Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Carbs VS FI, Which is better?
Carbs VS FI
Which is better?
Carbs because... [ 35 ] ** [27.34%]
FI because... [ 93 ] ** [72.66%]
Total Votes: 128
Guests cannot vote 
benalishhero
post Nov 28 2010, 08:03 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,384
Region Association: North East States

I've had three different set-ups on my stock 2.0: duel carbs, single carb, and currently D-jet. I voted for the latter because the performance and reliability does not compare.

I refrain, all with a stock 2.0.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Nov 28 2010, 08:29 AM
Post #62

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

Dueling carbs is a very common occurance around here. A syncrometer will cure that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
ME733
post Nov 28 2010, 09:00 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 9,209
Region Association: South East States

I voted for Carburators...........here,s why....The stock fuel injection is a first generation system., with limitations..With carburators you are NOT restrained within certain parameters for a camshaft choise., with fuel injection the duration and lift is limited as a practial matter., Carburators are a demand system.The more air and fuel the engine needs the carburator (s) will supply it no matter what RPM,s you use.....Camshaft selection is just a matter of the RPM ranges you intend to use...Carburators are simpler.(KISS). keep it simple stupid. Carburators are simpler, without the masses of high pressure fuel lines , fittings, temp senders,air box, air flow meter,etc etc...Over many years I have replaced the fuel injection systems with carburators.Every customer was satisfied and the engine ran better, had MORE HP. and was customer friendly....The OEM fuel injection is adequate for the limited power range and RPM,s in stock form., but after forty years practacially every component is worn out, and some of the replacement parts are getting EXPENSIVE...The OEM system, to me, is just not worth the hassle of maintenance....Carburators are the way to go.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 28 2010, 10:08 AM
Post #64

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

I provide engines with stock FI, programmable FI and Carbs..

I make the choice of which is the best to go with based on:

1-The purchaser's experience and skill level (I'll never give a newbie PEFI!)
2- Target engine output and desired displacement (If it's over 125HP or a 2056cc engine stock injection is out the window)
3- What I feel the purchaser's ability is to follow instructions
4- The application- if someone has a newly restored car they need simplicity because by the time the reach the engine install portion they'll be out of patience.

Lots of people live in a world filled with Unicorns and Rainbows and they want a system that falls into place, tunes intuitively and performs flawlessly.

Wen those guys come my way I tell them to go buy a new Porsche, because their 40 year old car isn't going to get them there here in the real world.

I like carbs and PEFI, I am not a fan of stock FI because it requires compromises related to engine design that aren't beneficial in any other way other than providing stock EFI compliance. Stock FI does have its place.

+Quote Post
Gint
post Nov 28 2010, 10:59 AM
Post #65

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Yikes... Just when you thought that the only thing worse than another 4 vs 6 or carb vs. FI thread, someone votes in and bumps is a 2 year old carb vs. FI poll thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
hashagen7
post Nov 28 2010, 03:17 PM
Post #66

Member No.: 12,339

Attached ImageI will gladly trade this for your carbs.
+Quote Post
chrisg
post Nov 28 2010, 09:12 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 1,455

Maybe slightly off topic, but has anybody had problems with CA gasoline and carbs? I'm still not sure which way my L-jet stock 2.0 will go, but carbs run with CA gasoline have become a major PITA with my motorcycles if they sit for 2 weeks or so. I have not found an additive that works either. The small slow jets get jelled(?) gas that clogs them in that short period and the only way to fix it is to tear them down. I can't handle this if I decide to go with a motor combo that would dictate using carbs. I'm leaning towards a McMark/Jake 2056 with L-Jet but can't help wanting to go maybe 2270.
+Quote Post
'73-914kid
post Nov 28 2010, 09:20 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 9,714
Region Association: Southern California

I was having the same problem for a while.. It's kind of just part of owning carbs with crappy gas..
I did try one thing that worked. a shot glass of Marvel Mystery Oil in every full tank of gas has kept the problem at bay for 2 months now... Maybe something to try..
+Quote Post
tradisrad
post Nov 29 2010, 09:56 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 6,815
Region Association: Northern California

I like my d-jet set up. No cold start issues, starts in just a few cranks of the engine, good mileage, good power. Its been trouble free for 20 years.
+Quote Post
benalishhero
post Nov 29 2010, 10:10 AM
Post #70

Member No.: 8,384

Chrisg, does CA have E10? We run it up in Maine. Napa fuel additive with ethanol treatment works quite well to prevent jelling. Part number is 7800 IIRC.
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Nov 29 2010, 05:26 PM
Post #71

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(hashagen7 @ Nov 28 2010, 01:17 PM) *

Attached ImageI will gladly trade this for your carbs.

