Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> O Great Board of Knowledge I need a Daily Driver
djm914-6
post Feb 6 2004, 09:00 PM
Post #21

Happiness is: Getting on the road

Group: Members
Member No.: 248
Region Association: None

I too would like a two Porsche Driveway. From what I've been told by others, an earlier 911 is fine in the snow (Where's Unka Dunka when you need him). With the right tires, I'd bet they could go anywhere. But, for $10k, it would be a hard find to get a reliable driver. As said before, a 944 is well within that price. Skip the Turbo and find the newest and best condition car you can. Hell, you only live once and life is too short to waste driving an appliance.

But wait, there's more...
If you do descide to buy a VW... (see Sig below)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Feb 6 2004, 09:03 PM
Post #22

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

I use a 928 as my daily driver. Downside is poor fuel economy. I have owned over 30 Porsches and the 928 is the best for everyday use. The 928 has all the modern creature comforts, plenty of power with great handling. It is not any worse than a 944 or even a 911 if you need major work and have to rely on a pro.
However you DO NOT want a project 928. You want a low mile, well maintained (records) car. In Nov. of '02 I bought a two-owner '81 (two cam, less complex than 4 cam), AT, with 68,000 miles. It had recent cam belt/water pump replacement ( $1000 job). Paid $6750. The car has given me 12,000 trouble-free miles with only oil changes so far. AC does not work. I could update it for about $1000 but I choose to live without it. If I were to have a major engine or trans failure it could cost as much as I paid for the car. If that happens it will be a parts car!
+Quote Post
LS6/914
post Feb 6 2004, 09:25 PM
Post #23

Never leaves the shop member

Member No.: 1,215
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

81 on up 928, when the motor lets go stuff a LT1 motor in it and really have some fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 6 2004, 09:51 PM
Post #24

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

91-93 RX7 turbo, wheeeeee when the boost kicks in! Very dependable when you just drive it around..

Geoff
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Feb 6 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 178

911 SC
+Quote Post
steve@ottosvenice.com
post Feb 6 2004, 11:21 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 1,324

I would not get a 928 or 944 unless you are ready to spend $$$$. 911 's are cheaper to run than those two. Steve
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Feb 7 2004, 11:43 AM
Post #27

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Thanks for all the replies so far... To give some more info, I only at max about 100 miles a week, and boulder does not get that much snow, and the wife has a explorer, so winter driving is not an issue, at all with me. I have a super easy commute, and even with rear drive it would not be a problem.

I have about a month or maybe even two to shop, so I will start with driving a 944 and 928. My first thought is a nice low mile early 928 with lot's of records, there is a nice black one on the bay right now, with 45k and I will be interested to see what it goes for. A 944 was at the back of my list, but I should really drive one first and see what I think.

A 911 is still first choice, but finding the right one won't be easy...

Thanks again. Ferg.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 02:23 PM