Right now the receiver is off at my Tig welder for welding, and the bat handle design is being quoted by my laser shop..
bathandle.pdf ( 321.07k ) Number of downloads: 115
Entries on Sunday 26th August 2012
Got some work done on the cap installation. Scary day as it was time to cut the hole in a perfectly good Getty GT type hood. No going back now
I made a 1/2'' spacer to set it up high enough to go through the hood, but not set to high.
I also removed the original cap flanges from the neck, and that allowed for the setting of the new fuel neck.
I found that the neck from a 67-72 Ford F-series pickup will slide right into the 914 neck very snuggly.
Then I went to the auto parts store and got a STANT locking gas cap to fit the new receiver.
It all fits under the 110mm Blau cap with no clearance issues.
The hardest part today was cringing when I took a jigsaw to my Getty GT hood.
Scared to death I'd ruin it, but it turned out okay.
After the initial hole was cut, I printed out a hole template, taped it to the hood, and slowly opened up the with my Dremel. I used the barrel sander attachment to get the hole just right w/out ruining the paint. I finished off the hole with a piece of rubber edging to smooth the look.
Next up is welding up the receiver, and lasering out the bat handle for the cap.
bathandle.pdf ( 321.07k ) Number of downloads: 136
Entries on Saturday 18th August 2012
The next project for the rocket will be to convert the Fuel and oil caps over to the Blau 110mm for the fuel, and 80mm cap for the oil tank.
I just received these caps from a fellow over in Europe. The Fuel cap is as received, and is actually polished stainless steel. The oil cap is polished aluminum.
On the fuel side I am going to have the fuel cap go up through the hood, and have a locking gas gap hidden below the Blau cap when it is removed. The Blau gap will be secured with a lanyard to keep it from getting stolen.
On the oil side I'll probably butcher up a 911 oil inlet to mount the cap to.
Both caps will have a handle made to remove them easily.
Entries on Sunday 5th August 2012
Entries on Sunday 8th July 2012
I relocated my ECU, Ignitor, Fuel Pump Relay, and OBDII connection from the engine compartment to the firewall behind my drivers seat..
It was a dumb idea on my part to mount the electronics in the engine compartment in the first place. The recent heat wave has convinced me to relocate them for better longetivity..
Entries on Monday 18th June 2012
Since day 1, I've wanted brass lines on my car to help with the oil cooling, and the safety and piece of mind that the brass lines would never wear out like the hose would.
The problem was always finding a tube fabricator willing to take on a one time job.
After 3 years, I finally found a shop willing to do it, and take a chance with my request.
The bottom tube was first, and was nothing more than a L-shaped piece. The vendor sent me a good looking piece, and I massaged it to it's final shape. more trim, The fit is really good. 1 more trim and it should be ready for permanent duty.
Then it's on to the top tube that I'll have to send him my sample to copy.
Entries on Monday 5th September 2011
Today I decided to add forced air to my brake ducting on the front of my 6.
Recently, I made some manifolds and added some ducting to my front brakes to give some fresh air cooling. Then, I bought a pair of 3'' duct fans to give it some force.
Today, I took the time to make some fiberglass molds for the inlet and outlet.
Then glassed up a 3''inlet on the rear of the spoiler, then put it all together.
I did get one side done today.
Hope everyone has a great Labor Day. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif