Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> College budget restoration, Trudging forward
ThePaintedMan
post Mar 29 2012, 05:01 PM
Post #121

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

One more shot of my redneckery. Just to get it down to 2 colors rather than 4. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Mar 29 2012, 05:02 PM
Post #122

Advanced Member

And carpet!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Mar 29 2012, 06:07 PM
Post #123

Member No.: 1,179
Region Association: None

That has to be one of the fastest driveway restorations I have ever seen!

Great work!

Keep posting pictures so those of us who need to can work on our cars vicariously though you.

Peter
+Quote Post
Germancar-Junkie
post Mar 29 2012, 06:31 PM
Post #124

Man pedals aren't just for men

Member No.: 14,004
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

No wonder you haven posted in a while... you've been workin' your (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) off! Looks great! So glad to hear you're drivin it.

Keep up the inspiring work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Mar 29 2012, 06:53 PM
Post #125

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Mar 29 2012, 06:37 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 29 2012, 04:32 PM) *

Looks like the Blue on New Mustangs ( and since you DD a Mustang) so that's my guess

Yep, Grabber Blue. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

You're getting a motor tonight? I'll assume this isn't for the GT, since that one has a great motor sitting there ready to go.

Yep for the Steel roof (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Mar 29 2012, 07:03 PM
Post #126

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

Wow what a quick turnaround! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
VOX
post Mar 29 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #127

Member No.: 10,027

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) driving it already! awesome! keep up the good work!
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Mar 30 2012, 08:01 AM
Post #128

Advanced Member

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Thanks for the support all. It has been a lot of work and I know I've made mistakes along the way, but at least now I get to have a little fun. Driven it over 100 miles to and from campus this week and saved a bunch of gas over the Mustang. I'll slowly start tackling the body work once the semester is over. Right now I've got to buckle down on research statistics and my thesis.

A question though, and maybe you can help with this one T.C. Where is a good place in the Tampa Bay area to get the windshield re-installed? We boogered it up when trying to put the 914rubber trim on it. I would rather just get it done right.

Also, T.C. - I hate you on principle alone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) That motor looks great!
+Quote Post
carr914
post Mar 30 2012, 08:10 AM
Post #129

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Don't know any Windshield Installers - Sorry
+Quote Post
Irish914
post Apr 11 2012, 12:01 PM
Post #130

Member No.: 14,179
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Mar 29 2012, 04:01 PM) *

One more shot of my redneckery. Just to get it down to 2 colors rather than 4. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)Attached Image

I like the two tone look it really makes that blue pop. Even though its not a typical 914 color. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Apr 11 2012, 05:45 PM
Post #131

Advanced Member

Well, thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Its just rattle can black primer though. Eventually it'll be all blue. Until I add the green. You'll see.

Update: Aircooled.net is FINALLY sending the linkage kit I ordered about a month ago. I talked to John on the phone and explained I was ordering it through him because CB Performance took so long before and charged outrageous shipping. AC.net took just as long and the shipping was just as bad. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Wish we had better vendors for this stuff.
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Apr 11 2012, 05:46 PM
Post #132

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

Eventually it'll be all blue. Until I add the green. You'll see.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Apr 11 2012, 09:22 PM
Post #133

Advanced Member

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Apr 11 2012, 07:46 PM) *

Eventually it'll be all blue. Until I add the green. You'll see.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I promise it won't be awful (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
rwilner
post May 29 2012, 01:00 PM
Post #134

No Ghosts in the Machine

Member No.: 11,530
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)

updates?
+Quote Post
carr914
post May 29 2012, 01:54 PM
Post #135

Racer from Birth

QUOTE(rwilner @ May 29 2012, 03:00 PM) *

George drove it to my house on Saturday, we drank Beer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) - End of Update
+Quote Post
vw505
post Aug 5 2012, 10:24 PM
Post #136

Member No.: 579

Dam cant belive you pulled that off! What part of St Pete are you from. I grew up in shore acres and lived in Tampa working in Ybor.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 6 2012, 08:11 AM
Post #137

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

holly cow george!! i had never seen this thread before and had no idea of the condition of the car you started with. good work. the pict in post #110 with all the automotive supplies surrounding the car is a classic.

k
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Aug 6 2012, 02:49 PM
Post #138

Advanced Member

Hello again,
I do have some updates, but my camera is currently stuck in the car while it rains. I'll work on getting some progress pics up soon. Mostly little things and getting the carbs tuned, but bodywork will come soon as the Fall rolls in.

