Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V8 or Porsche 6
germaneighter
post Feb 1 2007, 05:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,563

OK, Just for grins I thought I'd ask for some opinions….

I want to build either a Porsche 6 conversion or another V8 car. Either way it will probably be a couple years until I can start serious work. (too many other things going on right now….kids, work, house, etc). But I can start sourcing and stock piling the parts now and that, to me, is part of the fun.

I would love to do a big 6 conversion but reality ($$$) dictates it would have to be a smaller displacement, used, non-rebuilt motor. It would have to be an entry level 6 conversion. I think for similar money I could build a 250-300 HP small block V8 car and build the motor, and maybe the trans, the way I want.

I've built a V8 car before but sold it before I worked out all the bugs. I never really got to enjoy it. (Only a few passes up and down the street on trial runs.) I still really like the idea of having a V8 car.

I've owned a few older 911s and love the 6. I've never had a 914-6 and would like to experience that also.

Has anyone done one of each?

Which way to go?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Feb 1 2007, 05:08 PM
Post #2

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(germaneighter @ Feb 1 2007, 06:02 PM) *

OK, Just for grins I thought I'd ask for some opinions….

I want to build either a Porsche 6 conversion or another V8 car. Either way it will probably be a couple years until I can start serious work. (too many other things going on right now….kids, work, house, etc). But I can start sourcing and stock piling the parts now and that, to me, is part of the fun.

I would love to do a big 6 conversion but reality ($$$) dictates it would have to be a smaller displacement, used, non-rebuilt motor. It would have to be an entry level 6 conversion. I think for similar money I could build a 250-300 HP small block V8 car and build the motor, and maybe the trans, the way I want.

I've built a V8 car before but sold it before I worked out all the bugs. I never really got to enjoy it. (Only a few passes up and down the street on trial runs.) I still really like the idea of having a V8 car.

I've owned a few older 911s and love the 6. I've never had a 914-6 and would like to experience that also.

Has anyone done one of each?

Which way to go?

I got another one for you...

Rick 918-S has a 928 "kit" for a 914...think about that option...

Rich
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 1 2007, 05:13 PM
Post #3

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(germaneighter @ Feb 1 2007, 03:02 PM) *

Which way to go?

i'm probably going to catch a lot of fire for this, but here it goes:

the vast majority of V8 conversions i have seen were done "on a budget" just like the one you're contemplating, and they all looked/were crappy, cheap hackjobs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

all the nicer ones were done by people that spent their share of money doing it.

obviously, your car, your choice, but IMHO, life is too short for cheap beer.
same goes for conversion cars. do it right or don't do it ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
'Cause
post Feb 1 2007, 05:15 PM
Post #4

..its all about toyz....

Member No.: 7,446

"Rick 918-S has a 928 "kit" for a 914...think about that option..."

..sorry for the minor HiJACK, would there be a way a 'newbie' could get in touch with him--- got the car cryin' for this option!
+Quote Post
Crazyhippy
post Feb 1 2007, 05:21 PM
Post #5

Insert witty comment here...

Member No.: 4,493
Region Association: None

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 1 2007, 03:13 PM) *

QUOTE(germaneighter @ Feb 1 2007, 03:02 PM) *

Which way to go?

i'm probably going to catch a lot of fire for this, but here it goes:

the vast majority of V8 conversions i have seen were done "on a budget" just like the one you're contemplating, and they all looked/were crappy, cheap hackjobs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

all the nicer ones were done by people that spent their share of money doing it.

obviously, your car, your choice, but IMHO, life is too short for cheap beer.
same goes for conversion cars. do it right or don't do it ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Andy

Damnit, i agree w/ Andy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Next thing you know i'll have a red mohawk, and show up too an event in a fiends minivan..LOL

Dont do a v-8 for cost, do it because it's what you want, and dont cut corners!!! Everytime you do, you will have to fix it eventually.

