Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Quieter mufler?, without loosing too much power?
VaccaRabite
post Apr 24 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #1

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I am running a EruoRace header, and the "Turbo" muffler is LOUD. Ear plugs needed on the freeway loud. yes, it sounds mean, but it makes the car rather uncomfortable to drive for longer rides.

I would like to cut it off, and replace it with something a bit more quiet, but that will still work in the spot and allow me to use the stock exhaust exit in the rear valiance.

Any ideas?

Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pete-stevers
post Apr 24 2010, 09:06 PM
Post #2

saved from fire!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,914
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

i have heard that the mk muffler is too quiet!!
i know that the triad is a "tad" loud,
I will be putting up my triad for sale
when i find a quieter muffler
i like talking to my passenger when i drive
Having said all that the triad is very well built, and looks damn fine
perhaps we should just ask him to make a queiter one for us (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I would be up for that!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Apr 24 2010, 10:49 PM
Post #3

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

You could get one of those Aero technology mufflers. They have a straight throug design and use an airfoil to turn half the exhaust note 180 degrees out of phase with the other. The end result is NO restriction, NO fiber packing and low noise. They are quite expensive. The last time I researched them they wew around $600 each. But they're pretty bad ass...
+Quote Post
sgetsiv
post Apr 25 2010, 12:01 AM
Post #4

Former 914 Owner :(

Member No.: 9,192

What about putting a Supertrapp on the tail pipe? I've got a Tangerine race header and muffler and am playing with a 4" Supertrapp that I can use when I drive to the track or an AX. $65.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Apr 25 2010, 12:02 AM
Post #5

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

For street cars that are relatively stock, I actually like the OE factory mufflers!
+Quote Post
messix
post Apr 25 2010, 12:06 AM
Post #6

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

QUOTE(sgetsiv @ Apr 24 2010, 11:01 PM) *

What about putting a Supertrapp on the tail pipe? I've got a Tangerine race header and muffler and am playing with a 4" Supertrapp that I can use when I drive to the track or an AX. $65.

super choke?!

old tech that didn't work well. the only way to get them quiet was to reduce the flow by using less diffuser discs there by increasing back pressure.

modern tech uses much better ways of reducing the sound waves and keeping the flow high.
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Apr 25 2010, 01:20 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

A real muffler (like one with fibers and baffles) will help - a resonater in front will help more. No reason for a little 2.0 l engine to be loud. None at all.
+Quote Post
charliew
post Apr 25 2010, 12:48 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

If you can make it look ok the super trap is a great way to quieten a loud track exhaust down on the street. Other than a cutout it's the only way I know to easily quieten a high performance exhaust. The fact that you can renove or add disks makes it the cheapest way I know to fix loud exhaust and also tune in some backpressure for low speed torque. Yes you can buy good free flowing mufflers but they are not inexpensive. You could just add a turbo and that will help at low speeds. The short exhaust path and under car room makes it kinda hard to get both performance and low noise. You might researsh the corvette exhausts to get some ideas. My 3.4 v6 fiero surprises me that I don't get stopped. It's hard to not get it over 3k without sounding like a harley with straight pipes. It has headers and a gutted cat with a open muffler. Until it warms up and idles down it is even too loud at idle. If I get on it I know that a cop will be able to tell what car it was just by it's idle noise.
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Apr 25 2010, 12:51 PM
Post #9

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Apr 24 2010, 11:02 PM) *

For street cars that are relatively stock, I actually like the OE factory mufflers!

in my opinion also!(no waking baby's) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
DanT
post Apr 25 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #10

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

stock muffler with a well done twin pipe (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 25 2010, 03:05 PM
Post #11

En Garde!

Stock muffler will not work, nor will any other muffler designed for heat exchangers. Eurorace header on my car, which I am not ready and willing to get rid of and go back to heat exchangers. But, I don't want to have a headache from the engine noise on the road. I felt like I was just about yelling at HotShoe at Hersey.

under 3K, the noise is tolerable - sounds good. But once you get on it, it is just too loud for a street car. I want to be able to drive my son around in my car. I already have hearing loss from loud music and guns, and I don't want to get my boy going down that same path so soon.

Zach
+Quote Post
GS Guy
post Apr 25 2010, 03:35 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 2,325
Region Association: North East States

Hey Zach - you might consider doing some custom exhaust work and fit an OEM Acura RSX muffler. I don't know how it would sound exactly, but knowing it can handle a 2L motor spinning 8Krpm, making 200hp - it sure can't be a restriction! You could probably pick one up cheap from all the young guys wanting to ditch the stock system for a fart-can muffler! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

I can take some dimensions off mine it you want to measure it up? And sounds like the good doctor is already up to speed on custom exhaust work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Jeff
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 25 2010, 04:04 PM
Post #13

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Sounds like you're getting old Zack....

