Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brand new CV's for the 914/4...using Type I CV's.., pictures of mods, this is how I did it.....
Brad Roberts
post Jun 26 2006, 04:43 PM
Post #21

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

The 914 CV has a bevel washer that keeps spring tension against the CV when you push it onto the axle. This helps keeps the clip in place on the other side.

Funny part of all this:

Sway A Way makes axles with no clips and no springs. The CV's float on the axles. What are they going to do? Come out of the CV ? No.

B
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 26 2006, 04:45 PM
Post #22

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 26 2006, 03:43 PM) *

The 914 CV has a bevel washer that keeps spring tension against the CV when you push it onto the axle. This helps keeps the clip in place on the other side.

oh, i see ...

then, *NO*, don't change anything as the one axle you already did was PERFECT with all the washers and clips etc ...

just make the second one to match the first one ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jk76.914
post Jun 26 2006, 04:59 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 3,925
Region Association: North East States

Here're interesting comparisions between CV joints from various applications:

http://www.blindchickenracing.com/How_to/C..._joints_101.htm

I measured a brand new 914 axle against these, and it measured 22 degrees of angularity- versus only 12 degrees with the Type 1. I guess that doesn't matter, since these are working well for you. Note that the Type 4 (by which this guy means 924 and 944) also has 22 degrees, but with the 100mm diameter- too big. And the only one with more is the 930 CV at 25 degrees (108mm).

Interesting. When I get a minute later tonight, I'll lookup my other measurements of the 914 CV and post them.

The 914 tranny a VW unit????? That's the first I heard that!

Jim
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 26 2006, 05:28 PM
Post #24

914 Freak!

It says VW all over it. It is not much different than the T1 bug box. I have been involved with several Hewland/914 boxes in the past. The input shaft and pinion shaft are on the same measurements as the T1 IRS tranny/Hewland. We use Hewland gear sets.

B
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 26 2006, 05:29 PM
Post #25

914 Freak!

The 914 tranny case has the bosses on it in the bottom of the bellhousing for the BUG mounts to the frame horns. Drill and mount.

B
+Quote Post
Dad Roberts
post Jun 26 2006, 06:57 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 70

Something else to consider when using the Type I CVs, there are units available that have been heat treated and deburred for further strength and life. These are the ones I have been running in my V8 Type III for years(including many dragstrip passes). When I repurchased my old car I replaced all the joints, just to be safe. I knew the POs had broken some of the CVs from misuse( one was broken by the upholsterer getting the car in and out of the building (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) ). Just something else to consider when adapting Type I CVs. The "Blind Chicken " site has lotsa useful info.Dad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Otmar
post Jun 27 2006, 02:04 AM
Post #27

2000 Amps in a 914

Member No.: 387

Hey Mueller,
I ended up doing that same thing one panicked Saturday morning before a race in Oregon (that was back when I lived in Kalifornia) after calling a dozzen parts houses and wreckers. Many thanks to the parts guy who suggested that the splines were the same. But I did it in the back of the Stretch, in the parts house parking lot (just in case I F** up and needed another) with a Makita drill and a rag to keep the shavings out of the joint. Still worked great until I fragged the transaxle.
Can you say 30 minutes until the track opens? Sure, I knew you could. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Have fun!
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Jun 27 2006, 11:34 PM
Post #28

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 26 2006, 03:43 PM) *

Funny part of all this:

Sway A Way makes axles with no clips and no springs. The CV's float on the axles. What are they going to do? Come out of the CV ? No.

B

Here is a picture of a Sway-A-Way that Brad is talking about and this is what I will be runing. The idea is to let the CV "float" unloaded and find it's own "happy spot" which reduces heat and friction. Another added benefit is that if the suspension takes a firm hit, the axle can move and won't break the ball retainer from a C-clip impact and the final benefit is that for high horsepower use, there is no radial groove around the axle on the load side that would initiate a break.
(IMG:http://www.sayegh.org/Paul/porschepics/swayaway.jpg)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 10:38 AM