Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brake fluid leaking at bleeder valves., Damn near all of them!!
rjames
post Jun 6 2010, 06:29 PM
Post #1

I'm made of metal

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) The saga continues. I know I have another thread started regarding my brake bleeding hell, but started a new thread since it's a specific question.

Rebuilt calipers. Each caliper has at least one bleeder valve that is leaking. All four of them are leaking at the bleeder at the top of the caliper, possibly lower ones to, but with the amount of fluid coming from the top and dripping down past the lower bleeder, it's hard to tell.

I don't want to over tighten them, but they are very snug and still leak. To the point where the calipers drip if I pump the brakes. This is probably why I can't get a totally firm pedal. It's definitely not helping.

Before I put the calipers on the car, I asked here if I needed to put anything on the threads and I received a big 'NO' from someone. Was this correct advice, or should I have put something on the threads to keep them from leaking?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pilothyer
post Jun 6 2010, 06:50 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,080
Region Association: South East States

If the bleeders are snug, try to determine if the fluid is coming from the threads or the valve.........I would have to say try a little tighter....I know that the bleeders can at times be very hard to loosen using the little 7 mm wrench, but you should be able to stop the flow with it. On another note have the bleeders been replaced with something different?
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jun 6 2010, 07:08 PM
Post #3

I'm made of metal

QUOTE(pilothyer @ Jun 6 2010, 05:50 PM) *

If the bleeders are snug, try to determine if the fluid is coming from the threads or the valve.........I would have to say try a little tighter....I know that the bleeders can at times be very hard to loosen using the little 7 mm wrench, but you should be able to stop the flow with it. On another note have the bleeders been replaced with something different?

Leaks are definitely coming from the threads.
They were replaced with the replated ones that came with the rebuilt calipers. And they are screwed in very tight now. Any tighter and I fear I'll damage the threads. Yet still leaking.

+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Jun 6 2010, 07:37 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Maybr it's a good idea to let the rebuilder know of your problems/concerns before you go much further.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 6 2010, 07:37 PM
Post #5

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

Metric bleeders ??? did you put new bleeders on your rebuild calipers ,,,kinda sounds like you have the wrong threads !hope you didnt damage the new rebuilds....just read you did get new bleeders
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jun 6 2010, 08:12 PM
Post #6

I'm made of metal

QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 6 2010, 06:37 PM) *

Metric bleeders ??? did you put new bleeders on your rebuild calipers ,,,kinda sounds like you have the wrong threads !hope you didnt damage the new rebuilds....just read you did get new bleeders

Fuch, I hope the threads aren't stripped in some way. Or maybe the rebuilt calipers had bad threads/pitted threads to begin with? I just remembered that I kept and reused a few of the bleeders from my old calipers because they were in better shape than the ones I got with the rebuilt calipers. I can't imagine that there would be a problem with them if they worked in my old calipers.

This sucks.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Jun 6 2010, 09:02 PM
Post #7

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Teflon thread tape? I've seen some brands come with a white tape on the threads new. Ask Eric?
+Quote Post
jsaum
post Jun 6 2010, 09:35 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 7,809
Region Association: None

I bought the speed bleeders and am happy with them, it makes bleeding the system a lot easier if there is such a thing. I give them about a one eighth turn past snug.I would pull one and check the treads against one of the old ones to see if they have a different pitch. Also check the end of the seats to make sure they're seating properly. If you see marks of heavy scoring on them you might have a pitted seat surface on the calipers.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jun 7 2010, 08:41 AM
Post #9

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

The MOST important question here is "what brand are the calipers, and where did you buy them?" If they're from a FLAPS, I can guarantee you they're junk. Buy a set from Eric Shea and be done with the job. The seal is at the juncture of the bleeder screws and the seat in the caliper. It's a cone/taper fit, and has to be redone in a fixture with the proper cutter. Done wrong, or not done at all, they'll NEVER seal. FLAPS sourced calipers, even the nationally advertised brand (whose initials are "Cardone") are NOT properly rebuilt.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Jun 7 2010, 10:38 AM
Post #10

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

ya. I have done the cardone crap shoot. Eric's calipers work right straight out of he box.
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Jun 7 2010, 10:44 AM
Post #11

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

Put teflon thread sealer paste on the threads of the bleeders.

This also helps stop air getting into the system when you crack the bleeders
a quarter turn to bleed the caliper.

John
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jun 14 2010, 10:15 PM
Post #12

I'm made of metal

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 7 2010, 07:41 AM) *

The MOST important question here is "what brand are the calipers, and where did you buy them?" If they're from a FLAPS, I can guarantee you they're junk. Buy a set from Eric Shea and be done with the job. The seal is at the juncture of the bleeder screws and the seat in the caliper. It's a cone/taper fit, and has to be redone in a fixture with the proper cutter. Done wrong, or not done at all, they'll NEVER seal. FLAPS sourced calipers, even the nationally advertised brand (whose initials are "Cardone") are NOT properly rebuilt.

The Cap'n

Bought them from Eric. I'm working with him directly and he's doing a great job to make sure the situation gets sorted out.
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Jun 14 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

Good, he will make it right. Teflon tape wouldn't work, as stated earlier, its the taper seat that stops the brake fluid, not the threads.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 02:36 AM