.....Now that you put it that way....I'll stay with FI (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
carbs have their place ?(eat them all the time) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
seriously they do have their place (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pain30.gif)
I 2nd the worthless thread opinion! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 5 2011, 12:14 AM
Post #72

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

QUOTE(benalishhero @ Nov 29 2010, 09:10 AM) *

Chrisg, does CA have E10?

Evidently we do, as of this year. Last year, it was (generally) E6, but they changed it.

--DD
+Quote Post
ewdysar
post Jun 5 2011, 02:31 AM
Post #73

What happens here, stays here.

Member No.: 3,030

Carbs are inherently better. That's why all modern car manufacturers use carbs to generate lots of efficient, reliable power. FI is just a fad.

(Getting ready to pul my SBC Holley 4bbl carb and install a MAF injection system.)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 5 2011, 08:04 AM
Post #74

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

I voted for fuel injection...

There is nothing wrong with a well set up carb system. My motor is modified beyond what the factory fuel injection will respond to so I either have to go to carbs or aftermarket fuel injection. I want the control that fuel injection affords.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jun 5 2011, 09:31 AM
Post #75

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

And the debate goes on and on and on and on ....

I'll take my 27 - 33 mpg and put up with fixing FI. If I want a sucking sound I will record it and play it through my stereo.

You can have your 12 - 17 mpg with carbs.
+Quote Post
patssle
post Jun 5 2011, 09:46 AM
Post #76

Member No.: 10,741

You can have your 12 - 17 mpg with carbs.

And I do! I get 14 mpg in city driving with my old bus motor and dual Webers. Even with gas approaching $4 I was still driving it to work while my 28 city mpg Mazda 3 sat at home.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 5 2011, 10:12 AM
Post #77

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

FI baby. Why? #1 - When I was a 18 I worked in a carb shop. Even then (1969) it was obvious that carbs had run their course ( in stock applications).
#2 - I watched Lew (shewlew) piss and moan while throwing money at his carb set up over and over. Since he converted (or as they say in west TX "decided to get the shit out of his neck") to FI, I don't see (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) him anymore. In all fairness to carbs I believe most of their complaints arise from improper application (ie the FI cam) or after market POS set ups. IMHO, I believe America was the only one to get carbs right. And towards the end we began to complicate them w/ centerflow technology or worse, internal non serviceable metering blocks.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 5 2011, 09:54 PM
Post #78

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ Sep 16 2008, 03:08 PM) *
Carbs VS FI, Which is better?

Yes ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
al weidman
post Jun 6 2011, 10:07 AM
Post #79

Al Weidman

Member No.: 8,736

I'm an old guy and I would say it depends on either how smart you are or how much money you have. I am not smart enough to diagnose FI problems but there are plenty who can. My current 914 stopped on me five times and I had to be towed home each time. I replaced something different each time but it continued to stop. (just like someone turned off the gas) I put a set of del orto 40's on and have not had any problems since. By the way, last year at WCR I averaged 32 miles per gallon. It is a '75 2.0 with 195 X65 tires and runs at 75 mph at 3000 rpm. My original 914, that I special ordered new started having FI problems at about 1979. I put a set of 40 mm webers on it and it still has them and is owned by my friend Bob Scott in Washington. He would not sell me the car back when I wanted to get back in so I found my '75 instead. I do know several owners that have had their cars for many years without any problems. It all comes down to the reliability of the parts on your car and their failure or not. The new FI systems seem to be much more reliable, however, I would be behind the same tow truck if it broke. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jun 6 2011, 12:13 PM
Post #80

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Well, after buying my 76 914 2.0l with Dell 40's on it in 95, I drove it for three years until I couldn't stand it any longer. Cold starts in Seattle sucked so I bought and re-installed the Djet without any of this Internet help available today. Best decision I made as its been trouble free since but it did have one CHT failure (wouldn't start in the driveway). That was a easy fix so I still don't understand why people say FI is so complicated and hard to fix as there is very few parts, its KISS.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 01:41 AM