Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> restoring a 1973 2.0, what color should i paint?
crxnug
post Jun 27 2010, 05:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,489

im restoring a 1973 2.0 and i need some help to make a color choice, i dont want to repaint it the color it came as ,red
the only color i have ruled out are yellows, black, reds, dard green.
the colors im leaning towards are silver metallic, marathon blue, signal orange,
any help in deciding on which way to go would be a great help
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 27 2010, 05:47 PM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

1070 Dodge Plum Crazy Purple... You will have a one of one...
+Quote Post
kerensky
post Jun 27 2010, 05:49 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,508
Region Association: Southwest Region

Of your remaining choices, Marathon Blue is the only one that looks halfway decent on a stock 914, IMHO.
+Quote Post
Cevan
post Jun 27 2010, 05:49 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,351

Delphi green metallic, of course.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jun 27 2010, 06:16 PM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I'm color blind, but navy blue, dark purple, or metallic gray are great non stock colors....

+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Jun 27 2010, 06:35 PM
Post #6

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216
Region Association: Northern California

You know Yellow is fastest, but since you've already chose against it, silver would get my vote. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 27 2010, 08:57 PM
Post #7

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(crxnug @ Jun 27 2010, 04:46 PM) *

im restoring a 1973 2.0 and i need some help to make a color choice, i dont want to repaint it the color it came as ,red
the colors im leaning towards are silver metallic, marathon blue, signal orange,

If you're not looking to stay original with it, then pick what "floats your boat"!

However, you need to be aware that there is a significantly lower value for 914's not in their stock color - perhaps 40-60+% lower, amongst collectors. If yours is otherwise all original with matching numbers (engine & transaxle [if listed] case numbers match VIN on your COA) & the engine is still/staying all stock D-jet - then you may want to reconsider not staying with the original colors.

Listen - I'm no "CW saint" - since my 73 had been repainted tan then gold by the time it was 3 years old when I got it in 12/75, then I repainted to Copper Metallic in 8/76, then to Anthracite Metallic (dk. gray) in 5/80 - after starting life a L80E Light Ivory.

Not being a "white car guy" myself - last year I too considered yet another color change to Marathon Blue Metallic ....... until I talked to a few 914-ers, looked at values original vs. color changed & relative to what it will cost to repair & restore mine. Then I decided to go back to original L80E & learned to like the color more than I had, but my wife's still disappointed (until she sees it done & purdy I'm sure).

Unfortunately it's a dilemma & decision that only you can make, & you'll get input from both sides & many colors that THEY like. You may want to PM dr.914 to get his opinion of original vs. color changes. So look into all the angles, how much work, time & $$s you'll be sinking into your own resto., then decide whether you want your pick that makes YOU happy - or if you can learn to like the original Red, then do it with all the fact & open eyes! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Is/was yours Bahia Red (red-red) or Phoenix Red (red-orange)??

Here are a couple of pix of my buddy's still ORIGINAL Bahia Red paint (no repaint) on his 1 owner 71 914/4 1.7L (plus some!) well preserved & now a garage queen since about 76-77, to give you an idea of how they looked out of the factory (with a few personalization items like the dash, threshold plates, hood badge & Western wheels - all as delivered by the dealer on a buyer who ordered the "extras" then backed out & never took delivery.

Attached Image
Attached Image

That'll give you an idea of what a really nice original Bahia Red (red-red) 914 will look like.

Here's a nicely repainted Phoenix Red 73 2L -

Attached Image

If I could've afforded one in college & ordered it, then I'd have gotten either Marathon Blue, Alaska Blue or special ordered the 70-71 Blue Metallic - all/either with the beige interior which mine has, but that's MY tastes! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

These color links have 914s in the various colors fyi -
http://www.p914.com/p914_paint.htm

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Jun 27 2010, 10:17 PM
Post #8

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Yellow always looks hot but it makes the car slow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) Signal Orange or Tangerine. Now those are FAST colors. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
veltror
post Jun 28 2010, 02:52 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,978

VW scirocco Viper Green Metallic...
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jun 28 2010, 08:00 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

If the original color from the factory was red and you want to paint it a different color, I would suggest red red red red red or red. Any of those colors would be appropriate for the car, to preserve its value, originality, acceptance here at the world and the club, and to not p o dr. 914, by abusing one of his children.

