Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> distributer cleaning, what kind of lube?
scrz914
post Mar 21 2010, 10:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,960
Region Association: Central California

I was checking my trigger points, trying to figure out why I'm only running on two cylinders and decided to take apart my distributer and clean it real good. All parts moved freely and were well lube, although it seemed like an over abundance of lube (and little bits of plant leaves). So know that I have it spotless, what are the only parts that should get lubricated? The advance plates, the little ball bearing thing, and the cams for the trigger points. Any other places? And would a moly-lube work well or is there something specific. My trigger points seemed fine. Also I was surprised to see my dist was a 205F and I have a '73 2.0. The 205f per Mr. Anders is from a '70 1.7. But they're pretty much all the same, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Thanks for your help
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Mar 21 2010, 11:17 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(scrz914 @ Mar 21 2010, 09:56 AM) *

I was checking my trigger points, trying to figure out why I'm only running on two cylinders and decided to take apart my distributer and clean it real good. All parts moved freely and were well lube, although it seemed like an over abundance of lube (and little bits of plant leaves). So know that I have it spotless, what are the only parts that should get lubricated? The advance plates, the little ball bearing thing, and the cams for the trigger points. Any other places? And would a moly-lube work well or is there something specific. My trigger points seemed fine. Also I was surprised to see my dist was a 205F and I have a '73 2.0. The 205f per Mr. Anders is from a '70 1.7. But they're pretty much all the same, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Thanks for your help

Light grease for the points block, like white Lubriplate. Oil in the felt under the rotor, and I oil my weights, not grease them. 3n1 oil or sewing machine oil. Moly is no good for this, too heavy. Make sure the advance shaft actually moves, and snaps back in to place.
+Quote Post
scrz914
post Mar 21 2010, 11:56 AM
Post #3

Okay, so an oil is better than grease for the plates and weights. I have Bosch cam grease which I can use for the points and triggers.
Thanks my man.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Mar 21 2010, 01:31 PM
Post #4

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246

Use Bosch or Delco point grease for the distributor cams. Motor oil for the felt pad in the shaft. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
scrz914
post Mar 21 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #5

where is the felt? Are you talking about what rides on the cam for points? I actually have a Pertronix and am not seeing any felt.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Mar 21 2010, 02:58 PM
Post #6

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

where is the felt?

under the Rotor inside the shaft!
+Quote Post
tod914
post Mar 21 2010, 03:04 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Should run better with the proper distributor. Curves are different as well as the vaccume advance unit. 73 2.0, you should have also have a 2 ports on your throttle body for adv. and retard.
+Quote Post
scrz914
post Mar 21 2010, 03:10 PM
Post #8

under the Rotor inside the shaft!

Inside the shaft? Nope nothing there.

Should run better with the proper distributor. Curves are different as well as the vaccume advance unit. 73 2.0, you should have also have a 2 ports on your throttle body for adv. and retard.

TB only has one port. But I think it's from a '75. One thing I'm trying to do is get all of the FI components compatible. Hopefully all from the same year.
+Quote Post
scrz914
post Mar 21 2010, 03:27 PM
Post #9

So it sounds like the felt inside the shaft acts as a reservoir for lubricating oil. Also sounds like although I changed every part on in my FI system except the dist, TB, Fuel pump, and MPS I still have will still be on the lookout for some more replacement parts. Almost there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 11:17 PM