BJH (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Feb 1 2007, 05:22 PM
Post #6

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166
Region Association: None

How about a third option to consider? A WRX motor. 220 HP out of the box, not too hard to get up to 300. Weighs a lot less than either a V8 or Porsche 6 (even lighter than a type IV actually) easier on transmissions than a V8, and then for even more power there are the STi engines.

-Tony
+Quote Post
Brew
post Feb 1 2007, 06:38 PM
Post #7

That's Captain Moron to you!

Member No.: 4,546

QUOTE('Cause @ Feb 1 2007, 04:15 PM) *

..sorry for the minor HiJACK, would there be a way a 'newbie' could get in touch with him--- got the car cryin' for this option!

Ken,

Click on the "members" tab above, type in "rick 918-S", and you should get his contact info.

And yes, your car would be bitchin w/928 power!
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Feb 1 2007, 06:40 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,782

Building a V8 car takes a lot of time once you get it running. There are so many little things that take time to make the car drivable. If you don't mind driving a car that feels like an old stage coach with 300 hp well then its easy, but if you want something that's comfortable, that takes time and money. I drive my car as if it were a Toyota. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Feb 1 2007, 07:15 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I wanted to do my six conversion right...which takes bucks. So, I found myself (took a long time to find it) a great 911 donor car...spent 1 year parting it out. And now I have a free engine, transmission, electronics, brakes, front end. Now my out-of-pocket costs are only for the oil tank and motor mount. Took time, but it was fun stripping down a complete car and I'm ultimately going to have a very nice 3.2l 914 for very little dollars!
+Quote Post
pffft
post Feb 1 2007, 07:40 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,465

QUOTE(jim912928 @ Feb 1 2007, 05:15 PM) *

I wanted to do my six conversion right...which takes bucks. So, I found myself (took a long time to find it) a great 911 donor car...spent 1 year parting it out. And now I have a free engine, transmission, electronics, brakes, front end. Now my out-of-pocket costs are only for the oil tank and motor mount. Took time, but it was fun stripping down a complete car and I'm ultimately going to have a very nice 3.2l 914 for very little dollars!

Plus tin and hoses and exhaust and linkages and flywheel. It has been my expirience that it is these other bits that really add up on a six.

Not trying to be argumentative at all.
I am stupidly building both a 6 conversion and an 8 at the
same time. Didn't plan it that way it just happened. This is
my second six swap, first 8.

But good v8 stuff aint really cheap either.
If somehow one got a GOOD six cheap and a good 8 for the same price,
I don't think the cost is all that different, especially if it has things like heat.
I have had problems with sixes leaking. If one sits for a while, then starts
getting used, those dried out seals are going to start leaking. Too many
different materials heat cycling at their own paces. Then you end up with
clouds of oil smoke wafting up from the headers or heat exchangers while
sitting at stop lights (never happened to me, I just, umm, read about it)
Resealing a six is harder and more $$ than a v8.
Making a real car out of any old car is going to take time and money, no
matter which engine you swap in.
After you have it "done" the big difference might be replacing that "good" 8
or "good" six when it goes bad. A crate 8 is usually gonna be cheaper.

+Quote Post
'Cause
post Feb 1 2007, 08:10 PM
Post #11

..its all about toyz....

Member No.: 7,446

QUOTE(Brew @ Feb 1 2007, 05:38 PM) *

QUOTE('Cause @ Feb 1 2007, 04:15 PM) *

Ken,
Click on the "members" tab above, type in "rick 918-S", and you should get his contact info.
And yes, your car would be bitchin w/928 power!

