Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Babydoll went home today, mission accomplished
zymurgist
post Nov 15 2009, 12:04 AM
Post #1

"Ace" Mechanic

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

I drove down to NoVa today to take Babydoll home. She sports a new TPS circuit board, sway bar link bushings, fresh round Mahle wheel, taco plate sealed, and a bad vacuum leak found and rectified. She takes a while to warm up, but once warm will run fine. Starts and idles really nice. When I got there, Caroline took Babydoll out for a test drive at a rather higher speed than I drove on the way there. Babydoll took the winding road with aplomb, although I advised caution due to lots of leaves on the road.

Drove my taildragger home... smoked out the garage after having been sitting since August, but ran great all the way. No drama.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MikeSpraggi
post Nov 15 2009, 01:58 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,570
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Nov 14 2009, 11:04 PM) *

I drove down to NoVa today to take Babydoll home. She sports a new TPS circuit board, sway bar link bushings, fresh round Mahle wheel, taco plate sealed, and a bad vacuum leak found and rectified. She takes a while to warm up, but once warm will run fine. Starts and idles really nice. When I got there, Caroline took Babydoll out for a test drive at a rather higher speed than I drove on the way there. Babydoll took the winding road with aplomb, although I advised caution due to lots of leaves on the road.

Drove my taildragger home... smoked out the garage after having been sitting since August, but ran great all the way. No drama.

That's good news. Glad to hear Caroline had a sprited drive!
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Nov 15 2009, 09:13 AM
Post #3

"Ace" Mechanic

Hopefully she will get out today for a longer drive. We were really burning daylight by the time I got there, so we just went up and down Hampton Road (if you know it, it's a good 914 road). I took the road MUCH slower in the 911 when leaving... I'm not as familiar with the road as she is, and I haven't driven the 911 since August.
+Quote Post
type47
post Nov 15 2009, 10:35 AM
Post #4

Viermeister

Member No.: 994

So, how did Caroline like driving the 911 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Nov 15 2009, 05:15 PM
Post #5

"Ace" Mechanic

QUOTE(type47 @ Nov 15 2009, 11:35 AM) *

So, how did Caroline like driving the 911 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

She didn't drive it. Doug (the previous owner) told her over the years that it was too powerful and she would kill herself in a fiery crash if she tried to drive it. So the car sat there since August, basically untouched.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Nov 15 2009, 05:48 PM
Post #6

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

Thats no fun! Is the car that powerful, or is it just bthe snap oversteer thing?
+Quote Post
type47
post Nov 16 2009, 07:00 AM
Post #7

Viermeister

Member No.: 994

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Nov 15 2009, 03:15 PM) *

She didn't drive it. Doug (the previous owner) told her over the years that it was too powerful and she would kill herself in a fiery crash if she tried to drive it.

More questionable output from Doug... or maybe Caroline just TOLD you she didn't drive it. I thought I remembered seeing a 911 of the same color at the last Potomac autocross (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Nov 16 2009, 07:17 AM
Post #8

"Ace" Mechanic

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 15 2009, 06:48 PM) *

Thats no fun! Is the car that powerful, or is it just bthe snap oversteer thing?

Probably a little of both. Also, the clutch doesn't release fully so you have to drop into 2nd to go into 1st if you're sitting at a traffic light in neutral (otherwise it crunches and we don't like that). Probably a clutch cable issue but I haven't had time to troubleshoot it lately.

Actually, I don't even drive it hard myself these days. The back tires are a little bit too wide... may want to see about putting 50 series tires on the wheels instead of the 60s that are there now. The wheels came with good rubber (bought the pair at Carlisle) and the main goal was to put them on the back while I refinish the front wheels 2 at a time... a project which has yet to begin. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Nov 16 2009, 07:18 AM
Post #9

"Ace" Mechanic

QUOTE(type47 @ Nov 16 2009, 08:00 AM) *

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Nov 15 2009, 03:15 PM) *

She didn't drive it. Doug (the previous owner) told her over the years that it was too powerful and she would kill herself in a fiery crash if she tried to drive it.

More questionable output from Doug... or maybe Caroline just TOLD you she didn't drive it. I thought I remembered seeing a 911 of the same color at the last Potomac autocross (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Now I know you're making this up! I don't think my car will pass tech inspection. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
flipb
post Nov 16 2009, 07:45 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 10,752

Ken,

Was Babydoll paying a visit to Taylor Chapman? He's going to help out with my teener in the next few weeks - already brought it by his shop twice. On one of my visits, there was a gorgeous green early 914 there, and I think he said that the owner lived in MD... is that Babydoll?

And quit giving away my secret roads! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I live in West Springfield (not far from GAG) and my usual one-hour jaunt includes Hampton, Henderson, and occasionally going out to/past Clifton. I did a much abbreviated version yesterday around 4pm.

Flip
+Quote Post
ws91420
post Nov 16 2009, 08:10 AM
Post #11

Yes I have one a Lensley 914

From: Ruther Glen,VA (halfway between sticks and civilization)
Member No.: 1,137

Nope, Ken is Babydoll's wrench. Plus Babydoll is a white 914.
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Nov 16 2009, 09:46 AM
Post #12

"Ace" Mechanic

QUOTE(flipb @ Nov 16 2009, 08:45 AM) *

Sorry dude. Babydoll lives off of Hampton.

Those are some nice 914 roads, although right now there are so many leaves, I would be extra cautious.
+Quote Post
flipb
post Nov 16 2009, 09:55 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 10,752

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Nov 16 2009, 10:46 AM) *

Sorry dude. Babydoll lives off of Hampton.

Those are some nice 914 roads, although right now there are so many leaves, I would be extra cautious.

I, ahem, explored the limits of adhesion a couple weeks ago when Henderson was still drying out from several days of rain. Wet road plus wet leaves. Almost lost it on one bend, fortunately no oncoming traffic at that moment.

I've been wondering if there were any other 914s in my part of southern Fairfax. Will have to keep an eye out for Babydoll now.
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Nov 16 2009, 10:08 AM
Post #14

"Ace" Mechanic

Was Babydoll paying a visit to Taylor Chapman? He's going to help out with my teener in the next few weeks - already brought it by his shop twice. On one of my visits, there was a gorgeous green early 914 there, and I think he said that the owner lived in MD...

MikeSpraggi has a green "real" /6. I'm pretty sure he lives in Md. I wonder if that's the one you saw.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 05:33 PM