Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pissed off & need advise
zambezi
post Mar 2 2009, 10:48 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,920
Region Association: South East States

I would think making the VIN perforations could be done with some practice and by making a jig with the number layout, but the anti-tamper circular impressions would be harder. Or does the Auto Atlanta stickers already have those?
JIM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tod914
post Mar 2 2009, 10:56 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

The anti-tamper impressions could be made in the texture of the sticker. A good photoshop artist/print decal place should be able
to do that.
+Quote Post
mojorisen914
post Mar 2 2009, 11:54 PM
Post #23

Visit your local strip club

Member No.: 6,403
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Really sorry to hear that TC. The car is NOW worthless; maybe you should sell it to me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

I think a Poll is in order for what should be done about replacing the sticker. This way; if it happens again to someone then most people would be on the same sheet of music for what is an acceptable solution.

A. Replace it with the Porsche replacement sticker
B. Use the one from George (AA)
C. Have a printing shop make an exact replacement
D. Don't even worry about it; no one looks at the thing to start with.

+Quote Post
burton73
post Mar 3 2009, 12:18 AM
Post #24

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

TC.

Very sorry to hear of this. I went over this with my die cutter several weeks ago as I have the same problem on #41 and they can get small round dies to safety cut but can not put them so close together so he says that they put them in a jig one in one hole and not in the next one then they cut it twice. Anyway this will not be easy and the die will cost. I got two stickers from George and it may take several to get it right. These stickers look good but not as good as the factory ones. It is the best that we have.

Tod has an idea in the shadowing of the anti-tamper impressions in the screen-printing? You would need a very good artist.

Bob

+Quote Post
Wilhelm
post Mar 3 2009, 02:29 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 8,088
Region Association: None

Looks like all the numbers are derived from a geometric grid 4 wide and 6 high. Seems like it would be easy enough to make a punch template with 12 grids of 6 high by 4 wide hole patterns arranged side by side with the appropriate spacing. I would take 2 piece of polished 1/4 plate, reference them together and then drill the 288 holes in this simple geometric pattern. When done you put this mylar sticker in between the metal leaves and you can then punch any sequence of numbers you wanted with a tight fitting punch. Wouldn't need a cnc, I could simply do it on a mill with the digital readout. Bet this jig be done built in an hour or two.

All I would need would be the character hole size, the character spacing, the grid size and lastly the reference location of where the numbers are on the sticker.

Tell you what, make a photcopy or two on mylar of one of these stickers and send it to me and we'll see if we can make a punch jig.

If that works we'll put our brains together to create a toy to emboss the beehive pattern all over the sticker.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Mar 3 2009, 03:25 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

The body shop employee might be a candidate for the 2009 Darwin Awards.
Marty
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Mar 3 2009, 08:22 AM
Post #27

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

a check canceling machine should be able to punch the sticker. Several years ago a guy sent me a pic of one our our stickers that he punched and it looked perfect. Too bad I did not get his name!!!

If having to paint the door jambs it is much better to replace the sticker than to tape it off! Tape off looks very messy and would fail the concours inspection.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Mar 3 2009, 08:24 AM
Post #28

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Mar 2 2009, 11:43 PM) *

Oh man I would be absolutely LIVID over this TC, that's inexcusable. I'd have lost my shit if when I found out if I'd been in your place. Ugh. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Well, this is how it went yesterday. I called the owners son, as I wanted his side of the story of why the car is behind schedule (way behind). The car is about to be blasted, so I reminded him about making sure the sticker was protected. He then pulls the phone away and shouts, "Dad, come here T.C. wants to yell at you". I said don't tell me the sticker is gone. The son said yes and I hung up.
I called the owner back a couple of hours later (after I cooled down a little) and asked (was really hoping) "Are you guys Fuching with me?". Nope it was gone, one of his stooges had removed it.

So the next question is; How do you go off on a shop that hasn't finished your car?
And they are contracted to paint my Blue car that is up for COTM. The Blue car is paid for via a trade I made for 2 Tubs and parts.

T.C.

+Quote Post
carr914
post Mar 3 2009, 08:34 AM
Post #29

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

QUOTE(zambezi @ Mar 2 2009, 11:48 PM) *

I would think making the VIN perforations could be done with some practice and by making a jig with the number layout, but the anti-tamper circular impressions would be harder. Or does the Auto Atlanta stickers already have those?
JIM

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 3 2009, 09:22 AM) *

a check canceling machine should be able to punch the sticker. Several years ago a guy sent me a pic of one our our stickers that he punched and it looked perfect. Too bad I did not get his name!!!

