Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phoenix Gold Build, the "NEW" stereo install
JTarver
post Oct 29 2010, 06:22 AM
Post #21

Medium pimpin

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,559
Region Association: South East States

Just awesome! I can't wait to see the finished product here. I too enjoy my SQ, and since I'm not a racer, I really get into the stereo logistics.
I too drove a minitruck in the 90's, it was my baby. 5 grand worth of stereo in it, and enough neon to light up Yankee stadium. I miss that truck, and have often toyed with the idea of getting another one, but the wife always brings me back to reality. lol

Joe
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
siverson
post Oct 29 2010, 10:14 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 654
Region Association: Southern California

> Never understood need or interest for that...

The "need"?!?! That's pretty funny coming from the guy who stuffed a 928 V8 into his car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-Steve
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Oct 29 2010, 10:26 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Black22 @ Oct 28 2010, 07:13 PM) *

Just my 2 cents, but I used to be heavy into car audio and was a Sound mixer in Hollywood for 15 years. I was always told that for every 1 subwoofer you put in a car you should have two of every other smaller speaker to have a balanced sound stage. Meaning if you want a 12" sub and 6" mids plus 1" tweeters you should install the 12" with 2 ea of the 6" and 2ea of the 1". That system would sound good if you deleted one of subs and used the 3rd amp for more mid and high range. IMO. It'll sound good the way the schematic shows, it's just overkill on the bass side unless your a mini truck from 1990.
Also I didn't notice any specs on the amps. You don't need a huge amount of power to be loud and clean. I once had a system in my Mustang that used 3 amps that had combined total 135 watts that produced a measured 140dB at a contest. It's not how much you use but how and what you use.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Very cool. BTW, the sub(s) needs to 180 degrees out of phase with the other speakers.
+Quote Post
BigDBass
post Oct 29 2010, 10:35 AM
Post #24

Dumb Question Champion

Member No.: 5,405
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(siverson @ Oct 29 2010, 11:14 AM) *
That's pretty funny coming from the guy who stuffed a 928 V8 into his car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 29 2010, 12:21 PM
Post #25

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

BTW, the sub(s) needs to 180 degrees out of phase with the other speakers.

Cool! I didn't know that. Is this a general technique? Tell me more... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Oct 29 2010, 12:28 PM
Post #26

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305

Very cool, don't worry about the old farts who wonder why you want such a nice sound system, personally my car is so loud it is hard to hear most things, but I still went ahead and bought some Polk Audio 6.5 inch coaxial speakers for my new A and P pods and Kenwood CD player....got to have some tunes while driving to work and sitting in traffic. Your system looks very cool and well done! Cheers!!
+Quote Post
EdArango
post Oct 29 2010, 02:52 PM
Post #27

914 Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,309
Region Association: Southern California

Damm kids and your loud music. You need to go to church!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Oct 29 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(EdArango @ Oct 29 2010, 01:52 PM) *

Damm kids and your loud music. You need to go to church!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

What was that again?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Oct 29 2010, 04:20 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 29 2010, 11:21 AM) *

Cool! I didn't know that. Is this a general technique? Tell me more... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Reverse the polarity of the wires going to the sub(s). This sounded so much better in one of my old systems. Give it a try & see (hear) how it sounds.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 29 2010, 07:08 PM
Post #30

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(windforfun @ Oct 29 2010, 03:20 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 29 2010, 11:21 AM) *

Reverse the polarity of the wires going to the sub(s). This sounded so much better in one of my old systems. Give it a try & see (hear) how it sounds.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

This information is not exactly correct.

bass phase polarity only needs to be 180 degrees out if your system design creates Negative Wave Propagation. NWP is caused when the audio sine wave from two opposing speakers meet at the lowest point of the wave. This causes a dip in sound pressure level. Frequency and physical distance also play a big part in NWP. Many newer electronic crossovers have a switch to place the output out of phase. You should always experiment with woofer phasing for best sound. Not simply place it out of phase.

The same audio sine wave can also create Positive Wave Propagation. This is the opposite of NWP and usually occurs when door speakers face eachother. PWP effects Mid Bass frequencies most often in a vehicle. It can make the music sound muddy in the Mid Bass region. An easy fix for this is the fabricate a half round wedge to be placed under the speaker so the two don't face directly opposing.
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Oct 29 2010, 08:51 PM
Post #31

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(siverson @ Oct 29 2010, 09:14 AM) *

The "need"?!?! That's pretty funny coming from the guy who stuffed a 928 V8 into his car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-Steve

Damn, I just happened to realize that. Seriously Rick, you got no legs to stand on here! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 30 2010, 10:17 AM
Post #32

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

For those interested. Here is a woofer box Port Nomogram. This will help you figure the diameter and length of your tuned port. Use the largest practical diameter for best results. Small ports can make wind noise from air movement. PM me if you want a pdf.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Oct 30 2010, 03:47 PM
Post #33

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

Use the largest practical diameter for best results.

basic rule of thumb that I went by for building sub enclosures was to aim for having ports roughly 1/3 the diameter of the sub they were getting matched with. Wasn't always the case, but it made for a great starting point.

