Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> v8 t-stat, what else should i check
John2kx
post Dec 29 2003, 03:15 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,066

Paul,

As a reference, my fans turn on at 179.6F and off at 170F, as measured from a probe in radiator.

Engine temperature when this occurs (as measured from a probe in intake), fans come on a little over 180F and off a little under 180F.

You might have your fans coming on a little too late and suffering from a snowball effect where your system can never catch up. FYI, my fans don't kick in unless at idle or in bumper to bumper traffic.......never while car is continuously moving at any speed above about 30 mph.

I've never seen high temps. (260F) at idle. This is where your making the least amount of heat in engine. Allow the fans to run manually at idle (prior to reaching 160F or so) and see what happens.

What size is hole in front of radiator/bumper? How is air escaping front hood area? Is outlet opening(s) twice the size of inlet?

John
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
smrz914
post Dec 29 2003, 03:12 PM
Post #42

Soon to be brightening the life of the person behind you.

Member No.: 596

Oh it doesn't matter when the fans turn on it still get's hot. I have a pretty big opening in the front of my car. and openings in the hood and the fenders. The hood I opened as an attempt to cool better but it did nothing. The hood was crap anyway, 2 front end collisions. Anyway the water going back to the engine is definitly cooler then what is coming in.

IT's raining so I can't do any work, rats.
+Quote Post
smrz914
post Dec 30 2003, 08:49 PM
Post #43

I checked the spark plugs and they look really good. The oil looks fine, no signs of water.

Did you see the bubbles completely go away at your fill point while engine was warming up? If you lower the level at that point about 1" and increase idle to about 1200-1500 or so, you will be able to run engine while water is expanding. If air bubbles you present then, I'd suspect a blown head gasket. You could also pull your plugs.........if a cylinder is pumping water, you'll see a rusty color on plug.

no bubbles if i increase the idle. The guy at the parts store suggested that i ring the car for about 15 sec. and see if there is any buildup of presure for the cylinders. That turned out negative.

No word from Meuller.
+Quote Post
John2kx
post Dec 31 2003, 02:18 AM
Post #44

Time to try another gage.
+Quote Post
smrz914
post Dec 31 2003, 02:24 AM
Post #45

what is the guage going to do? The car is boiling over. It is hot. It's not the guage that is overheating it.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Dec 31 2003, 04:25 AM
Post #46

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Paul,

where are you located ?? I need to deliver a tranny near Sac this week. I would rather see this in person and try to help you out.

B
+Quote Post
John2kx
post Dec 31 2003, 10:34 AM
Post #47

Paul,

I didn't know you were boiling over.........never heard that in your previous posts and thought your gage was suspect. Take Brad up on his offer to help in person. The brief/vague descriptions you've described are somewhat difficult to use in diagnosing problem.

Good luck,

John
+Quote Post
smrz914
post Jan 1 2004, 07:18 PM
Post #48

brad- I'm in lafayette, east bay, close to walnut creek and pleasand hill. My car is outside and i have no garage so i only work on it when it's not raining. I'll send you a note with address and phone# and i'm around all the time just let me know when you have time. I appriciate the offer.

john- It's hard to include everything sonce there are so many variables. I thought i mentioned it boiling over but who knows.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 03:24 AM