Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My sound deadining projeck
geniusanthony
post Oct 28 2010, 03:27 AM
Post #81

Its a brand new "Chrome-sicle"

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,266
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

First the praise. You did a very clean job of it and that camel looks great, I am sure even nicer against the blue outside. I am curious though how much of the materials you used and what do you figure it weighed?
Additionally, have you driven it yet to report on the improvement?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Oct 28 2010, 10:21 AM
Post #82

Speed Up !!!

Member No.: 8,696

Its not Done yet,

I did drive it today, but i still have the doors to do, the 3 part targa seal, the rear targa seal. and then i will calculate the weight for ya (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Untill i get all the wind noise gone, i will not know.

I do have a Phonic PAA3 meter that i will use to measure the sound levels.

+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 28 2010, 10:49 AM
Post #83

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

Joe, I'd like to measure the sound levels in my car some day when you get a chance.

Zach
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
silver74insocal
post Oct 29 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #84

Member No.: 11,073
Region Association: Southern California

Looks awesome great job dude. how did the carpet go in? what did you use to attach it and did you have to heat any up to get around the e brake area? thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Oct 29 2010, 05:29 PM
Post #85

Speed Up !!!

Member No.: 8,696

QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Oct 29 2010, 06:14 PM) *

Looks awesome great job dude. how did the carpet go in? what did you use to attach it and did you have to heat any up to get around the e brake area? thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Carpet went in easily, but you only get one shot with the adhesive i used. It is more sticky than any 3m product i have ever used. It almost has a spray/ sillystring kinda effect. Got it from the second skin company, figured i would try it. I highly recomend it.

As far as the Ebrake area, i just ran the carpet straight, then once i had everything tight on the straight edge, i grabbed the ebrake and put it up and down a few times, it created the shape just perfect. I was a little worried about that area before i did it.

this is the stuff
Attached Image

Thanks for the compliment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
Prospectfarms
post Nov 1 2011, 08:19 AM
Post #86

Member No.: 12,801
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 10 2010, 07:48 PM) *

I've been thinking about using a different approach.

I just don't like the idea of scraping off all that old tar and fixing the rust to then seal everything off afterward so water can get back in and start rusting my car again.

So, my idea is to paint the floors etc. after rust removal and then add the sound padding material to the backside of the carpet.

I think this would still work pretty well and makes for easy removal to inspect the floors every once in a while.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

A few years ago I wanted to build a quiet Beetle, so I pulled up sections of the floor covering on some "modern" cars that were available to me: Mercedes sedan -- inside, I found paint, wool felt and wool carpet. Underneath the pans was an applied elastomeric coating. Acura Integra -- Paint, rubber, foam, carpet. No undercoat. Chevy -- Paint, foam, rubber. None of these cars used much if any cement under the interior finishes except at a few spots.

My conclusion was to apply an elastomeric coating underneath, but keep it "loose" inside. I went with a customized rubber liner over the fresh pans, felt and German carpet. I did insulate the engine bay with a heavy applied tar board. Can't remember the vendor. It was quiet.

It's apples and oranges, but I think strategies dealing with resonance and wind noises are more effective than blanket "insulation" underneath the interior finish. How that applies to 914 I haven't quite figured out yet. I also think that blanket insulation will work as well to eliminate noise, but the stick-on applications are less satisfying if you consider the potential problems "down the road."

This is a neat thread with a lot of information and where the opinions expressed are based on expertise instead of conjecture. Thanks for that.
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Nov 1 2011, 11:55 AM
Post #87

Member No.: 10,019
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Oct 10 2010, 02:31 PM) *

and one picture for scotty. See, i do listen to your pennies.

Just got done reading this whole thread. Great read!! My 914 is at the same stage (removed factory deadener, addressed/treated rust, painted floor pan and longs etc. )

My question is what brand of deadener was used on this and where can I get it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)?

I like the plain look and will also not put any deadener in the 'channels' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif). Thanks!!
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Nov 1 2011, 12:01 PM
Post #88

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Second Skin Audio Products
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 06:33 AM