Vw, I grew up on the south side of St. Pete, near the Albert Whitted Airport. After college, I moved to Tampa in the Carrollwood area and was working there for awhile till I decided to go back to school. If you're ever in this neck of the woods, let me/us folks know.

Kevin, thanks again for the kind words. Still a work in progress, obviously, but I have yet to work on the car and not learn something.

More pics/progress soon. I promise.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Aug 14 2012, 12:37 PM
Post #139

Advanced Member

8/14/12 Update:

Had a very cool, albeit frustrating weekend. Walter Olin (walterolin) was down to visit his daughter and family from Missouri and was gracious enough to stop by with Johnathan, his son-in-law. We talked about all kinds of stuff in the short time he was here, and he filled me in on a few things that I was wondering. Great fun. Walter also graciously brought me the original heat exchangers from his early 1.7 so I would have something to replace the ones that were falling apart on mine.

With that I decided it was finally time to replace my exhaust and fix some issues I had with the exhaust studs. Soon after he left on Saturday, I began dropping the exhaust. This was a chore because the whole system was welded together by the PO. As in the HEs and the Monza-style exhaust were one unit that had to be unbolted all at once. I had inspected it previously and noted this, but also that the nuts were butted right up against the manifolts on several studs. I was able to pry and get a wrench on all of them finally and removed the exhaust. Needless to say, it almost fell apart in my hands, the welds were so bad. I also then discovered the reason why the nuts were so hard to remove. It appears that the PO had installed chevy 3/8 in studs after the orignals must have stripped out.

I spent the rest of the weekend first trying to find stepdown studs from M10-M8 as they were the only ones that would ostensibly fit the hole size in the head after they had been drilled out. No luck. So then I moved to plan B, which was to install Time Serts and the original style M8 studs. Installing the Serts was quite easy, and unfortuantely I only had 4 on hand. But the remaining 4 were on the side of the exhaust that I could still reach with a crow-foot extension, so I was okay with leaving them for now. This left me with two problems though. The holes in the HEs that Walter brought me would only fit over a M8 stud and would not clear the remaining 3/8 inch studs. On top of that, I could not find the appropriate length M8x1.25 studs at any local source. I settled for a "universal" stud kit that had M8 studs in it for the time being, but I still had to do something about the HEs. I remembered that I bought some later style manifolds with cherry-bombs welded to them. In the interest of getting the car back together and off jackstands until I could come up with a better option, I decided to put them on, knowing they would be ungodly loud.

I annealed the copper washers and started bolting things up, only to realize that despite my best efforts, I still had clearance issues. The PO had obviously drilled/tapped the studs at an angle such that when I put the Time Serts in, the studs still ended up too close to the manifold, and even with the correct 12mm nuts, I was not able to get a wrench fully on them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

By this point it was nearly dark, so I tightened things up the best I could and started it up. Yup, sounds like a tractor at idle, but what happens when I rev it? Well, its really loud and to my utter surprise, throws about a 1 1/2 foot flame out the back along with a satifying "POP". I gotta take a video of this.

I'm not really sure what to do next. Driving it on the street probably wouldn't be a great idea and would just get me pulled over. I can't hook the original style HEs back up due to the studs. I also think that I discovered a hole under one of the studs into the combustion chamber from the PO drilling too far. It looks like a head rebuild is inevitable. Unfortuantely I have way too many things going on and never enough money, so I think it will be prudent for me to let it sit for awhile until I get things figured out. The only other solution I can think of is to find a used engine for cheap (<$300) somewhere in Florida that hasn't been totally abused like this one.

I promised pics, and I will have more up soon.

On a positive note, I did get my headlight situation figured out and installed the JWEST kit. Very, very cool! I can now turn on the fogs independently and flash with them without the headlights popping up. I'd recommend this to anyone, it was a very simple install and a great reward for little work.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Aug 14 2012, 01:00 PM
Post #140

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351

And you did all this while on your back! I am impressed!

I guess the PO has enter witness protection to prevent a real ass whupping!
+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 04:57 PM