Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brand new CV's for the 914/4...using Type I CV's..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Saw a post by Guy aka 914GT about using Type I CV's since the 914 specific CV is NLA. So far Guy has not had problems and he is running a 300+ HP V8 burnout.gif

So I bought a set of 4 (average price is $40 or so, Eric Shea has them in the resource area)

They are not a 100% bolt on item, they are lacking the 10mm spring pin holes so 2 of the 8.5mm(?) thru holes need to be drilled to a depth of 10mm (.40")

Normally I would use my mill, however I had a job setup on it and I didn't want to re-do my fixtures for that current job so I used my lathe.

Not the prettiest tooling, but it works smile.gif

1st pic is stock CV with un-mod'd CV on the right, lower CV has 2 holes opened up for the spring pins.

Click to view attachment

2nd pic is of the fixture, the 2 silver posts are for locating the CV, these are turned down to match the diameter of the thru holes on the CV, then I use a bar to clamp the CV down.

Click to view attachment

3rd picture shows CV having hole cut.

Click to view attachment

4th picture shows "step" cut into the CV for the gasket, Guy and others have just used RTV with good results, but I wanted to use the PITA gaskets screwy.gif

Click to view attachment

Mueller
the dash marks in black ink are so that I re-install the cage w/balls into the correct CV and at the correct orientation......
jonwatts
Hey cool. Good to see you're keeping busy.

Do the girls sleep to the sound of the lathe now?

Mueller
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Jun 26 2006, 09:28 AM) *

Hey cool. Good to see you're keeping busy.

Do the girls sleep to the sound of the lathe now?

The girls sleep thru the compressor cranking away in the garage !!!!!

jonwatts
That's good, much better than lite sleepers.
mightyohm
Since you have the lathe out, can you turn them for the gasket recess?
Aaron Cox
good idea!

mike, i guess this is more economical than 944 axles!

they have same internal spline? so you just use the 914 axle?

cool.
Mueller
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jun 26 2006, 09:41 AM) *

Since you have the lathe out, can you turn them for the gasket recess?

Last picture shows the new relief for the gasket....the CV on the top right hand side....

arron, I'm using 4 lug parts still, I think the 944 parts have a larger OD for the CV.
yes, the spline count is the same as is thickness, the only deviation is that the Type I has a slightly smaller OD on the end opposite of the spring pins where the boot goes, I see this as an non-issue since the mounting bolts will center the boot.
fiid
That's really cool - nice job dude.
URY914
That's it??? Drill some holes and bang in the roll pin. Perfect. When do you go into production?

Mueller
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 26 2006, 10:00 AM) *

That's it??? Drill some holes and bang in the roll pin. Perfect. When do you go into production?

I looked into it, but I don't have a commercial account and after tax and or shipping, there wouldn't be any money in it at all sad.gif
JeffBowlsby
Price them so that there is money in them Mike. Save the 914 world, the alternatives are not...available!
markb
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 26 2006, 12:49 PM) *

Price them so that there is money in them Mike. Save the 914 world, the alternatives are not...available!

agree.gif
Brad Roberts
Did you fill the two remaining holes with silicon so the grease doesnt travel through the pins and out the CV boot cover?

Just a thought: the 914 tranny is a VW part. Did anyone check to see if you could use regular IRS bug output flanges on the a 914 tranny? You would'nt have to go through any of this (at least on one end!)

B
SirAndy
and while you got your lathe all fired up, why not turn down my second axle?

biggrin.gif Andy
Mueller
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 26 2006, 02:25 PM) *

Did you fill the two remaining holes with silicon so the grease doesnt travel through the pins and out the CV boot cover?

Why? The 914 CV has a thru hole for the spring pin, they too would have the same issue.

Just a thought: the 914 tranny is a VW part. Did anyone check to see if you could use regular IRS bug output flanges on the a 914 tranny? You would'nt have to go through any of this (at least on one end!)

Seems like more work and more cost to replace the output flange.
B

Mueller
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 26 2006, 02:30 PM) *

and while you got your lathe all fired up, why not turn down my second axle?

