Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Ben's 914 TURBO Official World Premier, 'cuz it didn't blowd up.
airsix
post Sep 13 2004, 01:04 AM
Post #1

I have bees in my epiglotis

Group: Members
Member No.: 266

Ok, so it isn't as cool as Chapman's 914-6 Turbo 3.0, but it's a turbo 914 all the same. Ladys and Gentlemen, at about 10:00 PST I got boost and there was much rejoicing. I took the car out, filled it with premium, tuned it with the laptop a little to make sure it got plenty of fuel under boost, and the mission was a sucess. Boost starts to come on at ~2,700rpm and is going full-steam by 3,500rpm.

I stand (ok, sit) here before you my brothers to declare that yes indeed, you can turbo a 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Details:

Engine: '73 1.7, stock internals
EFI ECU: Perfect Power MIC3 (Cost ~$500 to get on the car and running 3 years ago)
Misc EFI stuff: Subaru 1.8T injectors, Holly throttle body off a 3.0 Chrysler, BMW 5xx fuel pump, foam motorcycle aircleaner (temporary)
Turbo: IHI off 1.8L Subaru (including wastegate)
Misc Turbo stuff: Bosch blow-off valve (for a Saab I think). Cheap. Plastic. Works great.
Total cost to add turbo: $175 (EFI was already on the car. Use Megasquirt+turbo and you can do this for <$400 easy)

I tried to modify my fuel pressure regulator with a boost-reference port like the in the dune-buggy.com article but I broke off a wire guage drill bit about 1.5" deep into the bolt. Dang. Only had about a quarter-inch to go too. So I just bolted it back on the car and set the fuel pressure at the 30psi I have the ECU turned for. I tried to crank up the injector pulse width under boost to compensate, but they hit 100% duty cycle at 5,000rpm because at that point they only have 20psi effective pressure (because there's 10lb of boost by that point). So I'm keeping it under 5k rpm until I get a rising-rate pressure regulator. The wideband O2 says mixtures are just fine below that point. I estimate I'm getting 110hp (That's not a WAG. I really did the math) which doesn't sound like much but is sure better than the 80hp I had before. I would still like to add an intercooler which could put it in the neighborhood of 130hp without getting too boost-happy. Even as it is now I would say it's 100% more fun to drive. I'm really happy about it. I'll get the pressure regulator issue squared away so I can run it up to 6k and I think it'll keep me happy for quite a while.

Rick said "This thread is worthless without pictures" so here's the best I could do. If you missed the earlier thread I'll throw in one of the earlier pics too. I tried to make a video but all you hear is wind noice and the blow-off valve between shifts.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
airsix
post Sep 13 2004, 02:27 PM
Post #21

QUOTE(Sammy @ Sep 13 2004, 12:05 PM)
I have a new hero! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Anyone who has pulled it off knows it aint as easy as you make it sound. Tonight when I get home I'm going to offer a toast to the north with a frosty beverage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)

Thanks Sammy. Anybody can follow. You were the one who blazed the trail. And yeah, it's hasn't been easy, and it's not over yet - I call this a major milestone, but not the end of the project. Still got some issues to shake out, but it'll get there (in one piece I hope). You are still THE MAN. Cheers.

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
Eddie914
post Sep 13 2004, 02:46 PM
Post #22

Unregistered

In what part of Eastern Washington State do you live?

My mother has lived in Spokane for nearly 50yrs. I get over there regulary.

Regards,

Eddie
+Quote Post
TimT
post Sep 13 2004, 03:11 PM
Post #23

retired

Member No.: 313

Kewl!!

nice job Ben....You may want to run it without the muffler. We run 930's all the time on the track and street without mufflers and havent had any problems with noise..

No muffler is lighter, and will allow faster spool up of the turbo

Try it you may like it !! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
andys
post Sep 13 2004, 03:42 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

QUOTE(TimT @ Sep 13 2004, 01:11 PM)
Kewl!!

nice job Ben....You may want to run it without the muffler. We run 930's all the time on the track and street without mufflers and havent had any problems with noise..

No muffler is lighter, and will allow faster spool up of the turbo

Try it you may like it !! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

TimT,

That reminded me of something we did in the early days of street turbo's without waste gate controls. We controlled the boost with the exhaust by restricting it with different sized mufflers (or as you suggested, no muffler at all). Crude, but effective.

Ben, if you used thin wall muffler tubing for your fab, keep a close eye on it. It will likely crack. It's perhaps one reason your Dad suggested stainless. Again, in the early days, we used heavy wall (.125") carbon steel weld together steam pipe fittings. Actually worked out quite nice, as there are 45's, 90's, and reducers available with beveled edges for welding.

Andy
+Quote Post
airsix
post Sep 13 2004, 04:15 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(Eddie914 @ Sep 13 2004, 12:46 PM)
In what part of Eastern Washington State do you live?

I'm in Kennewick, WA. (2 hours South of Spokane). Anybody's welcome to come visit. The problem is this place isn't really "on the way" to anywhere. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) The avatar pic of the Tetons that says "home" is misleading - that's where I grew up.

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 13 2004, 04:25 PM
Post #26

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I want to see that intake setup!!!

Asside from that..

GOOD JOB!!!

