Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Etching Primer and Paint Gun?
9fourteen
post May 23 2012, 10:34 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,239
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Before I start cutting into the longs and hell hole I was thinking about sand blasting the whole area first to see what I have and then prime it before making the repairs. (eventually I am going to strip the whole tub. just doing it in sections) I already bought a blaster from eastwood. Now I need to get setup for painting so I can prime it immediately after stripping it. I have made a list of the main things I need to buy. I think I got most of it figured out but have questions on the primer and a good paint gun. I have never sprayed paint so any advice is welcome or if there is something i need to add to my list, let me know.

Here is a list of what I think I will need

paint gun
etching primer
fresh air respirator
hood
throw away coveralls
gloves
metal prep

I am sure I will need stuff to mix the paint with. The paint shop guys will help with that.

I am also going to build a chamber to limit the mess from the blasting and over spray in my garage.

I went to the local paint shop and they sell three brands of etching primer, nason, ppg and dupont. They are in order of price. Nason appears to be a low priced dupont brand. It's about half the price. Can I use the cheap stuff or should I stick with the ppg or dupont. Obviously I want to save money but I don't have a problem buying the right stuff if it is worth it and will work better. Actual suggestion items numbers would be welcome.

I was also looking at paint guns. They had a nice 2 gun set from DeVilbiss, one for priming, one for painting, i think it was around $200. They had other guns that were half the price or lower. I think i have read on here that the DeVilbiss guns are the best. (or at least in somebody's opinion they were). Is it worth the extra money or will I get the same results with the cheap gun?

thanks

I know everybody likes post with pictures so here is one.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 08:23 AM