I've been meaning to ask you if the 944 CV's use the bevel washer or not, if they do, I need to re-machine your axles to compensate for it.

biggrin.gif Andy

Brad Roberts
Why? The 914 CV has a thru hole for the spring pin, they too would have the same issue.

The CV does, but the boot and cover DO NOT have 6 holes like the VW

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 26 2006, 03:34 PM) *

I've been meaning to ask you if the 944 CV's use the bevel washer or not, if they do, I need to re-machine your axles to compensate for it.

what's a bevel washer ??? confused24.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
Seems like more work and more cost to replace the output flange.

Anyone checked to see if we can VW stub axles at the control arm.

The whole idea would be to utilize a complete VW BUG IRS axle assembly one day so people could bolt something together. Not drill/mill/lathe something together.

I have used a drill on 930 CV's for the early 911 spring pins. I know it works.

The main question is: do the VW parts work?

B
Brad Roberts
The 914 CV has a bevel washer that keeps spring tension against the CV when you push it onto the axle. This helps keeps the clip in place on the other side.

Funny part of all this:

Sway A Way makes axles with no clips and no springs. The CV's float on the axles. What are they going to do? Come out of the CV ? No.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 26 2006, 03:43 PM) *

The 914 CV has a bevel washer that keeps spring tension against the CV when you push it onto the axle. This helps keeps the clip in place on the other side.

oh, i see ...

then, *NO*, don't change anything as the one axle you already did was PERFECT with all the washers and clips etc ...

just make the second one to match the first one ...
beerchug.gif Andy
jk76.914
Here're interesting comparisions between CV joints from various applications:

http://www.blindchickenracing.com/How_to/C..._joints_101.htm

I measured a brand new 914 axle against these, and it measured 22 degrees of angularity- versus only 12 degrees with the Type 1. I guess that doesn't matter, since these are working well for you. Note that the Type 4 (by which this guy means 924 and 944) also has 22 degrees, but with the 100mm diameter- too big. And the only one with more is the 930 CV at 25 degrees (108mm).

Interesting. When I get a minute later tonight, I'll lookup my other measurements of the 914 CV and post them.

The 914 tranny a VW unit????? That's the first I heard that!

Jim
Brad Roberts
It says VW all over it. It is not much different than the T1 bug box. I have been involved with several Hewland/914 boxes in the past. The input shaft and pinion shaft are on the same measurements as the T1 IRS tranny/Hewland. We use Hewland gear sets.

B
Brad Roberts
The 914 tranny case has the bosses on it in the bottom of the bellhousing for the BUG mounts to the frame horns. Drill and mount.

B
Dad Roberts
Something else to consider when using the Type I CVs, there are units available that have been heat treated and deburred for further strength and life. These are the ones I have been running in my V8 Type III for years(including many dragstrip passes). When I repurchased my old car I replaced all the joints, just to be safe. I knew the POs had broken some of the CVs from misuse( one was broken by the upholsterer getting the car in and out of the building blink.gif ). Just something else to consider when adapting Type I CVs. The "Blind Chicken " site has lotsa useful info.Dad driving.gif
Otmar
Hey Mueller,
I ended up doing that same thing one panicked Saturday morning before a race in Oregon (that was back when I lived in Kalifornia) after calling a dozzen parts houses and wreckers. Many thanks to the parts guy who suggested that the splines were the same. But I did it in the back of the Stretch, in the parts house parking lot (just in case I F** up and needed another) with a Makita drill and a rag to keep the shavings out of the joint. Still worked great until I fragged the transaxle.
Can you say 30 minutes until the track opens? Sure, I knew you could. biggrin.gif

Have fun!
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 26 2006, 03:43 PM) *

Funny part of all this:

Sway A Way makes axles with no clips and no springs. The CV's float on the axles. What are they going to do? Come out of the CV ? No.

B

Here is a picture of a Sway-A-Way that Brad is talking about and this is what I will be runing. The idea is to let the CV "float" unloaded and find it's own "happy spot" which reduces heat and friction. Another added benefit is that if the suspension takes a firm hit, the axle can move and won't break the ball retainer from a C-clip impact and the final benefit is that for high horsepower use, there is no radial groove around the axle on the load side that would initiate a break.
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.