Thanks, I went to the PM route, hope to hear back. I kind of like the idea of the 928, ---stayin' Porsche, could be fun--- as far as doing engine swaps, nothing new to me. I will admit, I haven't done one to a 914... a 944 yes, a 351W into a MGB... and couple others.
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Feb 1 2007, 08:13 PM
Post #12

I know I need those other things...of which I already have most including factory heat exchangers. As you well know, you also need hoses, plumbing, radiators, flywheel/clutch/tranny adapter etc for a V8 conversion that also adds up. My point in my post was if one would want to reduce the cost for a six conversion effort..and has the time...one can really do it right without breaking the bank if one finds a good condition donor and parts it out. In my deal, I have a 70k 3.2l engine and all the goodies. My final TOTAL conversion costs (out of pocket) will be about 3k (assuming you don't count the time I spent parting out a car). And in case I ultimately blow up my 901 I have a 915, axles and CV's from the 911 sitting in the wings for a ring and pinion flip and wevo sideshifter!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 1 2007, 08:17 PM
Post #13

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I'm around here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alien.gif) I have some parts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif) At this point I'm not sure their available. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

If I agree with what Sir Andy say's that would mean I think my conversion is better than the average V8. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I think mine is marginal at best. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) It's not my best work. But the car is apart and when it reforms I hope to improve some things I rushed the first time around. I'll tell you one thing. I'll never bring this car to the level of trailer queen. It's built to drive rock chips, dirt and all! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Feb 1 2007, 08:21 PM
Post #14

Rick's 918 is really cool....it rumbles and it's all porsche!
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Feb 1 2007, 08:28 PM
Post #15

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315

Nice thing about a six is they fit right in because they were designed too. Gathering up the parts is the hard thing but installing them is easy.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 1 2007, 08:44 PM
Post #16

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(jim912928 @ Feb 1 2007, 06:21 PM) *

Rick's 918 is really cool....it rumbles and it's all porsche!

Thanks Buddy!

And chappy, the six is ment to bolt in except yours... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) I have goose bumps just thinking about it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Hammy
post Feb 1 2007, 08:54 PM
Post #17

mr. Wonderful

Member No.: 2,978
Region Association: Northern California

Keep it Porsche
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Feb 1 2007, 09:04 PM
Post #18

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315

Ya, But the Alien was truly a ground breaking endeavor, a fabricated act of genius of another world.

My Turbo monster fab up has been pretty straight forward. I would say earthly.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Feb 1 2007, 09:13 PM
Post #19

neo life

Member No.: 159

It's all about what makes you happy. Almost all project cars have blown budgets and are works in progress. Some people enjoy the build more than a completed driver.

Guy Thompson built a great V8 conversion / restoration and didn't get lured into scaling up everything including his budget. He had the facilities and talent to do all the work to keep his financial investment low.

Rick's alien is another example of careful choice of components and ingenuity.

Unless you want to try something different, there are many examples to follow...

+Quote Post
burton73
post Feb 1 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #20

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

To do a low $ 6 or 8 conversion. I believe you will spend less money on the 8. I have had an 8 that I got from the guitar player from Earth Wind and Fire. He had it in his garage and wanted to sell it. It had the motor (283 Chevy) in and just needed to be finished off. It had the parts to do it: The fan, the Aluminum radiator, headers, and water pump. It was a combo of Rod Simpson parts and Kennedy Eng. This was in 1979. The car had 916 fronts and rear with glass flares. I painted it; fan the water lines through the heater ducts, built a shroud, mounted the parts and it all worked. What was cool? The sound the and torque. What was not cool: The heat that poured into the car, the lack of precision in the feel of the car. The Porsche engine gives the car in my option a certain feel as you go through the gears, The Porsche engine is so nice as it revs to red line.. The Chevy does not do it with the stock 901. You do not need 1st.

You can spend big bucks and change a lot of things but it never will have the feeling of a 6 even a lower power 6. A good thing is if you need a new motor you can just get any thing from a junk yard and it will be fine as the car is plenty fast with a stock small block.

If the Porsche engine needs rings or bearings and you need to crack the cases, you are in for some very big bucks. The up side is the 6 conversions will always bring more money for a decent job. I have had both cars and while the 8 can be fun, I would rather visit than own. I have a factory 1970 914-6 today, 1986 Carrera Cabriolet, 2006 Honda Ridgeline, 2007 Lexus GS400h 320 hp Hybrid 0 to 60 in 5.2 sec. (That is a rocket with 4 doors)

Bob

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 05:27 PM