+Quote Post
Ferg
post Jun 28 2010, 08:31 AM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 28 2010, 06:00 AM) *

If the original color from the factory was red and you want to paint it a different color, I would suggest red red red red red or red. Any of those colors would be appropriate for the car, to preserve its value, originality, acceptance here at the world and the club, and to not p o dr. 914, by abusing one of his children.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Sorry, but don't color change a 914, learn to like red (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
BigDBass
post Jun 28 2010, 08:49 AM
Post #12

Dumb Question Champion

Member No.: 5,405
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Not clear to me if the car was Red from the factory, or just when you acquired it. What's the color code on the Karmann plate? Paint it that color!
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jun 28 2010, 09:20 AM
Post #13

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Find the color code and at least see what it was originally first. You'll be better off painting it the original color value wise.
+Quote Post
markb
post Jun 28 2010, 04:05 PM
Post #14

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

If you're doing a true restoration, paint it the factory color. If it's just a rebuild, and you're building it for yourself, without planning on selling it, paint it whatever color you want. It's worth more to resell if it's the factory color.
+Quote Post
avidfanjpl
post Jun 28 2010, 04:40 PM
Post #15

914 Hemophiliac

Member No.: 11,566
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I bet you didn't want to hear everyone howl, but truly, not one 914 that I EVER SAW as a repaint looked as good as the original color, if you were going to stay as original as possible.

Sure, plenty do groundups that change the color of every square inch, but typically they are going for true racecars.

There is just no way to go but original, because original is nearly 40 years old, and you can't ignore original as these cars take the place of "affordable Porsches" in automotive history for the next 10 years.

Sort of like seeing a real redhead with BLACK hair. It typically just doesn't work.

(Apologies to any women that are goths here.)

And in your dreams the car will haunt you with cries to go back to RED!

Good luck!

J
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Jun 28 2010, 05:35 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 8,476

QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jun 28 2010, 07:49 AM) *

Not clear to me if the car was Red from the factory, or just when you acquired it. What's the color code on the Karmann plate? Paint it that color!

Ditto ditto ditto!!!
+Quote Post
Socalandy
post Jun 28 2010, 05:35 PM
Post #17

Its got to be Yellow!!!

Member No.: 10,742
Region Association: Southern California

Yellow is my favorite color of course but if I could go back in time I would keep it stock. Of course I didnt know I would have a yellow 914-6 back then either. My 72 was silver from the factory.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jun 28 2010, 07:40 PM
Post #18

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Only you can decide how important the collector value is. A '73 2.0 is one of the most desirable 914s so keeping it the stock color is even more significant in determining resale value. However, you never said that was important to you.

To answer your question, IMHO silver and signal orange are iconic 914 colors. You simply can't go wrong with either. To choose between them, analyze your personality and temperament and choose accordingly.

When I got my current '74 2.0, I wasn't in love with the original Marathon Blue color. But it was oxidized and faded. I decided to stay with the original color when I had it repainted this year and I'm glad I did. I didn't have the expense of painting the trunks, etc., and I think that silvery blue finish is spectacular in fresh color. Judge for yourself.

Attached Image

Good luck with your decision. Remember, it's your car and the most important person to please is yourself.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jimtab
post Jun 28 2010, 07:51 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 91
Region Association: Northern California

Geezz....I fear change now....mine is the stock Zambezi Green from 1973 (the color all other 914s dream of being) and I wouldn't change it......I'd stay with the red, but then, I also stay with the 2.0
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Jun 28 2010, 07:53 PM
Post #20

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 28 2010, 09:00 AM) *

Not nice to piss off the doctor!

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jun 27 2010, 11:17 PM) *

Yellow always looks hot but it makes the car slow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) Signal Orange or Tangerine. Now those are FAST colors. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Bill, you better hope to hell your life insurance is paid up when Mary reads this! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 06:58 AM