If having to paint the door jambs it is much better to replace the sticker than to tape it off! Tape off looks very messy and would fail the concours inspection.

Couple of questions George;

Your replica stickers are smooth and don't have the circular impressions correct? Those seem more of a problem that the perforations.

I understand about the tape-off, but I think that an original sticker with some overspray/mess is much better than a non-original looking sticker, Yes?

T.C.
+Quote Post
MDG
post Mar 3 2009, 08:57 AM
Post #30

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

one thing I'm curious about; the circle pattern on the later stickers are kiss-cut on the face to create that impression. It's basically just scored into the surface.

On the pic of T.C.'s label earlier in the thread it appears those circles have been de-bossed from the back. Is it just a trick of the light or are the circles on the earlier silver labels bumped out? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Replicating the later style can be done; if the earlier ones are in fact de-bossed it could be tough as the repro labels have a peel-off paper backing on them.

m.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Mar 3 2009, 09:24 AM
Post #31

Racer from Birth

I called Brumos and PCNA. The only Vin Compliance stickers that Porsches can supply are the Black ones with the 911 part#. Something to do with Federal Laws & Regulations. Even if they found a stash of the Silver ones in 1 of Ferry Porsches old suit coats, they couldn't use them.

T.C.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Mar 3 2009, 10:23 AM
Post #32

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'm curious about the circular impressions on the sticker. They look to be embossed into the surface of the sticker and the darkened lines are actually shadows and/or dirt accumulated over the years. It is possible that an embossing die could be made to replicate the effect.

I've got over 30 years in the printing biz and have access to vendors who might work with me on this. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

BTW, I can't believe the body shop could be so careless with such an integral element to the restoration. They should be on their knees begging for forgiveness mercy.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
seanery
post Mar 3 2009, 10:31 AM
Post #33

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Hey TC, a vinyl cutter like Z, Mark & I use won't really do it for you. As fragile as that material is, the cutter will most likely rip it. The vinyl we use is made to be under the cutter.

I like George's idea about the check machine. The embossing of the rest could probably be faked by finding an object of the right shape and size and applying some pressure - maybe like a rolling pin. It would take practice and you'll likely go through many stickers before you get it right.

This sucks, sorry it happened to you!
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Mar 3 2009, 10:37 AM
Post #34

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

T.C.,
I think what you need is about 100 letters from us guys here saying how the value of a factory six is destroyed when the VIN#'s are missing...

Give us an address and we can start writing.
+Quote Post
dflesburg
post Mar 3 2009, 10:42 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 1,896

Thats why you dont let other people work on your car.
+Quote Post
charliew
post Mar 3 2009, 11:00 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

I think Wilhelm is on the right track although the time frame on the jig is very optimistic. 288 holes, a cnc would be nice. It seems another two plates shimmed for the desirable thickness with the circular holes to impress the scales could also be done. But the press plates seem complicated to make for a reasonable price. I painted a 72 sb with the sticker and it was really hard to not mess the sticker up. Also the color change means you gotta touch up all the dots showing through for the vin. Not easy. Also it's really hard to not de-laminate the sticker when you remove the tape. On the next one I think I will spray the stuff you use on motorcycle tanks and then cut with a exacto knife to do the graphics. I think it's liquid mask. It comes in gallon jugs and sprays on and peels off when done. I don't think it will hurt the clear top layer as much as tape. That label is a real pita to deal with it looks like a decent business could be done on reproducing these as the vin is really in the chassis also. Also a lot of the original stickers are usually scratched up after the years.
I went out and looked and the stickers seem to be the same on the 72 sb and the 75 914. I wonder if this has already been solved on the vw bug forums? Germanlook, samba or somewhere?
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Mar 3 2009, 11:01 AM
Post #37

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

TC 911s registry guys have a couple of threads about this. They are in the same boat.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forum/sho...ght=vin+sticker

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
6freak
post Mar 3 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #38

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

When i read this post my heart sank..mines in the shop getting that very part of the car painted as i speak ..I just called them .they didnt remove or paint over it thank god..good luck with that issue i feel for ya pal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Todd Enlund
post Mar 3 2009, 01:00 PM
Post #39

Resident Photoshop Guru

Member No.: 8,032

I've got a sub-miniature punch and die set that could do the perforations, but it would involve doing them one at a time. Do-able, if tedious. Precision is possible... I use it to punch 1/48 scale aircraft instruments.

Are the anti-tamper circles embossed or scored?
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Mar 3 2009, 01:23 PM
Post #40

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

Looks like Todd has your answer. Have him send a bid to the paint shop and let them pay the cost.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 07:51 AM