Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> L-jet for 2056
TargaToy
post Aug 29 2010, 07:55 PM
Post #1

-NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO-

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,509
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I had another topic going regarding my plan to build a 2056 from a spare 1.8 motor. Initially, I wanted to find out what was necessary to make my existing D-jet on my running 1.7 work with the future motor.

I learned that I need quite a few 2.0 D-jet components to make it work...and then from what I understand in reading Jake Raby's data on the 2056, I'll still max out at around 115 hp with the FI.

So if I were to revitalize the L-jet system from my spare car instead (a 1975 1.8), would it be possible to get the 120-125 hp a carb'd 2056 makes?

What tweaks exactly will be required to make the L-jet perform safely, and correctly? I have read that the fuel pressure may need to be raised. What are the other considerations and can they be handled by a competent DYI-er?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
davesprinkle
post Aug 29 2010, 09:09 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,943
Region Association: None

QUOTE(TargaToy @ Aug 29 2010, 06:55 PM) *

I had another topic going regarding my plan to build a 2056 from a spare 1.8 motor. Initially, I wanted to find out what was necessary to make my existing D-jet on my running 1.7 work with the future motor.

I learned that I need quite a few 2.0 D-jet components to make it work...and then from what I understand in reading Jake Raby's data on the 2056, I'll still max out at around 115 hp with the FI.

So if I were to revitalize the L-jet system from my spare car instead (a 1975 1.8), would it be possible to get the 120-125 hp a carb'd 2056 makes?

What tweaks exactly will be required to make the L-jet perform safely, and correctly? I have read that the fuel pressure may need to be raised. What are the other considerations and can they be handled by a competent DYI-er?

The Ljet system would likely work pretty well with no changes. No need to increase fuel pressure or get bigger injectors. Just address all the standard Ljet problems: pay close attention to vacuum leaks, make sure the resistor leads aren't broken, make sure your dual relay is OK, get the injectors cleaned, verify ALL of the electrical connections on the engine loom. BTW, you should use the distribulator and fan from the 1.8liter car. (The 1.8liter fan has the timing mark in the correct place. If you use the Djet fan, the timing mark will be wrong.)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 30 2010, 02:47 AM
Post #3

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Run the LJet but you will have to adjust the AFM after its all up and running if you build a 2056 with a Raby cam. The stock setting will be too lean!
HP you will max out at 115hp with the 9550 or 120 with his newer cam, forget using the carb cams as the Ljet won't like em. 115hp is plenty with smooth power....the Ljet FP must be used and the dizzy is nice too.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Aug 30 2010, 06:47 AM
Post #4

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Most of the time a 2056 with a 9550 cam and 8:1 will make in the neighborhood of 115HP as Bleyseng stated above. This is with stock 2.0 heads and no port work done to them.

The big difference isn't the HP, its the broad operating range, flat torque curve and all around increased performance.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 30 2010, 09:21 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

We actually inherited a 2056 made out of a 1.8 Fat performance engine with a problem, took it completely apart, installed a stock cam and reinstalled the 1.8 fuel injection. Runs great has PLENTY of power (jake of course would not think so!!) , looks completely stock and gets good gas mileage!

QUOTE(TargaToy @ Aug 29 2010, 06:55 PM) *

+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 30 2010, 10:07 AM
Post #6

Aircooled Baby!

Thats the beauty of keeping the ljet as it looks totally stock..Fool your friends!
Use the Early style 2.0L HE's and a Bursch and you have a sleeper 1.8L/1.7L 914.

The flat torque curve is what you feel, smooth power as you rev up.
+Quote Post
realred914
post Aug 30 2010, 10:13 AM
Post #7

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 30 2010, 01:47 AM) *

Run the LJet but you will have to adjust the AFM after its all up and running if you build a 2056 with a Raby cam. The stock setting will be too lean!
HP you will max out at 115hp with the 9550 or 120 with his newer cam, forget using the carb cams as the Ljet won't like em. 115hp is plenty with smooth power....the Ljet FP must be used and the dizzy is nice too.

what is the new cam like listed above, compaired to teh 9550 cam? I am int eh market for a big 2 liter rebuild will be running 2 liter D-jet is the plan wnat a ncie street car with decent mpg and power.

what are the trade offs between these two cams????

Jake, Bleyseng opinions on the two cams please????
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Aug 30 2010, 01:41 PM
Post #8

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(realred914 @ Aug 30 2010, 09:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 30 2010, 01:47 AM) *

what is the new cam like listed above, compaired to teh 9550 cam? I am int eh market for a big 2 liter rebuild will be running 2 liter D-jet is the plan wnat a ncie street car with decent mpg and power.

what are the trade offs between these two cams????

Jake, Bleyseng opinions on the two cams please????

This isn't the place to answer this question..

If you have viewed my camshaft/ valvetrain presentation you'd know that **I** choose the best cam for your application based on a data sheet that you fill out after your camshaft is ordered.

I do things much differently than others, for a very good reason.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 30 2010, 03:14 PM
Post #9

Aircooled Baby!

If you want the best cam for your engine, fill out the forms and talk to Jake about your car....He will help you...

115hp and getting 30mpg is nice....
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Aug 30 2010, 03:48 PM
Post #10

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

...I like it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
love to have that 912-E (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
sfspeed
post Feb 3 2021, 02:09 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 24,184
Region Association: Northern California

Hello Everyone

Asking for some advice. I have a 74 1.8 L-jet running fine. Recently obtained a same year 2056 in a 1.8 case. Raby balanced, stock cam, hoffman heads. Wanted to transfer components from my existing engine to the 2056 and pray it works. Any advice? Would keeping my current injectors be ok or need to upgrade? Any more current advice or experience, as this thread is 10 years old, but probably remains relevant.

Thank you for your input.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 3 2021, 02:46 PM
Post #12

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(sfspeed @ Feb 3 2021, 02:09 PM) *

Hello Everyone

Asking for some advice. I have a 74 1.8 L-jet running fine. Recently obtained a same year 2056 in a 1.8 case. Raby balanced, stock cam, hoffman heads. Wanted to transfer components from my existing engine to the 2056 and pray it works. Any advice? Would keeping my current injectors be ok or need to upgrade? Any more current advice or experience, as this thread is 10 years old, but probably remains relevant.

Thank you for your input.

You will need bigger injectors... buy 4 injectors for a 1980 Datsun 280ZX. They have the right flow for this. I would also suggest that you do the bus throttle body mod you can find on here. The stock 1.8L Throttle body is a bit small for a 2056.

You will also need the 2.0 intake runners. The intake ports and head stud pattern are different between 2.0 Heads and 1.8 heads. The 2.0 runners are a bit shorter, but you can use longer hoses between the runners and the intake plenum.

Good luck!.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Clay
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Feb 4 2021, 04:37 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Just move the L-jet over the the 2056 and get it running per Clay's upgrades.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 5 2021, 07:26 AM
Post #14

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

The directions on how to put a Vanagon throttle body on an L-Jet 914 are here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2105683

Clay
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 05:59 PM