Joe, great thread; I've been waiting for this one. The amps look great!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 30 2010, 04:59 PM
Post #34

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Oct 29 2010, 09:51 PM) *

QUOTE(siverson @ Oct 29 2010, 09:14 AM) *

-Steve

Damn, I just happened to realize that. Seriously Rick, you got no legs to stand on here! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

In my limited knowledge of building stuff I see this as apples and oranges. I guess if I installed a 928 V8 in my stereo it would make as much sense as installing 250 lbs of electronics, duel batteries and three miles of wire in my sports car. Well I guess unless I had it parked in my livingroom. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Anything that doesn't make it go faster or turn sharper should be left on the garage floor. But that's just me.

I guess the stereo is cool if it was in a tow vehicle but like I said, I never understood the need to do that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Oct 30 2010, 05:38 PM
Post #35

It's too bad cars this old didn't come with nice sound systems like today's cars. IMO, a system such as this, if done cleanly without damage to the car, is a work of art.
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Oct 31 2010, 03:16 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(windforfun @ Oct 30 2010, 06:38 PM) *

It's too bad cars this old didn't come with nice sound systems like today's cars. IMO, a system such as this, if done cleanly without damage to the car, is a work of art.

I LOVE music - one of my businesses reps Denon/Boston Acoustics. That being said there is no "stereo" sweeter to my ears than Dual Webers at WOT (wide open throttle). In my current 914's no sound equipment that wasn't factory and that is useless really.

Joe - I think your project is VERY cool and would love to hear the system one day. As a matter of fact I have saved the schematic as a guide for 914 Project #3 (still a secret project).

The great thing about 914's and 914World is few cars and car clubs are as diverse as we are. There are purists (CW's) here, guys putting Subaru engines in and everything in between - and we all get along. Hell - I even heard some guy put a 928 engine in a 914!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) What's next a Boxster engine with Tiptronic transmission! Hmmm... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

914World ROCKS!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 31 2010, 11:33 AM
Post #37

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 31 2010, 04:16 AM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Oct 30 2010, 06:38 PM) *

I LOVE music - one of my businesses reps Denon/Boston Acoustics. That being said there is no "stereo" sweeter to my ears than Dual Webers at WOT (wide open throttle). In my current 914's no sound equipment that wasn't factory and that is useless really.

Joe - I think your project is VERY cool and would love to hear the system one day. As a matter of fact I have saved the schematic as a guide for 914 Project #3 (still a secret project).

The great thing about 914's and 914World is few cars and car clubs are as diverse as we are. There are purists (CW's) here, guys putting Subaru engines in and everything in between - and we all get along. Hell - I even heard some guy put a 928 engine in a 914!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) What's next a Boxster engine with Tiptronic transmission! Hmmm... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

914World ROCKS!

See, Now secret project #3 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif) is a perfect fit for a stereo of this nature. I'm not a total neanderthal when it comes to sound in cars. Sometimes it makes perfect sense. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
pktzygt
post Oct 31 2010, 07:27 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 7,611
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Haha, my buddy and I were reading your thread on the Phoenix forum the other day. He know alot more about older systems, tube amp type of stuff than I do, but he was very impressed.
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Oct 31 2010, 08:17 PM
Post #39

Speed Up !!!

Member No.: 8,696

QUOTE(pktzygt @ Oct 31 2010, 09:27 PM) *

Haha, my buddy and I were reading your thread on the Phoenix forum the other day. He know alot more about older systems, tube amp type of stuff than I do, but he was very impressed.

Its a small world (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

i love that place. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Dec 2 2010, 03:48 PM
Post #40

Speed Up !!!

Member No.: 8,696

I got my cables today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
Attached Image
I will be finishing "The Big 3"

0guage wiring from multiple batteries to the distro block, then 4guage to the amps. I will be fusing every lead right at each battery. The ground wiring will also be 0guage from the battery to the chasis, to the alternator. I also bought extra wire to run 0guage positive and negative to the starter (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

There is a longer run of 4guage that I will pull to the front to feed the head unit and the DD5 wich will run to each component.

This should cure any dimming at high volume (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

I will update with install pics

I had no idea just how big these cables really were, everything looks smaller on the computer, but DAMN (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 08:14 PM