If I can't tone down the exhaust on my '67 bus I'm going to sell it. I have a 400 watt stereo and I can't even hear the fucking thing at 60mph.
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Apr 25 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

I'm with ya mine is freaking loud. 3 hours in the car is not much fun. I put in ear plugs coming back from hershey.

Whats scary is I know mine is quieter then alot of other cars. Maybe putting in a back pad would help. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Apr 25 2010, 05:14 PM
Post #15

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I've been eyeballing the muffler under my 1986 VW Vanagon. It's a long straight can muffler that's shorter than the factory muffler, and has an intake and exhaust on opposing ends. Attached is an exhaust systen view to show how the muffler and catalytic converter go across the rear of the van, and show how much shorter the muffler is without the catalytic converter. It's lenght is between the cheap muffler you have, and the factory muffler. The middle pic is factory length, and apparently there are shorter ones as shown on top. For the teener, the can needs to be flipped to put the exhaust on the drivers side.

A side view is included to show the circular cross section that's about the same size as the stock muffler.

I'm thinking it's a replacement for a Bursch, or possibly an "S" pipe to go from my Eurorace. Nice low sound at idle, quiet at speed, straight through design, solidly built , and about $100 dolla US for the non-sstainless ones.

The shorter top one is SS and at:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http:/...%26tbs%3Disch:1

The long one is also stainless at:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http:/...%26tbs%3Disch:1

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 25 2010, 05:40 PM
Post #16

En Garde!

QUOTE(kwales @ Apr 25 2010, 06:14 PM) *

I'm thinking it's a replacement for a Bursch, or possibly an "S" pipe to go from my Eurorace. Nice low sound at idle, quiet at speed, straight through design, solidly built , and about $100 dolla US for the non-sstainless ones.

THAT looks like it bears looking into.

Hey Zach - you might consider doing some custom exhaust work and fit an OEM Acura RSX muffler. I don't know how it would sound exactly, but knowing it can handle a 2L motor spinning 8Krpm, making 200hp

I can take some dimensions off mine it you want to measure it up? And sounds like the good doctor is already up to speed on custom exhaust work!

This also bears investigation. Fabrication of parts won't be a problem - once I have a solution that I think will work. My welds are not as pretty as some (I wish I could weld like Foley... damn!) but they are solid.

I know my car is also quieter then some, but certainly much louder then stock. I'd LOVE to be able to just put a Tangerine on it, and Foley was saying that he is working on quieter solutions. But that is out of my budget right now.

Are there can mufflers (NOT fart cans) that you can get from a FLAPS that would work, but quiet things down to stock or near stock levels?

Zach
+Quote Post
Dominic
post Apr 26 2010, 02:43 AM
Post #17

Dominic

Member No.: 149
Region Association: Northern California

Does anyone use one of these Phase 9 or Phase 1 silencers on their street car?

http://quiethorsepower.com/index.html

http://www.tangerineracing.com/ExhaustComponents.htm

+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 26 2010, 05:26 AM
Post #18

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

The problem with any of the "highflow " mufflers out there is which one is the quiet one? Most I've heard are loud or get loud in short order.
I know I'll have to live with the valve train noise, etc., but I'm really getting to the point that I just hate the noise.

Personally, I don't want to spend big bucks on a system just to have another noisy POS.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Apr 26 2010, 08:02 AM
Post #19

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(Dominic @ Apr 26 2010, 04:43 AM) *

Does anyone use one of these Phase 9 or Phase 1 silencers on their street car?

Too loud for a street car.
One of my customers who bought a race header for his track/AX car just finished the installation and drove the car to an event last weekend. He is already asking for a quieter muffler for days he wants to drive on the street.
I used to make the street and race headers interchangeable with the street and race mufflers but it was really challenging to get the pipes to end at a common point on both layouts. That, and no one ever asked for a race header with a street muffler or vice versa. Now I have to look at designing a quieter muffler for the race header since I don't really like the idea of putting a supertrapp tip on a Stage I Silencer to control the loudness.

Other than OEM, I think my street mufflers are the quietest available, and they don't create any undesirable backpressure.
+Quote Post
grambo
post Apr 26 2010, 03:45 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 3,594

I would suggest simply taking the car to a muffler shop and having them weld in whatever fits.
A friend of mine did this a few weeks ago after his bursch muffler blew out. The shop replaced it with a cylindrical muffler like above. No noticeable loss in power, and it's even a little quieter than the very reasonable Bursch.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 12:39 PM