My thoughts for a turbo was a built bottom end (bus stuff... on a 2.0) k26 sized turbo (heck I have one on my desk.. lol) water injection and short exhaust pipes... Then a Mass air flow (for da sound of course...) And maybe 7-10 psi...

BUT That will be later.. Maybe on this sbc (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Andrew
+Quote Post
airsix
post Sep 13 2004, 05:30 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 13 2004, 02:25 PM)
I want to see that intake setup!!!

There is no way I'm letting any of you see the intake setup! It's too ugly. It's made from stuff bought at Home Depot. It would make the average PCA member faint on sight. It's just a proof-of-concept prototype. I will make a REAL intake this winter and then I'll show you pictures.

-Ben M.

ps - I haven't given up on the idea of making a short video if someone's got a place for me to upload to.
+Quote Post
Brando
post Sep 13 2004, 05:36 PM
Post #28

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

Next up, twin turbo?

Run a turbo off of each side... Cyls 1,3 & 2,4 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Very impressive work done there. Bravo!
+Quote Post
Gint
post Sep 13 2004, 06:15 PM
Post #29

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Nice goin Ben!

Ever going to dyno it?
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Sep 13 2004, 09:29 PM
Post #30

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

That's what I'm talking about! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif)
+Quote Post
echocanyons
post Sep 13 2004, 10:15 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 7
Region Association: Central California

Damn fine work!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 13 2004, 10:19 PM
Post #32

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

The one big key is that you kept it a 1.7

Every Type IV Turbo that I have been able to keep together used the 90mm bore.

Good job, I'd really like to see what your head temps and EGT run for comparisons with two that I built last year.
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Sep 13 2004, 11:49 PM
Post #33

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 13 2004, 09:19 PM)
The one big key is that you kept it a 1.7

Every Type IV Turbo that I have been able to keep together used the 90mm bore.

Good job, I'd really like to see what your head temps and EGT run for comparisons with two that I built last year.

What about a 98mm bore with nikki's? You think that will work?
+Quote Post
nein14
post Sep 14 2004, 07:30 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 262

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) As the proud new owner of Evil Ed's 2.0 914 Turbo , he built it with 94mm P & C's, 71mm crank and 1.7/1.8 heads.

Boost its set at 9lbs. for the street and come on at about 3000 rpm's. He also installed Carroll Water Injection system for running 14lbs. of boost on 100 octane race fuel
when he was doing track events at Watkins Glen.

The head temp rarely gets above 180- degrees. The car is an absolute blast to drive even in 5th gear it has grunt!
+Quote Post
Evill Ed
post Sep 14 2004, 11:43 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 371

QUOTE(nein14 @ Sep 14 2004, 05:30 AM)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) As the proud new owner of Evil Ed's 2.0 914 Turbo , he built it with 94mm P & C's, 71mm crank and 1.7/1.8 heads.

Boost its set at 9lbs. for the street and come on at about 3000 rpm's. He also installed Carroll Water Injection system for running 14lbs. of boost on 100 octane race fuel
when he was doing track events at Watkins Glen.

The head temp rarely gets above 180- degrees. The car is an absolute blast to drive even in 5th gear it has grunt!

Hey John, I think it was the oil temp that rarely goes over 180f (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

The heads never go over 325 or 350f, I forget.

BTW- I think John drives it alot harder than I did, on the street anway. I don't recall routine 100 mph blast to my barber shop (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Ed
+Quote Post
nein14
post Sep 14 2004, 12:25 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 262

HI Ed
Your right, my mistake I was referring to oil temp. The head temp doesn't go above 325 to 350 degrees.

BTW, the last run up to get a haircut was 110mph with a BMW 325 trying to catch me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 14 2004, 02:29 PM
Post #37

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Nickies solve the sealing issues- period. Any size will work unless you get stupidly thin.
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Sep 14 2004, 02:32 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I was just wondering, is it really ok to run a water cooled turbo without water cooling?
Are they set up for adequate cooling with oil alone?
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Sep 14 2004, 02:49 PM
Post #39

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

Wondered about that myself. As I understand it, the primary reason water-cooled bearings came into being was that even the oil-only turbos had cooling problems, esp. on shutdown. The oil would fry once the pressure went away after shutting off, coking to the bearing. I supposed what one could do is use a small heat exchanger (like an oil cooler) with lines to and from the bearing. If you mounted the cooler more or less level with the turbo, there would be some thermo-siphoning effect to keep the water moving even w/o a pump, and this would work even with the engine off. Would work best if you ran the hoses parallel to each other, one above the other, so one was the "cold" hose, and the other was the "hot" hose. Hot water would rise in the bearing housing to the hot hose and sink in the cooler as it lost heat, pushing the cooled water at the bottom of the cooler along the cold hose into and up into the bearing housing. Pretty cheap to do. The air hose from the fan housing currently blowing air through the bearing housing could instead blow it against the cooler.

I have no idea if this would be adequate, but it sounds like it would be better than just relying on the oil alone.
+Quote Post
Evill Ed
post Sep 14 2004, 03:22 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 371

QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Sep 14 2004, 12:32 PM)
I was just wondering, is it really ok to run a water cooled turbo without water cooling?

Yes, it is fine. The cooling jacket is to help prevent oil coking (sp?).

Ed
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 01:12 PM